Author Topic: Barcode Technology and Hardware  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Barcode Technology and Hardware
« on: May 29, 2016, 08:35:16 PM »
I am looking for a solution to keep track of points that kids accumulate in school. I've tried many ways and have yet to find the right solution that is both efficient and practical. I was thinking that perhaps a barcode system where each kid has a unique code and the software keeps track of how many points he accumulated and how many were redeemed for prizes etc. would be a good idea.

I was wondering
  • If anyone here knows if such a system makes sense and whether it is at all possible
  • What would be the right way to go about it, and what I should expect to pay for such a system
Thank you

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Barcode Technology and Hardware
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 04:36:26 PM »
I am looking for a solution to keep track of points that kids accumulate in school. I've tried many ways and have yet to find the right solution that is both efficient and practical. I was thinking that perhaps a barcode system where each kid has a unique code and the software keeps track of how many points he accumulated and how many were redeemed for prizes etc. would be a good idea.

I was wondering
  • If anyone here knows if such a system makes sense and whether it is at all possible
  • What would be the right way to go about it, and what I should expect to pay for such a system
Thank you
seems like an ambiguous project, good luck!
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline ryg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 05:04:08 PM »

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 05:12:57 PM »
Do you need it to be fancy or just something that works for cheap? How many people need access?

If you want fancy, 1 post up looks good. Seems pricey though.
This looks a lot cheaper. https://www.pbisrewards.com/ . Call them. It may or may not be what you're looking for.

If you want something that works, you can create (or pay someone to create) something like this in Google Sheets (with Google Forms and student-barcodes for the points earning submissions). Use Google Sheets as a simple database.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 05:20:57 PM by lubaby »

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 05:16:14 PM »
Question, does the school have a student + staff datebase/records software? That might have some unexplored features for points / rewards that can be linked to students.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 06:47:24 PM »
Question, does the school have a student + staff datebase/records software? That might have some unexplored features for points / rewards that can be linked to students.
I do know the school has the JL system if you're familiar with that. I'm not that familiar with it but I do know that it's supposed to be a very extensive system with many many features. I guess I'll have to find out if this can be implemented.

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 07:08:53 PM »
I do know the school has the JL system if you're familiar with that. I'm not that familiar with it but I do know that it's supposed to be a very extensive system with many many features. I guess I'll have to find out if this can be implemented.
Not familiar with any school systems. I do have experience with excel and databases though.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 07:38:26 PM »
Not familiar with any school systems. I do have experience with excel and databases though.
So do you see such a thing working? I basically need a way to enter the kids' earned points in an easy and efficient way, and then to be able to deduct any points redeemed in a "store" that sells rewards. Perhaps a barcode system is the wrong way to go, I don't know. The PBIS mentioned above looked very much on target, I just didn't like that their pricing works per student per year. I would very much like to have something I buy once and own it.

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 08:13:59 PM »
So do you see such a thing working? I basically need a way to enter the kids' earned points in an easy and efficient way, and then to be able to deduct any points redeemed in a "store" that sells rewards. Perhaps a barcode system is the wrong way to go, I don't know. The PBIS mentioned above looked very much on target, I just didn't like that their pricing works per student per year. I would very much like to have something I buy once and own it.
Certainly.

Any "fancy" system (barcode or otherwise) is built around the database tables where all the information is stored.

Building something like what I have in mind will give you the back-end of any of these systems without all the pretty colors and smooth edges.

Offline CS1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 08:57:23 PM »
Certainly.

Any "fancy" system (barcode or otherwise) is built around the database tables where all the information is stored.

Building something like what I have in mind will give you the back-end of any of these systems without all the pretty colors and smooth edges.

there is currently a scan-and-add-points barcode system within Tzivos Hashem. Each student's ID card is scannable and the teachers/adults can add points.
I'm looking for the visual graphics link to explain it to you. The basics are here: http://www.chabadchildren.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/2244322/jewish/THKids-How-It-Works.htm
CKids Mileage Program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFWuDKTZAk8
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 01:50:42 PM »
I'm familiar With  the JL system. I think they have such type of options, you can call in to their Support dept. They have a great team.
["-"]

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 12:07:50 AM »

I was wondering
Thank you
What did you end up doing?
["-"]