Author Topic: Aborted Landing (with thouchdown) Experience  (Read 6238 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Aborted Landing (with thouchdown) Experience
« on: January 21, 2019, 03:24:30 PM »
I was on DL1770 yesterday evening, and captain announced that due to expected turbulence close to our destination, he will turn on the seatbelt signs early and cabin service will end.

On approach to LGA it was a little turbulent, as plane was wobbling side to side, but no drops or anything of the sort. As the plane was approaching the runway, the wobbling continued, and was more than I recall experiencing ever before, and eventually the rear landing gear touched down, only to have the pilot give full thrust and take off again for a go around. About a minute later the captain came on the PA system and just said that he's doing a go-around in order to land.

Apparently FlightRader24.com intervals doesn't seem to catch the actual touch down, as the lowest altitude it seems to show on the first approach is 350ft.

I wasn't really paying attention to the flight data on the seatback screen on the first approach, but on the second approach I noticed over 40mph headwinds upon approach, and about 25mph headwinds on landing. The second landing was relatively smooth IMHO. Though there was some wobbling on approach, and obviously panicky passengers with every smallest tilt of the aircraft. Upon touchdown of rear landing gear most people began clapping, I waited until the front gear touched down, as I clearly remembered what happened on the first touchdown.

DW slept through the first touchdown with infant in arms, and was awoken by what sounded like panicky gasps with every little tilt from a passenger directly behind her during the go around. Across the aisle from me I could hear a female passenger crying hysterically, and DW says she overheard people mentioning (baseless) fear of running out of fuel. I really didn't know what to make of this, and was wondering if winds made it impossible to land at LGA and we might be diverted to another airport.

I am sure the captain did everything in the most professional way to land the aircraft safely. My only beef with the situation was the lack of transparency. I think it would have been much better (and calming to the passengers) if the captain would have come on the PA system and explained what had happened on the first approach, and why it is safe to make a go-around and land in LGA with the prevailing weather conditions.

Any pilots on DDF that want to share insights, or anyone with similar experiences, please share.

On a side note, my weekend trip was booked quite late, so I ended up going to FL on Southwest with a connection in TPA (seemed like a large percentage of LGA-TPA passengers continued to FLL). It's been a while since I last flew Southwest, and while having free checked bags is nice, and I actually think open seating and their boarding system works very well, I found the DL hard and soft product to be by far superior (though both DW and I were surprised that none of the DL flight attendants ever heard of, or seen, a Yoyo stroller - they couldn't believe when I showed them how it folds up and fits in the overhead bin). On the short hop from TPA to FLL they just made an announcement that due to expected turbulence there will be no snack and beverage service on the flight. Needless to say there was no noticeable turbulence.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:45:38 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
Re: Aborted Landing Experience
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 03:27:20 PM »
I’ve had an aborted landing and the pilot said it was due to a plane still being on the runway. Looked into it and there were a few similar incidences over that month at JFK. Stuff happens ;)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 03:35:07 PM »
I’ve had an aborted landing and the pilot said it was due to a plane still being on the runway. Looked into it and there were a few similar incidences over that month at JFK. Stuff happens ;)

Several years ago I had an aborted landing at FLL, and pilot said it was due to livestock grazing too close to the runway, but IINM yesterday's experience was the first time I've experienced an aborted landing that actually involved a touchdown on the first attempt.
-- Dan

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 03:42:36 PM »
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/dl1770#1f3df928

Apparently FlightRader24.com intervals doesn't seem to catch the actual touch down,
it pings every ~20 seconds. seems like the touchdown was between pings
["-"]

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Aborted Landing (with thouchdown) Experience
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 04:24:04 PM »
And here I though you only took that flight because of the flight number
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 05:04:35 PM »
And here I though you only took that flight because of the flight number

I absolutely did mention ahead of time that with this flight number we will definitely arrive safely.
-- Dan

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 06:03:51 PM »
I was on DL1770 yesterday evening, and captain announced that due to expected turbulence close to our destination, he will turn on the seatbelt signs early and cabin service will end.

On approach to LGA it was a little turbulent, as plane was wobbling side to side, but no drops or anything of the sort. As the plane was approaching the runway, the wobbling continued, and was more than I recall experiencing ever before, and eventually the rear landing gear touched down, only to have the pilot give full thrust and take off again for a go around. About a minute later the captain came on the PA system and just said that he's doing a go-around in order to land.

Apparently FlightRader24.com intervals doesn't seem to catch the actual touch down, as the lowest altitude it seems to show on the first approach is 350ft.

I wasn't really paying attention to the flight data on the seatback screen on the first approach, but on the second approach I noticed over 40mph headwinds upon approach, and about 25mph headwinds on landing. The second landing was relatively smooth IMHO. Though there was some wobbling on approach, and obviously panicky passengers with every smallest tilt of the aircraft. Upon touchdown of rear landing gear most people began clapping, I waited until the front gear touched down, as I clearly remembered what happened on the first touchdown.

