Author Topic: Tallest peak in the alps- Shortest TR  (Read 7309 times)

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
Tallest peak in the alps- Shortest TR
« on: February 19, 2019, 03:11:26 PM »
Ideally I would start a TR during the trip, or at least write some notes for one, but now I had no intentions of writing a TR rather I just sat down and prepared it in one go so excuse the laziness and whatever it’s missing.

Here is my incredibility short TR of my short trip to the French alps in Chamonix Mont Blanc, the tallest peak in the Alps.

Flights
Since we were all flying at the same time I chose to fly together with my companions, which meant I was flying economy, didn’t mind it as I wanted to fly some Y this year to keep my sanity and will do it again. Flying in to GVA out of TLV gives you multiple direct weekly flights, between Elal and Easyjet, booking 6 days out these flights weren’t on the radar as they were ridiculously expensive, or sold out. So we booked Pegasus with a short stop in SAW for under $100. For the return we were flying to different destinations, and at different times, so I was booking a solo flight. For 25k SQ+ roughly $200  I booked LX J via ZRH.

Accomodations
There doesn't seem to be any points options as far as hotels in Chamonix, so we booked the “Hotel Mont-Blanc” which was 1 of the 2 5* hotels there, with the other being sold out. The hotel looked quite nice, and was at the foot of the beautiful Mont-Blanc.

Sunday 01/13
We arrived at around 5AM to TLV for our 7:20 flight, after a long security process we made it to the Dan lounge  with just enough time to have a coffee and a small bite. We got on the bus and boarded in no time. With the plane being the hottest plane I've ever been on, then the combination of a really small seat on the 738 and my long legs, this was going to be a fun ride. In no time we were in the air and was fast asleep for about 20 minutes before the discomfort got to me and despite not sleeping the night before I didn’t sleep anymore. For our 1 hour stop in SAW we went to the ISG International CIP Lounge before going to the next flight to GVA.on the second flight I was lucky to have an exit row, which had amazing legroom. Upon arriving in GVA we took an Uber to Chabad where we discussed the kosher food situation before Davening Mincha-Maariv there.
For dinner we went to the Sushi spot, Ketori which IMO was extremely expensive aside from the stingy portions, and was really not that good at all. Although we wanted to go to the Kosher grocery store that night it was closed so we instead took a 1 hour taxi ride to our hotel for the night.
The Hotel was quite nice

And the view was amazing

We looked around the hotel and checked out the town before retiring for the night.

Monday 01/14
Since we didn’t get to get our food for the trip yet we had to go back to Geneva to shop, and then just spent the rest of the day touring the town as well as enjoying the outdoor pool and hot tub at the hotel overlooking the alps. It wasn’t much of a day, but was certainly a relaxing one.

Tuesday 01/15
We woke up early Tuesday and skied all morning. After going back to the hotel to relax and calm down for a few minutes we went on to go paragliding which was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The views from on top are one of a kind, and gliding over a town blanketed in snow is a once in lifetime experience.

And then of course, back to the hot tub with some beers.

Wednesday 01/16
More skiing of course, before going for some amazing night snowmobiling nearly an hour away.

The guides “house’”

Thursday 01/17
Time to head back to the, we arrived in the Airport 3 hours or so before my flight (mine was the latest of us 4)
Those 3 hours were spent across 4 lounges starting with all of us in the KLM lounge

With these 2 in between

-image missing-
And ending with myself in the LX J lounge

Before boarding a half empty A320 where I had the whole row 1 to myself, and was even served a Kosher “snack” on the half hour flight to ZRH.

In ZRH I had just 55 minutes in the Business Lounge which I really enjoyed aside from the fact that it was absolutely overcrowded. As a #AVgeek the balcony for plane spotting felt like home.

At the gate I managed to get a single seat, 5k

The view after takeoff was outstanding

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 03:15:55 PM by davidrotts63 »
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline farmbochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
Re: Tallest peak in the alps- Shortest TR
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 03:50:44 PM »
Nice TR - I got to see Mont Blanc from the top of Mont Fort just 7 days ago!
Risk is opportunity

Offline ludmila

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 03:41:37 AM »
Thanks, loved the pictures.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline dovid1375

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 08:51:38 AM »
That meal looks pretty impressive

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 08:56:30 AM »

Nice TR - I got to see Mont Blanc from the top of Mont Fort just 7 days ago!
Thanks, loved the pictures.
Thanks!
That meal looks pretty impressive
Wasn't quite that good, although that dessert, whatever it was, was quite good, and the Kosher wine (which I didn't drink) is a nice add on. The salmon was ok as well, but the main otoh...

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 12:35:19 PM »
Nice trip report, thanks for writing it up! Looks beautiful. And thanks for showing me pictures of why I will never go to paragliding.  ;D

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 12:40:34 PM »
Nice trip report, thanks for writing it up! Looks beautiful. And thanks for showing me pictures of why I will never go to paragliding.  ;D
Thanks.
You will never be a complete man. ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:09:37 PM by davidrotts63 »

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 02:37:34 AM »
Nice trip report.
I'm glad you mentioned the detox of flying just upper classes, which has an interesting way to mess up ones brain.
You were unlucky on the first stretch with Pegasus, but its usually an excellent low-cost.
The discrepancy in the spend is the one hour taxi ride, which I don't want to know what it costed.
Hopefully the next day you did it by bus or train.
I was hoping that you climbed the Mont Blanc, which wasn't the case, but at least you didn't promote staying in the Hyatt.
Thanks for this report, I like it.

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 03:01:41 AM »
Nice trip report.
I'm glad you mentioned the detox of flying just upper classes, which has an interesting way to mess up ones brain.
You were unlucky on the first stretch with Pegasus, but its usually an excellent low-cost.
The discrepancy in the spend is the one hour taxi ride, which I don't want to know what it costed.
Hopefully the next day you did it by bus or train.
I was hoping that you climbed the Mont Blanc, which wasn't the case, but at least you didn't promote staying in the Hyatt.
Thanks for this report, I like it.
Thanks!
I've been told that about Pegasus, and on the second leg Especially with the exit row I was back to enjoying being up in the air. Can't wait for the others!

I forgot to meantion that the Taxis were a complete mistake! We used the same driver from the second drive on who was a lot less than out previous Uber. We absolutely should have Rented a car, or at least figured out public transportation.

For a one time pass up Mont Blanc they wanted 80 euro per person or so, instead we went up the neighboring mountains and had a scenic view of the mountain. I would have loved to go up the check it off, but both locals and tourists warned up that it's a waste of time and money.