Author Topic: Sam 28 Greece TR May 2018  (Read 11198 times)

Offline sam28

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Sam 28 Greece TR May 2018
« on: February 24, 2019, 05:39:41 PM »
Greece TR May 1 2018

We decide to go to Israel for Lag baomer from NYC.

On our way back we will stop in Santorini Greece for a few days.

Trip planning

2 weeks before our trip I was looking for some advice on Dan Deals but there was not much information on the Greece thread. So it was little hard doing my own homework.

First I had to decide in which area to stay and decided on Oia. Then to decide which hotel to choose in Oia, so many hotels came up and most of them had good reviews.

Finally I booked La Perla Villas. It had very good reviews, from the pictures I saw the hotel has beautiful views. Part of the amenities were that they have a big refrigerator so I can keep my kosher food in it.

I booked tickets from TLV to ATH to JTR.

There are not many flights from Tlv to JTR. You have  morning flights or you have to stay overnight in ATH.

Our flight was with Aegean Air it leaves 5:10 am with a stop in Ath and arrives 11:10 am total of 2 tickets were $280.00.

I booked a car on Priceline with Avis. Total cost for 3 days was $140.00

I ordered food from Chabad of Athens. It wasn’t cheap but was worth it. They shipped it with a ferry and our hotel concierge picked it up at the dock and delivered to our room. When we arrived to the hotel all the food was there. Every single dish breakfast and dinner was delicious.

My coming home flight I used  200k Alaska points, flew with Emirates business class that  leaves 5:20 pm from Ath.

Since we were in Israel we emailed the hotel we were meant to stay if they can send someone pick up our food from the port. They emailed back what kind of food r u bringing, you can’t bring any food to our hotel as you will not have where to keep it.
We emailed back and forth about the issue, I sent them pictures where it says on their website large refrigerator in the room. But to no avail. They will not allow us to bring in food and they made us cancel our reservation. To make a long story short we had nowhere to stay and had to start looking for a place all over again.

It was not easy as most places were booked or way too expensive. I finally found a nice place called Hyperion Oia Suites, we had the best time there, the view was amazing and the hotel was beautiful.

04/30/18

We woke up at 2:00 am after sleeping just 2 hours to go the airport to catch our 5:10 am flight to Athens. When we arrived to TLV airport the lines to security before check in were very long. After waiting about 30 minutes in line I realized that my hand luggage is not mine. I guess when we came out of the rental shuttle our suitcases got mixed up and someone took mine. I had my tefillin in there and my laptop and lots of food for our trip. Help! What do we do now? So I went to security and told them what happened. They told me to open that suitcase and see if I find the name of the passenger. Luckily there was some medication in the suitcase (and some dirty laundry). The security operator paged this persons name on the loudspeakers to come to security.

This older couple shows up and says they already checked in their luggage and since it’s a short flight for them they checked in the hand luggage too. His flight was 6:20 am. The fun begins. Security did not let him check his hand luggage or remove our suitcase from the checked bags for security purposes. The only thing we can do is make both of us miss our flights. Once the flight leaves they will return that persons luggage and our hand luggage.

We begged and begged. Then finally they said ok they will let the guy check his hand luggage they will remove our luggage but we can only get it back once that flight leaves. That means we are missing our flight.

So we miss our flight and wait patiently for security to bring us our hand luggage. I did not want to book another flight before I have my luggage. It was too risky. At 7am I got my hand luggage. We were so tired and couldn’t think straight what to do next.

Lesson learnt always double check your luggage at all times!

04/30/18 7:00 AM

We have our luggage and what do we do. There were no normal tickets out of Israel to Athens. We were ready to cancel our trip but no refund for food hotel and car and plane to come home it wasn’t worth it.   We saw a ticket but it was too close to check in we couldn’t book it online so we went to the ticket desk. We booked a flight with Pegasus air from Israel to Turkey from Turkey to Athens and from Athens to Santorini. Instead of Arriving 10 am we arrived 11pm.

We flew with Pegasus Airlines paid for the total of the new tickets $380.00

The plane left at 10:35 Am TLV to SAW.  Our stop over there was 4 hours. From there we flew to Athens with a stop of 1 hour. Once we arrived to Ath we ran to the gate to Santorini. It was the last flight of the day so we had to make it. Flight was 7:50pm with Olympic air. 

Overall it was a long day. The flights were ok. The service was great.  Hashem wanted us to be there a day later so we take it with open hands.