DW slept through the first touchdown with infant in arms, and was awoken by what sounded like panicky gasps with every little tilt from a passenger directly behind her during the go around. Across the aisle from me I could hear a female passenger crying hysterically, and DW says she overheard people mentioning (baseless) fear of running out of fuel. I really didn't know what to make of this, and was wondering if winds made it impossible to land at LGA and we might be diverted to another airport.

I am sure the captain did everything in the most professional way to land the aircraft safely. My only beef with the situation was the lack of transparency. I think it would have been much better (and calming to the passengers) if the captain would have come on the PA system and explained what had happened on the first approach, and why it is safe to make a go-around and land in LGA with the prevailing weather conditions.

Any pilots on DDF that want to share insights, or anyone with similar experiences, please share.

On a side note, my weekend trip was booked quite late, so I ended up going to FL on Southwest with a connection in TPA (seemed like a large percentage of LGA-TPA passengers continued to FLL). It's been a while since I last flew Southwest, and while having free checked bags is nice, and I actually think open seating and their boarding system works very well, I found the DL hard and soft product to be by far superior (though both DW and I were surprised that none of the DL flight attendants ever heard of, or seen, a Yoyo stroller - they couldn't believe when I showed them how it folds up and fits in the overhead bin). On the short hop from TPA to FLL they just made an announcement that due to expected turbulence there will be no snack and beverage service on the flight. Needless to say there was no noticeable turbulence.
are there actually pilots on here??

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 06:25:10 PM »
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 06:45:21 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 07:17:17 PM »
At least one that I'm aware of.
cool so @ludmila are u currently a commercial pilot?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline yitzyul

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 10:31:21 PM »
I had this many years ago on TWA in France. The pilot landed to far on the runway and had to take off again. The pilot came on the air and said we will have to go around and nothing to worry, I will be back in a few for explanation. About 10 min later the pilot came on to explain. I guess they get busy and cant explain until they finish doing what they have to.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
Aborted Landing (with thouchdown) Experience
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 10:31:54 PM »
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/klga/KLGA-Twr-Jan-20-2019-2330Z.mp3 anyone care to decipher for layperson?
At 21:40 ATC can be heard saying that there were a few go arounds close to and on the runway.
@ludmila What prompts a go around after touching down, that wouldn't have prompted it before? Do you think it is better to inform passengers with a little more detail, or would you have remained silent and just said that we're going around, as the DL1770 captain did.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 10:35:51 PM »

I had this many years ago on TWA in France. The pilot landed to far on the runway and had to take off again. The pilot came on the air and said we will have to go around and nothing to worry, I will be back in a few for explanation. About 10 min later the pilot came on to explain. I guess they get busy and cant explain until they finish doing what they have to.
I think that's much better (for passenger mood) than what our captain did. I am confident that he was as professional as it gets when it comes to flying and landing the aircraft safely, but it wasn't fun to have passengers crying and panicking around.
-- Dan

Offline ludmila

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 10:47:49 PM »
cool so @ludmila are u currently a commercial pilot?
No, it has been a long time since ---
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 11:06:48 PM »
Might be better off taking your questions here.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 12:20:12 AM »
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/klga/KLGA-Twr-Jan-20-2019-2330Z.mp3 anyone care to decipher for layperson?
At 21:40 ATC can be heard saying that there were a few go arounds close to and on the runway.
@ludmila What prompts a go around after touching down, that wouldn't have prompted it before? Do you think it is better to inform passengers with a little more detail, or would you have remained silent and just said that we're going around, as the DL1770 captain did.
Of course it is better to inform the passengers, in this case only after the pilots followed the procedures for the go-around , their first priority is to fly the aircraft.
What I think happened here was due to a strong cross wind.  He made a turn to final, speed, altitude are good, so they proceed with the landing but then encountered  a low-level gusty  crosswind,and he was not able to get the nose of the airplane centered towards the runway centerline for a safe landing. At this point he has to go around while enough runway space is available for a safe takeoff.

I found this on youtube, very similar crosswind aborted landing

I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 07:38:07 PM »

Aviate, navigate, communicate, in that order, is what they teach from day 1 of pilot training. There is a heck of a lot going on with a go-around at a big busy airport. Especially if you have to go back into an instrument environment and shoot another approach, which requires a handoff back to approach control, receiving new approach clearance, briefing the appproach internally, and flying what was clearly already a dificult approach and landing. That can be a two pilot job in and of itself and screwing any of that up is a danger to everyone on the flight. Letting passengers know what's going on is a luxury you indulge in if and when you can safely do so. There's a high chance you wouldn't have that luxury in that particular situation, and good on the pilot to recognize that. I was a military pilot and didn't often have pax, but I did on more than one occasion ignore the folks at base ops asking for a status update when we were in a position that we needed to devote all our attention to the cockpit, and they never minded as long as I dropped by for a quick "sorry but we had our hands full when you called" afterward.

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 08:41:49 PM »
I was a military pilot and didn't often have pax, but I did on more than one occasion ignore the folks at base ops asking for a status update when we were in a position that we needed to devote all our attention to the cockpit,
as far as im concerned you dont have to open a new thread to share some of those stories with us. right here works just fine for me.
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.