Author Topic: Powerful story of brave chabad rav, victim of sexual abuse  (Read 7615 times)

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Powerful story of brave chabad rav, victim of sexual abuse
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 07:02:00 PM »
Are you a parent?

What is your logic?
Hopefully he means halevai it should be unnecessary.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 07:02:57 PM »
Hopefully he means halevai it should be unnecessary.
That is a beautiful and refreshing optimistic view of people, unfortunately I don't share your optimism for better or worse.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 07:30:21 PM »
I feel so sorry for him and his family, and I hope more parents become aware of this issue.

Not sure why the "me too" has to be brought in to the conversation though. His story has enough merit without it.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 07:45:09 PM »
I feel so sorry for him and his family, and I hope more parents become aware of this issue.

Not sure why the "me too" has to be brought in to the conversation though. His story has enough merit without it.
That is his story.

One of the most powerful parts of the article is how real it all is. He's just saying what happaned to him.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 08:59:01 PM »
Bravery aside, presenting himself as an orthodox rabbi, it would have been a little bit more apropos if the article didn't subtly (between the lines) mock some religious prohibitions ancient and primitive and further certain stereotypes.

I'd have no qualms if was a random person, even super frum. But once he presents himself as a Rabbi, and a Hassidic one at that, more importantly as someone purporting to spread the faith, he has a certain responsibility that others don't.

Now, before I get attacked, this is a very sad story and I'm not "judging" him, definitely not trying to diminish his pain and struggle. I just felt the story could've been written slightly differently without slighting his religion.

May G-d never place us or our loved ones in any such situations.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 09:02:30 PM »
Bravery aside, presenting himself as an orthodox rabbi, it would have been a little bit more apropos if the article didn't subtly (between the lines) mock some religious prohibitions ancient and primitive and further certain stereotypes.

I'd have no qualms if was a random person, even super frum. But once he presents himself as a Rabbi, and a Hassidic one at that, more importantly as someone purporting to spread the faith, he has a certain responsibility that others don't.

Now, before I get attacked, this is a very sad story and I'm not "judging" him, definitely not trying to diminish his pain and struggle. I just felt the story could've been written slightly differently without slighting his religion.

A. I don't know where you see that in the article. I actually found it to be a very nice non-judgemental article. A real change from today's toxic uninformed, prejudiced, and shallow writers. B. The article was not written by him, but a non Jewish journalist. What do you expect?

Offline MrKaplan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 11:25:19 PM »
A. I don't know where you see that in the article. I actually found it to be a very nice non-judgemental article. A real change from today's toxic uninformed, prejudiced, and shallow writers. B. The article was not written by him, but a non Jewish journalist. What do you expect?
+1

Offline aarony

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Galitzyaner

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 12:38:30 AM »
Pile them on!

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 07:26:01 AM »
Fwiw, she says she is Jewish.

Online tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 08:26:21 AM »

Agree 100%. There is a subtle insinuation that had he been allowed to watch more inappropriate things as a child he would have realized his situation sooner. While that may or may not be true in reality, it would kind of highlight the point of how detrimental the Orthodox Jews perceived closed mindedness is, to a non Orthodox Jew. That isn’t the Orthodox (and definitely not chasidic) outlook, and I feel he should have been more careful portraying his feelings in that regard.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2019, 04:09:54 PM »
Agree 100%. There is a subtle insinuation that had he been allowed to watch more inappropriate things as a child he would have realized his situation sooner. While that may or may not be true in reality, it would kind of highlight the point of how detrimental the Orthodox Jews perceived closed mindedness is, to a non Orthodox Jew. That isn’t the Orthodox (and definitely not chasidic) outlook, and I feel he should have been more careful portraying his feelings in that regard.

I'm not sure how he could have been more careful and the article literally said:
“It’s given me kind of a wake-up call to provide the safest and most loving environment for my children possible, and to know that they will never be judged. That if anything happens to them, they will always have somewhere to turn,” he said.

Both he and his wife are committed to raising their children in an Orthodox household, and believe that keeping children steeped in Jewish tradition and sheltered from the hypersexuality of the outside world is a healthy and loving way to raise children.

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2019, 07:57:06 PM »
I'm not sure how he could have been more careful and the article literally said:
“It’s given me kind of a wake-up call to provide the safest and most loving environment for my children possible, and to know that they will never be judged. That if anything happens to them, they will always have somewhere to turn,” he said.

Both he and his wife are committed to raising their children in an Orthodox household, and believe that keeping children steeped in Jewish tradition and sheltered from the hypersexuality of the outside world is a healthy and loving way to raise children.
What a coincidence you bumped this thread today. I just met the guy today.