Our flight that day

Arriving in ATH nice views

Arriving in JTR small airport u can see the airport from the sky

The plane ride from Ath to Jtr only took 30 minutes. It’s a small airport. We got our luggage and we were out 15 minutes later. When you come out there is a counter for car rental. There was no line I had the keys in 10 minutes. 

When I picked up the car he asked if I have an international license, I said no he said its ok I can rent you a car but if you get stopped by a police you will get a 1000 euro fine. The entire time in  Greece I didn’t see any police.

It was 9:15pm by the time we left the airport. The way to our hotel in Oia took 30 minutes. It’s a beautiful scenic route but at night its pitch dark. The roads are very curvy so you have to drive very slow.

Once I got closer to the hotel, they told me where I have to park and the concierge was waiting for me there to take my luggage. From parking to the hotel is a 5 minute walk.

The guy was extremely nice and helpful. He showed us everything. He kept on asking if we need anything. He gave us his personal cell number so we can call him with any information we want.
We got to our suite, the look of it was amazing. Like in a cave. A huge box with all our food was there waiting for us. The private Jacuzzi overlooking the water was very tempting. Se we quickly warmed up some food and relaxed in the Jacuzzi and called it a night.

We were very happy and relaxed that we finally made it to Greece.

Our Food in the box waiting for us 

Offline Naftuli19

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I wish all...
Re: Sam 28 Greece TR May 2018
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 07:15:02 PM »
Very nice TR santorini is definitely a magical place would do it again in a heartbeat
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 01:26:29 AM »
Very nice TR santorini is definitely a magical place would do it again in a heartbeat
+1 Nice TR and Santorini is beautiful.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 04:17:30 PM »
05/01/18 first full day in Oia

Our first view out of our window wow

We woke up at 8am. The good thing was that since we came from Israel we were on the same time zone. I open up the window shades and wow the view was out of this world. Dark blue water with a beautiful blue sky. It was so relaxing so breathtaking. We sat onto the porch with coffee and just soaked in the view.

We sat in the pool before breakfast. Then we ate breakfast that Chabad sent us. Some hard boiled eggs, salad, delicious fresh rolls and muffin. Chabad also sent containers corn flakes and a bottle of milk for everyday lunch which we very much enjoyed. The hotel also prepared breakfast, delicious cut cup fruits and freshly squeezed orange juice. They set it up for us beautifully. The night before we had to tell them what time breakfast should be there.

Then our host came over and we sat over a map and he told us exactly where to go and what to do there. We didn’t want to do to much because the main reason we came was to enjoy and relax. He told us where to see beautiful beaches and when to be back for sunset.

Our breakfast from our hotel and chabad

Our 5 min wallk to my car looked like that

At 12:30 we left our hotel to see the island. We made a few stops along the way. We just could not get enough of this view. The first stop was the Red Beach. We took a little hike there took in the view and left.

Picture on our way around the island

Red Beach

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 02:26:47 AM »
Beautiful pictures. Thanks

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 12:28:42 PM »
It was almost 5:30 so we drove back to our hotel to watch the sunset.
Our way back to our hotel

Outside our place and some sunset pictures

Our food from Chabad

All the boats out there for sunset

We warmed up our food from Chabad which was fresh and yummy. We enjoyed beautiful sunset from our jaccuzi. The entire sunset takes about 2 hours. We had a perfect view and no people crowding over us. Most people watch from the castle but with a porch like ours it wasn’t necessary. 

Once it got dark about 8pm we went out for a walk. It was very interesting to explore the island. The streets are steps and little gift shops here and there. It was very cool. We walked about an hour and went to bed.

For the next day our host booked us a cruise with Caldera Yachting.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 06:43:53 AM »
I was in ATH when I saw you posted this, and after a quick glimpse I was upset ATH wasn't included, but now reading it properly and seeing the pictures I just can't wait for summer. The Greek and Italian Islands (specifically Lampedusa and Pantelleria, Italy)
are 2 places on my Bucket list (expanded version), Santorini looks great, maybe a bit too cliché, just like Mykonos, still would love to go there.
Really great job, and the pictures are beautiful.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 10:37:27 AM »
I was in ATH when I saw you posted this, and after a quick glimpse I was upset ATH wasn't included, but now reading it properly and seeing the pictures I just can't wait for summer. The Greek and Italian Islands (specifically Lampedusa and Pantelleria, Italy)
are 2 places on my Bucket list (expanded version), Santorini looks great, maybe a bit too cliché, just like Mykonos, still would love to go there.
Really great job, and the pictures are beautiful.
Thanks . and what do u mean my maybe a bit too cliché ? I would any time go back ,

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 11:18:44 AM »
Thanks . and what do u mean my maybe a bit too cliché ? I would any time go back ,
I'm more for originality. But I guess some of the more typical places are typical for a good reason
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 11:20:39 AM »
Nice pictures, looks beautiful!

