Author Topic: Mezuzah Fraud  (Read 6145 times)

Offline koplonko

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mezuzah Fraud
« Reply #255 on: January 08, 2019, 04:45:36 PM »
Oh. There's no doubt in my mind that the price will be raised by this fiasco, and sub $42 will no longer be available.
Ftfy

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 08, 2019, 05:50:02 PM »
Wow, they were right when they said the DDFers are aggressive against newbies.
Absolutely. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Online chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 08, 2019, 05:50:19 PM »
Huh?

Unlike quite a few around here, I don't know that you know me personally. I definitely don't know you, other than your DDF persona. Why in the world would you think that I know anyone, let alone a mashgiach, that goes to strip clubs?

FTR, I agree that seeing how a person acts in Shul and davens might be an indication of their Yiras Shomaim. I can tell you with almost absolute certainty that the owner of Judaica World would not talk during davening, definitely not during Kadish, and I'm pretty sure that the same hold true for his son-in-law (even before his recently assumed position of 11 months community service).

You mentioned mashgichim of pesach programs that ate chametz on pesach.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 08, 2019, 06:16:56 PM »
I did?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 08, 2019, 06:44:49 PM »
I did?
That may have been me. (I know I mentioned it, I don't whether or not you did as well.)

Online chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 08, 2019, 08:32:03 PM »
That may have been me. (I know I mentioned it, I don't whether or not you did as well.)

Someone mentioned #1 mashgichim in pesach programs eating chometz (bread?) Someone definitely mentioned vodka.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 08, 2019, 09:02:31 PM »
Someone mentioned #1 mashgichim in pesach programs eating chometz (bread?) Someone definitely mentioned vodka.

You didn't answer the question:

I did?

Vodka can be 100% Kosher L'Pesach.
-- Dan

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 09, 2019, 06:33:45 PM »
You didn't answer the question:

Vodka can be 100% Kosher L'Pesach.
In the context of the post it was clearly chometz (iirc vodka was not the word used but I'm not 100% sure on that)

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 10, 2019, 01:23:26 AM »
Torah is not a Litvish thing , or a Sefardi/ Chasidic thing .
Itís Hashems Torah !!
Besides The word Hashem is being removed and replaced with Lubavitch . Itís shocking.
Take your hashkafos, and go to JS !!! stop clogging a nice, beautiful TR.......
Done

Offline yakrot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 10, 2019, 03:23:30 PM »
Coincidental choice for Halacha of the day email?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 10, 2019, 03:42:10 PM »
Coincidental choice for Halacha of the day email?
Not one bit of a coincidence. I also saw their letter. People like to suggest solutions that sound grandiose when the solution lies in plain view!

If EVERYONE, starting from the merchants, and continuing through the consumers, would insist on having the NAME of the sofer that wrote whatever they are buying, 99% of problems would never exist in the first place. (A similar solution applies to many other areas ואכמ"ל). But unfortunately, that requires a drop more sense of personal responsibility, and since עולם גולם, as long as we can show a certificate, and the person behind the certificate has the right look, everything is OK.

I am quite friendly with a few of the merchants/sofrim in the "expose". I spoke to one of them, and he told me that he thinks it's a good solution to have every Mezuzah inspected by an independent sofer right after purchase. I asked him if he knows the names of the sofrim that write every Mezuzah he sells, as required by the letter from 32 years ago. He said that he generally does for Mezuzos $50 and higher. I then proceeded to ask him how much he charges to check a Mezuzah. $6 was his response. So why buy a Mezuzah from an unnamed Sofer for $42 and spend another $6 checking it for a total of $48, when one can spend $50 and get presumably a nicer Mezuzah with a named source?

People have to wake up, see through the marketing smoke and mirrors, and just ask simple questions that require simple answers. All of the sudden things will fall into line.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:48:24 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 10, 2019, 05:11:30 PM »
Not one bit of a coincidence. I also saw their letter. People like to suggest solutions that sound grandiose when the solution lies in plain view!

If EVERYONE, starting from the merchants, and continuing through the consumers, would insist on having the NAME of the sofer that wrote whatever they are buying, 99% of problems would never exist in the first place. (A similar solution applies to many other areas ואכמ"ל). But unfortunately, that requires a drop more sense of personal responsibility, and since עולם גולם, as long as we can show a certificate, and the person behind the certificate has the right look, everything is OK.

I am quite friendly with a few of the merchants/sofrim in the "expose". I spoke to one of them, and he told me that he thinks it's a good solution to have every Mezuzah inspected by an independent sofer right after purchase. I asked him if he knows the names of the sofrim that write every Mezuzah he sells, as required by the letter from 32 years ago. He said that he generally does for Mezuzos $50 and higher. I then proceeded to ask him how much he charges to check a Mezuzah. $6 was his response. So why buy a Mezuzah from an unnamed Sofer for $42 and spend another $6 checking it for a total of $48, when one can spend $50 and get presumably a nicer Mezuzah with a named source?

People have to wake up, see through the marketing smoke and mirrors, and just ask simple questions that require simple answers. All of the sudden things will fall into line.
How does the name alone help? I can know the sofer's name and have no idea if he does good work or not - and more importantly, whether what I'm buying is a rare instance of that sofer not doing good work. If the seller is not doing their own checking, and the buyer is not bringing it to be checked immediately, why does a name help?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 10, 2019, 05:16:53 PM »
How does the name alone help? I can know the sofer's name and have no idea if he does good work or not - and more importantly, whether what I'm buying is a rare instance of that sofer not doing good work. If the seller is not doing their own checking, and the buyer is not bringing it to be checked immediately, why does a name help?

Try it, and you'll see it works wonders. Let me know the next time you buy STaM of a NAMED sofer that is found posul (in a way that didn't happen after purchase, such as letter cracking due to weather or folding).

It creates accountability and a level of transparency.

The fact is that all the "problems" turned up in Mezuzos where the Sofer who wrote them cannot be immediately named.
-- Dan

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 11, 2019, 09:33:50 AM »

The short answers to this question:
- People are pennywise and pound foolish
- If someone is buying one mezuzah, it's a no brainer, but if someone has moved into a new home (or has just become frum, and wants to outfit their existing home) - they could be buying 5-10 mezuzos - so that $6-8 dollar difference is one or two extra mezzuos - a hard sell, especially when you're selling someone on becoming frum. I imagine that a fair amount of sluchim get the mivtzoim mezuzos for their mispallelim knowing that they can only get them to commit so much and under the assumption of being kosher l'chatchila, even to a lower standard.