Author Topic: Arlington Hotel (kosher [UPDATE: not any more]), NH  (Read 12179 times)

Offline Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
Re: Arlington Hotel (kosher), NH
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2020, 10:16:36 AM »
Definitely agree with this. But do you think people will go to a hotel in the Catskills/Poconos? Does that have any appeal?
Yes look at Bushkill inn usually fully booked when they have a kosher program

Offline JuryDuty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2020, 10:17:38 AM »
Yes look at Bushkill inn usually fully booked when they have a kosher program

But is that viable for year-round? How percentage of the time/how often are they open for kosher?
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline Joel

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2020, 10:22:18 AM »
But is that  viable for year-round? How percentage of the time/how often are they open for kosher?
IMO Yes. Not sure

Online SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2020, 10:43:21 AM »
I didn't know it was around for that long. What went wrong?
My grandfather told me about his trip there, which was probably in the '60s.  He said even then it was called the "New Arlington" and was ancient.  This was the same hotel we visited probably around 2005 and again a few years later.  A few years after that, we were in the area and the building had been torn down.  Then they rebuilt.  During our visits, we spoke with people who recalled the old glory days, about how the hotel used to be packed for meals.  Frum people used to go to Bethlehem for the summer in droves, and even if they didn't stay at the Arlington, they would eat there.  Although people still go, it's just not at the same level.
44/50, 46/63

Offline mme

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2020, 10:48:05 AM »
My grandfather told me about his trip there, which was probably in the '60s.  He said even then it was called the "New Arlington" and was ancient.  This was the same hotel we visited probably around 2005 and again a few years later.  A few years after that, we were in the area and the building had been torn down.  Then they rebuilt.  During our visits, we spoke with people who recalled the old glory days, about how the hotel used to be packed for meals.  Frum people used to go to Bethlehem for the summer in droves, and even if they didn't stay at the Arlington, they would eat there.  Although people still go, it's just not at the same level.
they were quite expensive maybe that's why ppl stopped going there to eat

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2020, 10:52:25 AM »
they were quite expensive maybe that's why ppl stopped going there to eat

That's the problem. It's probably really expensive to run, but if you charge high prices, nobody will come
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2020, 11:05:40 AM »
Definitely agree with this. But do you think people will go to a hotel in the Catskills/Poconos? Does that have any appeal?
NH definitely sounds more exotic. Does Bushkill have a kosher program year around? If not, they already have the facilities so why dont they open all year?
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2020, 12:50:47 PM »
IMO it was to far out from NY/NJ
A hotel in PA would be much better location
They also poured in a Crap load of money, i had a long convo with the owner and they were just desperate to get their money out, they kinda gave up after a year +, had they kept up with the service and quality they had the 1st year i think they would've made it.
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Naftuli19

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2020, 12:53:40 PM »
they were really relying on families and programs to take out the hotel, and it was getting more popular to do but once they lost the great food it kinda fell apart
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2020, 04:52:19 PM »
They also poured in a Crap load of money, i had a long convo with the owner and they were just desperate to get their money out, they kinda gave up after a year +, had they kept up with the service and quality they had the 1st year i think they would've made it.
i believe there was a fallout between the owners which affected the service and quality once one of them left
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline Luvtotravel

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2020, 04:52:59 PM »
those good old days! i actually ran the place in 2002
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Online ah giten

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2020, 10:41:50 PM »
If Raliegh that is so old, smelly and overpriced,  is packed every shabos in the summer... don't you think a new hotel will succeed?

Offline JuryDuty

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2020, 11:36:19 PM »
If Raliegh that is so old, smelly and overpriced,  is packed every shabos in the summer... don't you think a new hotel will succeed?

But does it only make sense for the summer? And can you be profitable for just shabbos? And essentially it's just a program taking over the hotel for summer

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2020, 04:58:33 AM »
But does it only make sense for the summer? And can you be profitable for just shabbos? And essentially it's just a program taking over the hotel for summer
The break even for a regular standard hotel is 40% occupancy.
A high-end hotel or any hotel with a lot more f&b has a lower break even % since f&b is where the money's at.
An extended stay hotel will have a higher break even since they tend to do less f&b.
To be fairly profitable you need 75% occupancy.
I'd say kosher has its own unique set of challenges, so even if you do a lot of f&b, it cost more and is therefore closer to a standard hotel.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2020, 05:44:45 AM »
The break even for a regular standard hotel is 40% occupancy.
A high-end hotel or any hotel with a lot more f&b has a lower break even % since f&b is where the money's at.
An extended stay hotel will have a higher break even since they tend to do less f&b.
To be fairly profitable you need 75% occupancy.
I'd say kosher has its own unique set of challenges, so even if you do a lot of f&b, it cost more and is therefore closer to a standard hotel.
What's f&b?
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2020, 07:58:22 AM »
What's f&b?
Food and Beverage Services

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2021, 02:14:21 PM »
Seems like the Arlington is now called The Chandler, An Ascend Collection Hotel, Choice Hotels.  16k per night for a 2 bdr suite.

Offline nucheiner

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2021, 02:25:43 PM »
Seems like the Arlington is now called The Chandler, An Ascend Collection Hotel, Choice Hotels.  16k per night for a 2 bdr suite.
That would be unreal for a kosher hotel! Can the title be changed to non-kosher to avoid confusion.