Author Topic: Time Travel  (Read 10803 times)

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Time Travel
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2019, 06:01:07 PM »
What about rashba opinion that the world goes through 6000 year cycles? Do we do everything exactly the same way every 6k years?

Next time around I’m going to town on the citi and chase 5% unlimited cards and 100k Amex and AA links. Oh and I’m buying bitcoin at $10. Just have to make a note to self to sell when it hits 20k...

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »
I have a friend who bought $1,000 worth of Microsoft stock in college in the eighties, in one year he doubled his money and thought that was good so he sold it for $2,000 now it would have been worth millions

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2019, 08:25:08 PM »
You have a better explanation for the  Schrödinger's Cat problem?
His entire point was to show that it made no sense.

BTW, it seems to me that his illustration was wrong because it depended on observation by the device
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2019, 08:37:36 PM »
His entire point was to show that it made no sense.

BTW, it seems to me that his illustration was wrong because it depended on observation by the device
I agree. Also never understood why the cat itself wouldn't be sufficient to measure the particle. But I don't have the chutzpah to ask questions on quantum mechanics.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2019, 10:33:14 AM »
Would you go back in time and kill Hitler as a child? It would save millions of lives of those who perished in the holocaust, but would simultaneously eliminate millions of people alive today whose parents would never have met, likely including you. Of course if you don’t exist you could never have travelled back in time to kill Hitler....

I succeeded in building a time machine and decided to make eliminating Hitler my first mission. I actually recruited an old yerushalmi from the old yishuv in Yerushalayim to go back in time and eliminate Hitler. I figured that was safer than an American who might just disappear and create a time paradox. He succeeded, but then it turned out that he died as a child in the Pan Arab uprising of ‘46 that resulted in the murder of 98% of the Jews in Palestine, and hundreds of thousand of Jews across the Arabian countries, when the Arabs, aided by several European countries attacked the Jews, and no Western country was willing to come to their aid.

A decade later in the late ‘50s there was a global push to take responsibility, and many museums were built around the world to commemorate the tragedy of the Jews of Palestine. It was at that point, faced with the horror of what I had caused, that I destroyed the Time machine, never to attempt to build one again.

However around 20 years after my mission, a neo Nazi sympathizer, having heard the family legend of how Hitler was on the cusp of creating a Germany that would endure forever, when he was assasinated by an old Jew, managed to build his own time machine, travelled back in time, and warned Hitler, who escaped the assasination attempt, and the rest is history....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 10:47:07 AM by yzj »

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2019, 03:19:46 AM »
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2019, 04:01:55 AM »

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2019, 04:15:49 AM »
Time travel is related to the existence of alternate timelines and being able to traverse the multiverse.

I believe you are conflating two (or more) separate concepts. 

Time travel is to travel back in time in your time line.

Alternate timelines are a theory of what may happen if you change your timeline. Or you may just destroy the original timeline.  Or time travel might be impossible (most likely IMHO.)

Multiverse is a concept developed by evolutionists to get around the statistical impossibility of life arising through random natural processes.

Many worlds interpretation is a theory to explain certain apparent logical impossibilities in QM. 

According to the multiverse theory, there is a universe for every possible reality including one that is identical to ours but 1 second younger and another one 2 seconds younger etc.  If a traveler would travel to a universe like ours but 500 years younger he would feel like he traveled back in time 500 years, but in fact he just moved to a different universe.

So time travel is related to multiverse only in that even if time travel is impossible, some thing that feels like time travel to the traveler might be possible if multiverse is true and travel between universes is possible.

Offline Boruch999

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2019, 04:25:17 AM »
https://phys.org/news/2019-03-physicists-reverse-quantum.amp

I don't understand a word of it.

Here's my understanding.

Materialists must believe that time is a function of how things behave in the physical universe.  So if I reverse the natural behavior of a particular particle so that it returns to a more ordered state with out an ordering influence I can be said to have reversed time.

In fact, they have not even done this.  They have postulated that a naturally occurring ordering influence happens randomly once in the entire universe every 14 billion years.  Then they replicated that ordering influence and succeeded in returning the particles to there original state 85% of the time in a simple version of the experiment and 50% in a more complex version. 

They have reversed time as much as I would if a hurricane blew down my house and I rebuilt it afterwards to its original state.  They claim that on the scale of one electron, this will happen by itself once in 14 billion years.

If the physical universe exists within time, then this experiment has no bearing on time or time travel. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:34:40 AM by Boruch999 »

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2019, 07:47:36 AM »
https://phys.org/news/2019-03-physicists-reverse-quantum.amp

I don't understand a word of it.
It sounds more like undoing something that happened in the past, not traveling to the past.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD