Author Topic: black friday deals  (Read 33985 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Staples HP DVD+/-R 50 Pack - $6 shipped
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2011, 12:26:16 AM »
Good deal IMHO.

DVD+R

DVD-R

OOS, ahhh, needed some, too.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline clownaparte

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
black friday deals
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
OOS, ahhh, needed some, too.
Seems they had an official limit of 5 per household - I ordered 6 yesterday and it went through...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: black friday deals
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2011, 05:59:34 PM »
Seems they had an official limit of 5 per household - I ordered 6 yesterday and it went through...

Wanna sell me one? :P
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline clownaparte

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2011, 01:13:01 AM »
Wanna sell me one? :P
I would, actually, but I got it to split w/ someone already...

Just arrived today. Funny, the CDs were packaged in the original HP box, 6x50 packs. The DVDs were also in original HP packaging: 4x50 packs. Two more DVD packs were loosely in staples box...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2011, 08:08:34 AM »
I would, actually, but I got it to split w/ someone already...

Just arrived today. Funny, the CDs were packaged in the original HP box, 6x50 packs. The DVDs were also in original HP packaging: 4x50 packs. Two more DVD packs were loosely in staples box...

You use that many blank DVDs? My last package of 50 lasted me like 3 years :P

Offline clownaparte

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
black friday deals
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2011, 08:17:52 AM »
You use that many blank DVDs? My last package of 50 lasted me like 3 years :P
It's because of my zen mantra: backup, backup, backup... :)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2011, 08:22:26 AM »
It's because of my zen mantra: backup, backup, backup... :)

Let me introduce you to a more cosr effective approach: external, portable hard drive. :P

Offline clownaparte

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
black friday deals
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2011, 08:28:41 AM »
Let me introduce you to a more cosr effective approach: external, portable hard drive. :P
Have you seen hard drive prices recently? I just bought 300 DVDs, or 1.41TB, for $36. Can you find me a comparable hard drive?

As it so happens, I back up to external hd as well. And to the cloud. And the data itself is on a raid 1 mirror. Can't be to careful.

Agav, I don't do all that for my personal data. There I just use external hd. I do it for my parents' business data. No use taking chances.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2011, 08:34:58 AM »
Have you seen hard drive prices recently? I just bought 300 DVDs, or 1.41TB, for $36. Can you find me a comparable hard drive?

As it so happens, I back up to external hd as well. And to the cloud. And the data itself is on a raid 1 mirror. Can't be to careful.

Agav, I don't do all that for my personal data. There I just use external hd. I do it for my parents' business data. No use taking chances.

Buying 1.41Tb for $36 isn't the entire story. After that 1.41TB is exhausted, you have to buy another 1.41TB. And then another. So, just assume you will spend $72.

I just bought a 1TB pocket hard drive for $55, and I can use that over and over and over. And the best thing? I can make incremental backups.

I guess you could do that using DVD-RW, but that's not what you bought AND it'd take forever and a day.

Offline clownaparte

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
black friday deals
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2011, 09:19:14 AM »
Buying 1.41Tb for $36 isn't the entire story. After that 1.41TB is exhausted, you have to buy another 1.41TB. And then another. So, just assume you will spend $72.

I just bought a 1TB pocket hard drive for $55, and I can use that over and over and over. And the best thing? I can make incremental backups.

I guess you could do that using DVD-RW, but that's not what you bought AND it'd take forever and a day.
Locally, I don't do incremental or differential backups. Too much of a pain when restoring. Also, I keep backups for a very, very, very long time.

That being said, as noted earlier, I also back up onto hard drives. However, the biggest problem with hard drives, is that one good failure will totally wipe you out. DVDs, on the other hand, are much more resilient (no moving parts!), and each one functions independently, so if one goes, the rest are still good.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2011, 09:49:16 AM »
Locally, I don't do incremental or differential backups. Too much of a pain when restoring. Also, I keep backups for a very, very, very long time.

That being said, as noted earlier, I also back up onto hard drives. However, the biggest problem with hard drives, is that one good failure will totally wipe you out. DVDs, on the other hand, are much more resilient (no moving parts!), and each one functions independently, so if one goes, the rest are still good.

I guess your tolerance for risk is just a bit lower than mine, but I think a local backup on a HD, and a remote backup in the cloud is good enough for about 95% of people, including myself. The DVDs just seem like a superfluous pain in the neck, IMHO. Then again, you may be in the 5% minority...

Offline clownaparte

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
black friday deals
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2011, 09:57:14 AM »
I guess your tolerance for risk is just a bit lower than mine, but I think a local backup on a HD, and a remote backup in the cloud is good enough for about 95% of people, including myself. The DVDs just seem like a superfluous pain in the neck, IMHO. Then again, you may be in the 5% minority...
Yep, I'm pretty risk averse with business critical data. I remember one restore last year where the data was corrupted and because the backups kept overwriting each other (cloud storage is most expensive per GB), the cloud data was corrupted as well. Local hard drive suddenly developed issues and kept hanging during restore. The optical disc backups saved the day.

BTW, even google backs up to tape! In 2011! :o

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2011, 10:11:49 AM »
Yep, I'm pretty risk averse with business critical data.

As you should be, I guess. Business critical data would presumably fall into the 5% minority.

I remember one restore last year where the data was corrupted and because the backups kept overwriting each other (cloud storage is most expensive per GB), the cloud data was corrupted as well. Local hard drive suddenly developed issues and kept hanging during restore. The optical disc backups saved the day.

Well, there we go. The risk-averse bird catches the worm :P

Offline clownaparte

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
black friday deals
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2011, 10:14:27 AM »
As you should be, I guess. Business critical data would presumably fall into the 5% minority.
Absolutely. At home I just backup to an external HD.

Well, there we go. The risk-averse bird catches the worm :P
Or the other way around. You know, that whole chicken/egg issue... ;)