Author Topic: Mezuzah Fraud  (Read 73237 times)

Online koplonko

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mezuzah Fraud
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2019, 11:17:48 PM »
No
These mezuzah were sold as kosher lchatchila

Online zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2019, 11:22:53 PM »
These mezuzah were sold as kosher lchatchila

I don't think that is true (at least for some of the stores).

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2019, 11:26:08 PM »
I'm very curious to hear some actual mareh mekomos. Mukaf gvil is a gemara, and is paskened l'halacha as a psul by tur, shu'a, rambam and others.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2019, 02:25:08 AM »

Seems like this guy has an agenda. I'm not sure exactly what it is, maybe to make his name known? Maybe to boost sales for Machon Stam?
He goes way too far by listing the name of each sofer behind the stores and showing the pictures of each. He's a total fraud in my opinion.

Of course he has an agenda, why can't it be that it's simply to raise awareness and make sure people get what they pay for and have mezuzas that are kosher lchatchila? Not everyone has an  ulterior motive.
I found it pretty humorous that your retort for him calling out a fraud is to go ahead and call him a fraud.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2019, 03:03:45 AM »

Of course he has an agenda, why can't it be that it's simply to raise awareness and make sure people get what they pay for and have mezuzas that are kosher lchatchila? Not everyone has an  ulterior motive.
I found it pretty humorous that your retort for him calling out a fraud is to go ahead and call him a fraud.
To be fair I don’t know if he needed to name actual names to make his point, in which case he’s playing with 🔥
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2019, 09:01:31 AM »
I was recently in the market for a new mezuzah. I went to my local seforim store to inquire, they showed me different options, this one for $50 the other for $70. As I was weighing my options, I saw a whole stack that he didn't even mention. I asked him what the price on those mezuzahs were, he's like "Oh, those? You can't afford them. They're for kollel yungerleit."
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline IGBES

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2019, 11:42:50 AM »
Response from Oraita, Rabbi Gad Sebag:

In light of the latest video that was published I was asked to respond.

In my 26 years being a sofer I tried very hard to stay away from מחלוקת especially one that is not לשם שמים. However in this case… I have to respond to clarify.

I would like to mention that each mezuzah sold by Oraita is carefully checked by one of our certified magihim in our office.  And while we try our very best שגיאות מי יבין And There is always room for improvement.

And to the report.

I showed to many magihim in the US and Eretz Yisroel the issues mentioned by the report and they were puzzled.

The letters צ showed in the reports are not even questions. (clear space between the 2 heads. Kosher lechatchila.

The disconnect parts of letters that are reported as posul are not ניכר להדיא (visible enough) and therefore kosher as is even without repair.

As for the spacing between letters in the same word a couple of them could have been closer but not posul.

I do have to notice that those same issues appear in the others report that for some reason was kosher there.

דרשני?

I also notice new concepts in halocho such as שאלת תינוק in spacing issues…? Not mentioned in shulchon oruch.

And that brings me to one conclusion.

A good כוונה might have been there perhaps but ניקיון ידיים איו כאן.

Relying on a single unknown magiah to do a character killing of many people and people’s livelihood is wrong.

The poor choice of how to do this and the public shaming of sofrim is wrong.

The refusal to have a multiple neutral hagoho performed of these mezuzos and then review the outcome is screaming foul.

Putting the rebbe’s name and mivtsoim as a preface to this is unacceptable.

Saying that hundreds of thousands of mezuzos used by yiden around the globe are posul is wrong.

Taking this to YouTube and out to the world with WhatsApp is so wrong.

What yeshiva and which mashpia or parent taught you that. The bitterness and anger of this individual and lack of בנחת נשמעים…. is disturbing.

The purpose here was not to educate customers and to have sofrim improve.

It’s wrong to hide behind איצטלא דרבנן and Holy causes when הידיים ידי עשו.

I see a קנאות but no pinchus. However, korachs name and his מחלוקת is all over the place.
The damage caused by these individuals is irreversible and may hashem have rachmunus on them and forgive them.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the dozens of customers that contacted me in past day showing their support and love.

It’s heartwarming and I thank hashem for such great clientele. No infomercial or money can buy that.

We all the sofrim are unified (a miracle) and will do everything to protect ourselves and families.

I will conclude with hope and pray of ברכינו אבינו כולנו כאחד with achdus. And we should be zoche to the coming of moshiach speedily in our days.

Sincerely.
Oraita Inc.
Rabbi Gad Sebag
Sofer stam.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2019, 12:20:37 PM »

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2019, 12:44:47 PM »

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2019, 12:46:50 PM »

It was probably quite assur and wrong of him to name names just based off of his personal sofrim, and now let’s see what bes din decides. I don’t know if calling him a fraud is wrong.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2019, 12:50:02 PM »
apparently the 'psulim' he mentions might be so according to AR but not necessarily  according to all poskim.

but the mocher should not have agreed to sell to 'anash' personal use...

that's a good point - he holds to the standard of the expected customer (in this case, I believe the expected customer is the shaliach who originally ordered them, not his 'mispallel' that he might have been ordering on behalf of).

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2019, 12:51:30 PM »
Obviously l'chol hadeios these are not mehudar mezuzahs, but to say that they're straight-up passul and to name and shame stores -without getting their side of the story- when it's apparently not so cut and dry, when there are many differing opinions, seems pretty inappropriate.

Offline yitzyul

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2019, 01:08:39 PM »
[quote Relying on a single unknown magiah to do a character killing of many people and people’s livelihood is wrong.

The poor choice of how to do this and the public shaming of sofrim is wrong.

The refusal to have a multiple neutral hagoho performed of these mezuzos and then review the outcome is screaming foul]
[/quote]
+1

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2019, 01:13:24 PM »
This whole story is interesting. I definitely think that there is more backstory here. Why would someone go out and spend 3-4000 of their own money to do this? If I give him (R'Wolf) the benefit of the doubt that he truly is doing this l'shaim shamayim, why go this route? Did he try to go to Bes Din before making the video?

I hope that the Din Torah, or at least him appearing before bes din will shed some light on the matter

while I appreciate R' Sebags response, and the fact that all of the sofrim in the video have taken him to a din torah, one quote stuck out more than the rest:

We all the sofrim are unified (a miracle) and will do everything to protect ourselves and families.

I hope that this 'everything to protect ourselves' turns out to be that R'Wolf is bending the truth,  and not that the sofrim are willing to sell mezuzos that are pasul.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2019, 01:16:21 PM »
Did he try to go to Bes Din before making the video?

I hope that the Din Torah, or at least him appearing before bes din will shed some light on the matter

I know nothing about this particular case but all I can say is that unfortunately the Bes Din situation in CH is extremely messed up.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2019, 01:25:53 PM »
I know nothing about this particular case but all I can say is that unfortunately the Bes Din situation in CH is extremely messed up.
I know nothing about the Bais Din situation in CH, but everywhere else that I know of it's pretty messed up.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2019, 01:28:42 PM »
I know nothing about the Bais Din situation in CH
Consider yourself lucky :)

This is not the CH BD

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2019, 01:45:22 PM »
Consider yourself lucky :)
Meh, I doubt it's any worse than anywhere else.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline yuds70

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2019, 02:07:28 PM »

spend 3-4000
He mentioned in the comment section of the YouTube video that he spent over $7k on this.
Make stuff happen.

Offline 12HRS

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2019, 02:26:45 PM »
He mentioned in the comment section of the YouTube video that he spent over $7k on this.

Wonder who hes planning on selling them to :P