Author Topic: United Newbie Status Challenge Question  (Read 738 times)

Offline Bizideas23

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
United Newbie Status Challenge Question
« on: January 01, 2019, 09:50:39 PM »
I booked some United economy Saver award tickets for myself, wife, and son.  IAD-EGE and EGE-DEN-OGG OGg-HNL-IAD.  I was surprised that they don’t include the first checked bag free.  It’s a 2 week trip and we need at least a couple of checked bags. 

After booking, I leveraged my A List status on WN to get a United challenge and temporary Silver status.  I think that may cover my bag and a possible upgrade to economy plus? 

I’m seeing status challenge “advice” being offered on EBay for Gold or Platinum challenge sign ups and temporary status for about $250.  Having such status for my wife would give us extra free bags that would cover the $250 cost. This also may give her the ability to get economy plus for our entire party.

Any advice on the merits of buying such challenges?

Would we still get these benefits even if obtained thru challenges after the award tix were booked?

No idea if my routes are upgrade eligible or if economy plus is even considered an upgrade.  Or if even possible on award tix.  Not expecting biz class or anything just hoping to get free bags and economy plus seats.  Should we separate our reservations?

Thanks in advance I’m a bit lost with United.  Using them for this trip only.

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: United Newbie Status Challenge Question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 11:35:53 PM »
Welcome to the forums

Yes, your silver status will grant you free bags 2 x 70 lb each (effective since Jan 1st 2019)

With silver status you can only choose economy plus seats within 24 hours of the flight.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 11:45:19 PM by nafnaf12 »
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline Bizideas23

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: United Newbie Status Challenge Question
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 12:14:07 PM »
Thanks

I’ve read that silver only get 2 free bags on flights to Europe