Topic Wiki

If you are living or temporarily traveling in Israel; maximizing your american CC usage in Israel for traveling and points accrual
Feel free to edit

Best american CC's for use while in Israel (with no forex):
Chase cards click here
CSR, $300 travel credit including CityCar, public transportation purchases, taxis
Marriot Premier, United Explorer, CSP
Freedom/Freedom Unlimited-only when making online purchases from US stores

Did you know that some places in Israel are registered under the travel category so you will receive 3x whereas some places are not registered as a travel category then you only receive 1x with the CSR? Or a restaurant that is not categorized as a restaurant, so you only receive 1x instead of 3x? Are you aware of this??

I'm looking for people who live here to post what they have found. I have found that some stores are properly categorized while others are not. we are strictly speaking about maximizing american cc usage and points accrual.

Maybe some other people have experience using other american CC's like the Amex Plat and will share their experiences, or people with the new Capital One cc.

Which american credit card(s) do you use while in Israel?

This is a long needed post for those who are playing the credit card game from Israel.

« Last edited by yman on February 18, 2019, 03:31:51 PM »

Author Topic: MASTER THREAD: Using CC cards in Israel and maximizing benefits while traveling  (Read 16585 times)

Offline yman

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
does anyone recommend using the united card to get the additional 25000 bonus? or what about the Marriott card?

Offline shmielyosef

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
does anyone recommend using the united card to get the additional 25000 bonus? or what about the Marriott card?
If u don't want to apply for any other credit cards where you would be getting more for your spend...

Offline yman

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
If u don't want to apply for any other credit cards where you would be getting more for your spend...

like which cards? i have the explorer, marriott premier, csr, freedom unlimited, and spg.

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
like which cards? i have the explorer, marriott premier, csr, freedom unlimited, and spg.
Amex biz card? Citi cards? Find out which cards currently have good signup offers

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
what does this have to do with isreal aside from the fact that you use miles to travel (to isreal if you wish)

what is this thread for?
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline yman

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
what does this have to do with isreal aside from the fact that you use miles to travel (to isreal if you wish)

what is this thread for?

this thread is for maximizing cc spending in israel. in israel stores dont sell gift cards like they do in america. its harder to ms and take full advantage of the benefits. i was asking about the united card because it might be worth the extra spending for the point bonus but was asking if anyone who lives here doesn't think it's worth it.

Offline yman

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Amex biz card? Citi cards? Find out which cards currently have good signup offers

do you think its possible to take full advantage of the chase quinfecta here in israel? why would be worth it to have cards with high annual fees and not be able to take full advantage of them?

Offline shmielyosef

• View Profile
do you think its possible to take full advantage of the chase quinfecta here in israel? why would be worth it to have cards with high annual fees and not be able to take full advantage of them?
I’m not sure exactly what you mean by the quinfecta, but assuming it means having 5 cards with various bonus categories, not that possible since a lot of the categories you don’t really have here

You’re assuming it’s worth having them. Aside from the SUB, if the benefits of the card don’t make it worth it to keep the card, downgrade or close it

Offline yman

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Does anyone find it not worth using Chase credit cards in Israel? What other cards do you use to maximize on points?

Offline luv2trvlwithfam

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Does anyone find it not worth using Chase credit cards in Israel? What other cards do you use to maximize on points?

whats wrong with the CSR? lots of the food establishments and trains youlll get the 3X, no fx, why not worth using?

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
I use CSR.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline moe8555

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum

whats wrong with the CSR? lots of the food establishments and trains youlll get the 3X, no fx, why not worth using?

My portfolio of choice is Citi Prestige (5X on dining, OTAs/travel agencies, flights; 3X on direct hotels/cruises; 4th night free), Citi Premier (3X on all other travel and gas, 2X on entertainment; 1.25X redemptions via portal), and Barclays Arrival Premier (up to 3% or 2.1 miles per dollar on all other spend).

The Barclays fee can be offset by writing travel community posts, but I'm hoping to get some kind of retention when the time comes.

Offline bendor

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
When I'm not spending for a SUB, I use either the Citi Premier (which I've gotten retention on) or a cashback card.
I don't see the added benefits of the CSR worth the larger annual fee.

Offline yman

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
When I'm not spending for a SUB, I use either the Citi Premier (which I've gotten retention on) or a cashback card.
I don't see the added benefits of the CSR worth the larger annual fee.

what's a SUB?

Offline yman

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
My portfolio of choice is Citi Prestige (5X on dining, OTAs/travel agencies, flights; 3X on direct hotels/cruises; 4th night free), Citi Premier (3X on all other travel and gas, 2X on entertainment; 1.25X redemptions via portal), and Barclays Arrival Premier (up to 3% or 2.1 miles per dollar on all other spend).

The Barclays fee can be offset by writing travel community posts, but I'm hoping to get some kind of retention when the time comes.

what are the fees on the citi cards?

Offline SrulyS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline pointer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
the Cathay pacific cc gives 1.5 Asia miles per dollar spent outside the u.s.

I guess for places not coded as travel it might be worth it

Offline moe8555

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
what are the fees on the citi cards?

Prestige is $495 but has a $250 travel credit ($245 net). Premier is $95, first year free and good history of retention offers.  Barclays is $150, first year free and too new to know about retention (the discontinued Arrival Premier).

I'll definitely hold the Prestige (priority pass, 4NF, heavy spend in 5X categories) and Premier (for the 1.25X portal boost on any TYP earned and 3X gas), Barclays depends on retention although it's fairly easy to offset the fee with the first $15K milestone bonus or writing travel community posts.

Offline yman

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
any new updates or tips for anyone to share? @grodnoking @davidrotts63 ????

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
any new updates or tips for anyone to share? @grodnoking @davidrotts63 ????
UPS method.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch