Author Topic: How to handle a dispute I filed on a 25k charge?  (Read 19995 times)

Offline jdross

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
How to handle a dispute I filed on a 25k charge?
« on: January 29, 2019, 09:35:54 PM »
Hello All,

Short story version is we ordered a custom kitchen for 25k and charged it on our Amex card. Thing gets delivered and its damaged as heck and terrible quality. Like serious defects in the workmanship. I called the merchant to try and get some help with this. First they asked for pictures, then they don’t call me or return any calls or anything since the 14th of this month. I got fed up about 2 weeks ago and called Amex and put in a dispute for the full amount. The truth is after seeing the terrible quality we don’t want this, we just want our money back and will get another kitchen.

To be perfectly honest, if someone ordered 25k worth of stuff from me and they called me with an issue I would show up at their doorstep the same day if I could. So I’ve also come to find out they have shit customer service which I also want no part of.

Finally, only today (16 days later) do I get a call from someone in customer service there asking to schedule an on site visit to inspect the cabinets. Also, it must be done TOMORROW as the guy coming has limited availability. My question is, do I let them come in and take a look around? I feel as though they will try and find ways to discredit my claim if I do. I’m sure they will also offer to repair whatever issues there are, which I’m not interested in at this point as they are so numerous and the quality so much lower than what we expected. Will this hurt me in my dispute in any way or am I required to let them come in?

Pictures are here: https://imgur.com/a/Raj7j84

Thanks Guys

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: How to handle a dispute I filed on a 25k charge?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:38:23 AM »
Hello All,

Short story version is we ordered a custom kitchen for 25k and charged it on our Amex card. Thing gets delivered and its damaged as heck and terrible quality. Like serious defects in the workmanship. I called the merchant to try and get some help with this. First they asked for pictures, then they don’t call me or return any calls or anything since the 14th of this month. I got fed up about 2 weeks ago and called Amex and put in a dispute for the full amount. The truth is after seeing the terrible quality we don’t want this, we just want our money back and will get another kitchen.

To be perfectly honest, if someone ordered 25k worth of stuff from me and they called me with an issue I would show up at their doorstep the same day if I could. So I’ve also come to find out they have shit customer service which I also want no part of.

Finally, only today (16 days later) do I get a call from someone in customer service there asking to schedule an on site visit to inspect the cabinets. Also, it must be done TOMORROW as the guy coming has limited availability. My question is, do I let them come in and take a look around? I feel as though they will try and find ways to discredit my claim if I do. I’m sure they will also offer to repair whatever issues there are, which I’m not interested in at this point as they are so numerous and the quality so much lower than what we expected. Will this hurt me in my dispute in any way or am I required to let them come in?

Pictures are here: https://imgur.com/a/Raj7j84

Thanks Guys
first thing I notice.....
25k for MDF  :o

Offline jdross

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 07:35:39 AM »
That was part of the bait and switch...

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 08:28:55 AM »
holy cow tell them to take their garbage back
this is not worth 5k def not 25k

Online Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 09:26:36 AM »
Was the seller a local company or an online, fly-by, anonymous  website?

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 09:29:00 AM »
That looks bad

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »
WOW! good luck and thank G-d you used an amex.

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 10:31:51 AM »
I would let them in. On this kind of value, the dispute will be taken seriously. If the merchant can prove that you were not willing to let him come and get it resolved, you may lose.

Offline Naftuli19

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 10:38:51 AM »
I would let them in. On this kind of value, the dispute will be taken seriously. If the merchant can prove that you were not willing to let him come and get it resolved, you may lose.
+1 what are you to loose if you let them in? they might take it back ( which doesn't seem like it) even if you have to go the dispute route u have the pics to show Amex, and i have seen much much larger disputes with less reason going thru...Good Luck!
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 10:53:43 AM »
agreed
That looks bad

Offline jdross

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 11:18:51 AM »
Thanks guys. So actually I spoke to Amex and they told me not to coordinate with them and they would need to go through Amex now. So that’s what I’m gonna tell them.

In other news, the rep from the place contacted my today via email and is now trying to make it seem like I was the one who didn’t contact them back in over 2 weeks. I’m gonna have to give them a sharp reply to that but how do I prove that to Amex? In the chain of emails I last have I send back info to them and then they say we will follow up with next steps but never did.

And for those asking, no this is not a fly by night. It’s a well established and well regarded place in central NJ. Not Lakewood either, it’s far north of there, for those asking. I don’t wanna reveal the name just yet because I don’t want anything to be used against me but once this is finally resolved then I will.

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile

Offline LoLo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 12:54:26 PM »
Thanks guys. So actually I spoke to Amex and they told me not to coordinate with them and they would need to go through Amex now. So that’s what I’m gonna tell them.

In other news, the rep from the place contacted my today via email and is now trying to make it seem like I was the one who didn’t contact them back in over 2 weeks. I’m gonna have to give them a sharp reply to that but how do I prove that to Amex? In the chain of emails I last have I send back info to them and then they say we will follow up with next steps but never did.

And for those asking, no this is not a fly by night. It’s a well established and well regarded place in central NJ. Not Lakewood either, it’s far north of there, for those asking. I don’t wanna reveal the name just yet because I don’t want anything to be used against me but once this is finally resolved then I will.
Why bother replying? you have the email proof that they didn't follow up.

Offline jdross

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 02:08:29 PM »
Because @Naftuli19 is saying I can still get sued if I don’t follow up and try and resolve.

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 02:13:08 PM »
Because @Naftuli19 is saying I can still get sued if I don’t follow up and try and resolve.
I didn't say that...

Offline jdross

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 03:20:05 PM »
Why bother replying? you have the email proof that they didn't follow up.

@Naftuli19 What was the point of posting that story then? I assumed you were warning that even if you win, you can still lose?

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 03:36:40 PM »
@Naftuli19 What was the point of posting that story then? I assumed you were warning that even if you win, you can still lose?
not quite, my main point was that hes saying that the dispute with discover went thru fine and that he is "technically" right, now regarding the suing you have the evidence that the merchant didn't handle it fairly there for there should be no reason for them to sue you. he doesn't  write y they are going after him it could be that he never tried to work things out with the merchant which in your case you did try.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 03:39:56 PM by Naftuli19 »

Offline jdross

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 03:57:23 PM »
Yes. I contacted them and they didn't reply back so I contacted Amex. Had they responded it would have been different. But they ARE trying to contact me directly now to figure things out, but Amex told me that it needs to go through them.

Offline mendy from lakewood

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, National EE, Hertz Presidential.
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 04:58:16 PM »
Honestly this looks like someone sold you a stock kitchen and tried to convince you it’s worth 25k- I do real estate management and this looks like the kitchens that I put into my rentals that cost me 2-3k- good thing you noticed it!
"Respect is earned, Honesty is appreciated, Trust is gained, Loyalty is returned"