Author Topic: Is it safe flying with Turkish Air  (Read 15111 times)

Offline BigIssy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Is it safe flying with Turkish Air
« on: February 07, 2019, 01:35:18 PM »
Looking at flying from ORD to TLV using Turkish Air is its about $1k cheaper then everyone else.  How safe is Istanbuls airport?  Going to be going with family, kids range between 7-14 looking at stop overs ranging between 2-8 hrs.  I have priority pass through my amex platinum business and personal cards. 

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Offline stmark

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is it safe flying with Turkish Air
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 01:42:56 PM »
Looking at flying from ORD to TLV using Turkish Air is its about $1k cheaper then everyone else.  How safe is Istanbuls airport?  Going to be going with family, kids range between 7-14 looking at stop overs ranging between 2-8 hrs.  I have priority pass through my amex platinum business and personal cards. 

What do you guys think?

Thanks

NO!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 01:47:35 PM »
100% safe. TK is one of the largest airlines in TLV with 10 daily flights!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 01:51:13 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 02:08:16 PM »

What do you guys think?

Thanks

100% safe. TK is one of the largest airlines in TLV with 10 daily flights!

+1 (and I think it's 11 flights)

And the PP lounge is nice, plenty of drinks but no kosher food besides if they have fresh whole fruit.

I'm not who you think I am.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 02:20:24 PM »
Definitely unsafe. Turkey is filled with terrorists and Jew haters. Avoid if you value your family.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline LNS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 02:32:39 PM »
I have passed thru Istanbul quite a few times on the way to and from Israel at times even sleeping in the airport hotel
I definitely didn't feel as comfortable as i could have being somewhere else and although i didn't experience any open hostility there was definitely times when very negative "vibes" were sent my way.
I have gone myself and with other adults but i would think twice to bring my kids thru there.

Offline shimino1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 02:55:33 PM »
I have passed thru Istanbul quite a few times on the way to and from Israel at times even sleeping in the airport hotel
I definitely didn't feel as comfortable as i could have being somewhere else and although i didn't experience any open hostility there was definitely times when very negative "vibes" were sent my way.
I have gone myself and with other adults but i would think twice to bring my kids thru there.
They usually have riots and coup attempts that spill out onto the tarmac but if you stay off the tarmac you will survive most of the time.

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 03:06:28 PM »

What do you guys think?

Thanks
I've flown myself plenty of times and with extended fam a few times as well, we all felt very safe no one gave us any looks or anything it was a pleasure...
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 03:11:10 PM »
Definitely unsafe. Turkey is filled with terrorists and Jew haters. Avoid if you value your family.
Interestingly I just struck a conversation with my taxi driver coming back home from JFK. He's from Turkey, and we became friends over the brief ride. He spends a few months in the US working as a taxi driver, and then goes back to Turkey where he has a house in Malatya (he claims the best Apricots come from there) and an apartment in Istanbul. He invited me to stay with him when I come to Turkey (possibly the only place on my bucket list).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 03:13:50 PM »
Hide your kids, hide your wife.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:36:37 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 03:20:47 PM »
Interestingly I just struck a conversation with my taxi driver coming back home from JFK. He's from Turkey, and we became friends over the brief ride. He spends a few months in the US working as a taxi driver, and then goes back to Turkey where he has a house in Malatya (he claims the best Apricots come from there) and an apartment in Istanbul. He invited me to stay with him when I come to Turkey (possibly the only place on my bucket list).
[/quote

"IF" your daughter told you - I met this man and we became friends after an hour riding in a taxi, he invited me to stay with him  in his home Turkey, and you know I really want to visit Turkey -LOL

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 04:01:37 PM »
I flew Turkish 4 times. I've never gotten negative vibes and even had steward/esses talk to me because they where genuinely interested in talking to a jew.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Naftuli19

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 04:05:21 PM »
we had 2 screaming Jewish babies and they handled it alot better than other airlines.
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 04:05:29 PM »

I actually asked him what he thought about Erdoğan, I thought it might be interesting to hear from someone who's center of life isn't in urban Istanbul (apparently Erdoğan's base isn't with the secular base that lives in Istanbul, but rather from the countryside). He said he thinks Erdoğan is bad. When I inquired about good things he has done for Turkey, he said that for the first eight years he was good, but then he started to concentrate too much power in his and his family's hands.

As for antisemitism in Turkey, he said (which is what my impression is) that the people of Turkey are friendly with no widespread antisemitism. A lot of the noise one hears is just politics and political rhetoric.
-- Dan

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 04:57:38 PM »
Looking at flying from ORD to TLV using Turkish Air is its about $1k cheaper then everyone else. How safe is Istanbuls airport? Going to be going with family, kids range between 7-14 looking at stop overs ranging between 2-8 hrs.  I have priority pass through my amex platinum business and personal cards. 

What do you guys think?

Thanks

You mean this airport?
https://tinyurl.com/y8g3tn2g
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Online moko

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 05:31:29 PM »
You mean this airport?
https://tinyurl.com/y8g3tn2g
could be he meant this one. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Los_Angeles_International_Airport_shooting

What's your point? Arguing that the country recently underwent a attempted coup , is a better argument than pointing to an attack which similar ones have occured at Western airports as well

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 05:44:39 PM »
could be he meant this one. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Los_Angeles_International_Airport_shooting

What's your point? Arguing that the country recently underwent a attempted coup , is a better argument than pointing to an attack which similar ones have occured at Western airports as well

IINM in none of the cases was anyone on the airside in danger. I am guessing that @coralsnake was being sarcastic, just like others on this thread.
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 05:46:05 PM »

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 07:53:22 PM »
It's as safe as LHR, but you gotta know yourself (and your family) if you/they are going to be paranoid and shiver to death on every turban don't do it, it's not a matter of facts it's your feelings
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Online herb

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 09:05:21 PM »

What do you guys think?

Thanks
I've flown to Israel many times and Turkish was one of if not the most pleasant flying experience! as far as the airport is concerned the lounge was nice and fell safe there (wore t-shirt and baseball cap just to make sure).