Author Topic: Trip to kivrei avos  (Read 1168 times)

Offline mlight

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Trip to kivrei avos
« on: February 22, 2019, 01:46:49 AM »
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but not sure where to put it so...
Hey all and thanks in advance for any help.
My father is an only child to his now deceased parents. My grandparents were both originally from Hungary and survived the holocaust.
 I'd like to take my father on a brief trip to his parents hometowns to both daven at kevarim and also see firsthand what he's heard and passed on to us all his life re his roots.
I'm not sure where to start with researching everything from locating family kevarim to neighborhoods or even addresses... is there someone or someway to help me along that process? I'd be willing to pay for that.
Also flying out of ny area what would be the smartest/most common way to fly to Hungary... it seems like not to many direct flights back and forth.
Thanks again for any assistance!

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Trip to kivrei avos
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 07:35:01 AM »
Which towns? LOT flies non stop from JFK to Budapest.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 08:53:01 AM »
Let me start by saying that I've never been, but a couple of thoughts Ideas to help you get started:

- Find out the current country the villages/towns are located in. This can make a huge difference. Parts of what might have been referred to as 'Hungary' can easily now be part of Czech, or Ukraine as well. Regardless of where you fly into, the borders might be tricky to negotiate. Also bear in mind that the name your father knows the city by, might not be a common name -i.e. Munkac is better known as Munkachevo.

- If there are no relatives or family who can give you more insight, you may want to try to reach out to some of the organizations that fund programs there to help you find people that can help. The Joint (aka The American Joint Distribution Committee, JDC) funds a lot of programming in that area, as do some of the local Jewish Federations, you may want to call them up, and ask if they can help you find someone who can help you (I doubt that they have the info or resources to help you directly).

- Kevarim might be hard to find, because of vandalism and anti-semitism. As an Example, my wife's family immigrated to the US in the 70's. Her father knew where the cemetery was, but his father would never allow him to walk in to the cemetery because of Ayin Hara - so he had no idea where his family's graves were. When he went back in the 90's, most of the headstones had been damaged, and the graves were hard to find. Again, the Joint funds programs to repair and maintain some of these cemeteries, so they might have a person who can help you.

I hope this helps.

Online chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 10:18:24 AM »
Not sure I understand correctly what OP wants but these info might be useful for others

https://nesiyatova.com/
http://www.zadikim.net/?cat=16
http://www.ivelt.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=63

Wiki on any city can tell you the current name, old names, and even how it was called in yiddish

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 10:19:10 AM »
There's also a whatsapp group where people will help you https://chat.whatsapp.com/43qx2A3lFZyKGK2HLPa6QW
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