Author Topic: Chargebacks in Israel  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Chargebacks in Israel
« on: February 15, 2015, 07:23:49 AM »
As anyone who has spent significant time in Israel knows,  businesses here are notorious for not honoring warranties or even their own return/exchange policies and all sorts of other consumer abuses.

The question is, how much is too much when it comes to chargbacks?  If it is truly justified, is there any limit?

Offline bitbythedog

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Chargebacks in Israel
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 09:02:34 AM »
"justified " is a relative term. You may think it is, while the vendor obviously feels otherwise. I know this is not the halachik forum, but when dealing with chargebacks, from non jews, and especially with jews you should consult a competent rav before you go ahead and do it.
If the store has already been paid by visa/mastercard then they are a 'muchzik' on the money and the ones is on you to prove you deserve your money back. The fact that there is an easy way to just chargeback might not make it halachikally acceptable. There is a whole chain of people/companies that may be adversely effected by one simple chargeback.
However if you do ask a rav and he says it is ok then there is obviously no 'limit' to what you can charge back. The torah recognizes a dollar and a million as the same. Halacha is halacha in small amounts or large.   
[scroll]...איזה הוא חכם[/scroll]

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:08:24 AM »
As anyone who has spent significant time in Israel knows,  businesses here are notorious for not honoring warranties or even their own return/exchange policies and all sorts of other consumer abuses.

The question is, how much is too much when it comes to chargbacks?  If it is truly justified, is there any limit?
Specific examples change things

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:30:30 AM »
I wasn't asking from a halachik point of view, for that I will consult a Rav.   I was wondering if at some point the bank will stop cooperating.

For a specific example, today my wife attempted to exchange some children's clothing bought in a chain store.  The stores policy (and IINM the law) allows exchanges for 14 days.  The woman in the store told her she may only exchange for the same item of clothing, of a different size or color.  Being that my wife thinks that the clothes design is defective, that was not an option.  In any case,  nowhere is it represented that those are the terms of the exchange policy.

From a halachik standpoint, if in fact the clothes design is defective,  I'm pretty certain it is a mekach taos.