Author Topic: American kicks Jewish family off flights because of 'body odor'  (Read 22173 times)

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: American kicks Jewish family off flights because of 'body odor'
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2019, 12:37:37 PM »
1) AA promised them their luggage, then lied and sent it to detroit.

Aren't they legally required to remove the luggage from the plane?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2019, 12:41:26 PM »
What does the reporter who interviewed them in the airport say? Dis s/he feel that they smelled? What about the camera crew?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2019, 12:42:45 PM »
Hey mods, should this thread be merged with the other "body odor" thread into a "Master thread of Body Odor social norms"?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2019, 12:57:20 PM »
I'd just like to point out that nobody here has any right or reason to just claim that religious discrimination took place in this case. I get that the couple is claiming that but according to their own story, they don't really know if that's the case or not since they didn't even ask why they were being removed until they were already off the plane. Calling anti-semitism when you have absolutely no way of proving it does a disservice to all of us and does only harm, not good. Imagine if the same story took place with a black family and they claimed discrimination, half the people here would be saying that they are overreacting and calling racism just to justify themselves when they can't prove it. Don't be a hypocrite just because you happen to be Jewish also. While anti-semitism has been on the rise around the world in general, we should not be so quick to use it as an excuse for self-justification, especially when it is not verifiable and no violence took place.

Just my $.02.

The reason why you have to "imagine" this happening to a black family, is because it will never happen, no matter how smelly the blacks might be.
Furthermore, there's definitely smelly people from all walks of life, and obviously certain ethnicities and races more than others. However, this family is a nice clean cut family, you'd never expect anyone from any ethnicity that looks clean cut, to ever be thrown off a plane. And yes it would be upsetting if that happened, no matter the ethnicity.

In other words, it only happened to a clean cut family because people on the plane are anti-semitic, and the airline was more than happy to satisfy racists instead of ignoring them or solving it in a way that was not degrading or bothersome for the family. Despite Jewish people being a small % of the US, more than 50% of hate crime is against Jews, this is just another example of the widespread anti-semitic mentality that you think doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 01:00:40 PM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2019, 01:31:48 PM »
Despite Jewish people being a small % of the US, more than 50% of hate crime is against Jews, this is just another example of the widespread anti-semitic mentality that you think doesn't exist.

Where does that statistic come from?
-- Dan

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2019, 01:35:04 PM »
The reason why you have to "imagine" this happening to a black family, is because it will never happen, no matter how smelly the blacks might be.
Furthermore, there's definitely smelly people from all walks of life, and obviously certain ethnicities and races more than others. However, this family is a nice clean cut family, you'd never expect anyone from any ethnicity that looks clean cut, to ever be thrown off a plane. And yes it would be upsetting if that happened, no matter the ethnicity.

In other words, it only happened to a clean cut family because people on the plane are anti-semitic, and the airline was more than happy to satisfy racists instead of ignoring them or solving it in a way that was not degrading or bothersome for the family. Despite Jewish people being a small % of the US, more than 50% of hate crime is against Jews, this is just another example of the widespread anti-semitic mentality that you think doesn't exist.
Does anybody really believe anti-semitism doesn’t exist? Just read the comments thread on any major online publication when there’s a story that involves a Jew.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2019, 01:47:21 PM »
Where does that statistic come from?
FBI releases bias crime stats. Giyf. Though I believe the stat is being misrepresented, it's over 50% of *religious* based bias crimes.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2019, 01:58:07 PM »
FBI releases bias crime stats. Giyf. Though I believe the stat is being misrepresented, it's over 50% of *religious* based bias crimes.
That makes a lot more sense.
-- Dan

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2019, 02:46:53 PM »

In the news not so long ago..

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-united-airlines-lawsuit-pungent-odor-20180512-story.html
Nigerian woman kicked off United flight after white man complained she was 'pungent': lawsuit

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2019, 01:36:10 AM »
In the news not so long ago..

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-united-airlines-lawsuit-pungent-odor-20180512-story.html
Wow. Do you see the difference in the way the story is presented?

Here is their headline when it comes to a Jewish family..

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/midwest/ct-jewish-family-body-odor-american-airlines-20190125-story.html

Headlines:
“Michigan family booted over ‘body odor’, but they say anti-semitism to blame”
“Nigerian woman kicked off after white man complained she was ‘pungent’: lawsuit”
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:43:56 AM by S209 »

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2019, 04:38:29 AM »
Wow. Do you see the difference in the way the story is presented?

Here is their headline when it comes to a Jewish family..

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/midwest/ct-jewish-family-body-odor-american-airlines-20190125-story.html

Headlines:
“Michigan family booted over ‘body odor’, but they say anti-semitism to blame”
“Nigerian woman kicked off after white man complained she was ‘pungent’: lawsuit”
I don't get the difference
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2019, 08:26:59 AM »
I don't get the difference
You're serious?

Offline moish

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2019, 09:28:40 AM »
The thing I find the most interesting about this is the fact that they decided to publicize it. If it were me, Id be hiding in shame (Irrelevant whether I felt I smelled or not). And even if I would want to publicize it, my wife would never have let me

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2019, 09:40:46 AM »
The thing I find the most interesting about this is the fact that they decided to publicize it. If it were me, Id be hiding in shame (Irrelevant whether I felt I smelled or not). And even if I would want to publicize it, my wife would never have let me
+1. These people will forever smell in my head. Regardless the perfume they used that day ;D
#TYH

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2019, 11:51:47 AM »
Exactly
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2019, 12:02:55 PM »

If I see correctly there was a reporter when they got off the plane.
Why was the reporter there? Seems strange

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2019, 12:34:20 PM »
+1. These people will forever smell in my head. Regardless the perfume they used that day ;D
This is a good lesson on lashon hora. True or false, impressions will always remain.

Also, they probably didn’t think this through all the way on the spot, but I agree, I probably wouldn’t fight it publicly like this. Although like @ExGingi noted there is probably more to the story that we’re not hearing.

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2019, 12:41:18 PM »
well all this proves that they sure did NOT smell. if they would think of any mildest smell, they would flee the airport.
but one thing, I don't see why the blame is on AA, if someone complains abt a passenger they get the passenger off, now that complainer is the 1 who was anti-semite if anybody, and they should be held responsible. but they wouldn't speak for obvious reasons.
they should've asked who complained, and put up a show, like who else says I smell?
AA saying that "alot of ppl" were complaining, is something I would do as well, to wash clean of the case.