Author Topic: Hardware VPN question  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
Hardware VPN question
« on: August 01, 2011, 01:54:10 PM »
I'm looking into buying something like this

Anyone know how the client connects? Is there a software that gets installed on the client system? is it a manual set up like a windows networking thing?

Any info would be appreciated
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hardware VPN question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 03:11:52 PM »
I'm looking into buying something like this

Anyone know how the client connects? Is there a software that gets installed on the client system? is it a manual set up like a windows networking thing?

Any info would be appreciated

From the manual it seems to say that you can either use the Cisco client or the native windows client (looks more complicated but I don't see why it can't be added via the wizard, I have done so in the past).

Do you need an actual VPN box or would using the VPN built in to something like DD-WRT be enough?

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:44:47 PM »
From the manual it seems to say that you can either use the Cisco client or the native windows client (looks more complicated but I don't see why it can't be added via the wizard, I have done so in the past).

Do you need an actual VPN box or would using the VPN built in to something like DD-WRT be enough?
A DD-WRT would be fine, but would it be wrong to assume I would get better performance out of this?

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 05:01:03 PM »
A DD-WRT would be fine, but would it be wrong to assume I would get better performance out of this?

A dedicated box would definitely have greater performance, but if it is for just one user I doubt it would be noticeable...

If you have a spare older lying around another option is to install something like IPCop on it and use it as a Firewall/Router/VPN box...

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:49:06 PM »
A dedicated box would definitely have greater performance, but if it is for just one user I doubt it would be noticeable...

If you have a spare older lying around another option is to install something like IPCop on it and use it as a Firewall/Router/VPN box...
IPCop- Very cool.
But I don't have the time or energy to set it up. I think I'm gonna try the box.

Offline IT

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 09:29:11 AM »
this router is a great price - with this VPN feature

Step 1:  Create username and password under VPN clients account in your RVS4000. Make sure that it shows active under VPN client's List Table.

Step 2: Take note of your internet IP address, can be seen in the router's status page.

Step 3: Install the QVPN software from the remote computer (make sure that your using the latest software - can be download from Linksys website)

Step 4: Make sure that all firewall software or build-in firewall are disable from the remote pc

Step 5: Launch the QVPN and enter all necessary information like the profile name, username and password, Server IP address (this is the Internet IP from your RVS4000 router), and set to auto.

note: make sure that the RVS4000 is not behind another router like a modem router device because it make block the VPN ports.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 12:31:44 PM »
this router is a great price - with this VPN feature

Step 1:  Create username and password under VPN clients account in your RVS4000. Make sure that it shows active under VPN client's List Table.

Step 2: Take note of your internet IP address, can be seen in the router's status page.

Step 3: Install the QVPN software from the remote computer (make sure that your using the latest software - can be download from Linksys website)

Step 4: Make sure that all firewall software or build-in firewall are disable from the remote pc

Step 5: Launch the QVPN and enter all necessary information like the profile name, username and password, Server IP address (this is the Internet IP from your RVS4000 router), and set to auto.

note: make sure that the RVS4000 is not behind another router like a modem router device because it make block the VPN ports.
Thanks. I actually got the RV220W, but I'm assuming it's basically the same idea