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 05:29:53 PM »
Some pictures of the night views

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 05:40:47 PM »
05/02/18 our 2nd day

We got up about 7:30 showered davened and ate breakfast outside with this amazing views, and got ready for our boat tour.

Breakfast was waiting for us when we got up

Our view from our room in the morning

9:05 there was a van waiting for us and they took us to the boat. The way took about 35 minutes.  Once we got there we waited about 20 minutes then we boarded the ship

The boat ride costs $175.00 per person which includes unlimited drinks and lunch which wasn’t kosher.  It leaves 10:30 for 5 hours. It is expensive but it’s not a crowded boat. Its more private. They only take 15 passengers our boat only had 11. We were able to have our quiet corner. 

I would say it’s a must to do. You can explore the island via water. They make a few stops. At one point you can swim in the volcano. You can also swim in the clear blue water. We had an amazing time on the boat. We got back at 3:30, and the company took us back to our hotel. We arrived at 4pm.

Our ship for the day

[

U get to swim in volcano

We relaxed, ate supper, a different menu than yesterday and also delicious. And took a walk that night again.

View from our

Food for the night

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 05:59:00 PM »
Thank you for the time you spent on posting this TR and pictures, absolutely amazing. What was your favorite thing about Santorini?

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 07:25:31 PM »
Thank you for the time you spent on posting this TR and pictures, absolutely amazing. What was your favorite thing about Santorini?
The views and the relaxation. And all in it.

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 07:29:02 PM »
Agreed, it is so beautiful and relaxing, was there a couple of times, it has been a while, time to plan a new trip .

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 10:51:23 AM »
is there a favorite tho? it has a young awesome vibe to it, for the most part no junkies and the sites i mean.... its just a really awesome place i'd go back there anytime (cant find the right words to explain the place but for honeymoon it should be at the top of your list)
Sometimes You Will Never Know the True Value of A Moment Until It's Become A Memory...

Offline Naftuli19

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 10:52:25 AM »
Greece TR May 1 2018

We decide to go to Israel for Lag baomer from NYC.

On our way back we will stop in Santorini Greece for a few days.

Trip planning

2 weeks before our trip I was looking for some advice on Dan Deals but there was not much information on the Greece thread. So it was little hard doing my own homework.

First I had to decide in which area to stay and decided on Oia. Then to decide which hotel to choose in Oia, so many hotels came up and most of them had good reviews.

Finally I booked La Perla Villas. It had very good reviews, from the pictures I saw the hotel has beautiful views. Part of the amenities were that they have a big refrigerator so I can keep my kosher food in it.

I booked tickets from TLV to ATH to JTR.

There are not many flights from Tlv to JTR. You have  morning flights or you have to stay overnight in ATH.

Our flight was with Aegean Air it leaves 5:10 am with a stop in Ath and arrives 11:10 am total of 2 tickets were $280.00.

I booked a car on Priceline with Avis. Total cost for 3 days was $140.00

I ordered food from Chabad of Athens. It wasn’t cheap but was worth it. They shipped it with a ferry and our hotel concierge picked it up at the dock and delivered to our room. When we arrived to the hotel all the food was there. Every single dish breakfast and dinner was delicious.

My coming home flight I used  200k Alaska points, flew with Emirates business class that  leaves 5:20 pm from Ath.

Since we were in Israel we emailed the hotel we were meant to stay if they can send someone pick up our food from the port. They emailed back what kind of food r u bringing, you can’t bring any food to our hotel as you will not have where to keep it.
We emailed back and forth about the issue, I sent them pictures where it says on their website large refrigerator in the room. But to no avail. They will not allow us to bring in food and they made us cancel our reservation. To make a long story short we had nowhere to stay and had to start looking for a place all over again.

It was not easy as most places were booked or way too expensive. I finally found a nice place called Hyperion Oia Suites, we had the best time there, the view was amazing and the hotel was beautiful.

04/30/18

We woke up at 2:00 am after sleeping just 2 hours to go the airport to catch our 5:10 am flight to Athens. When we arrived to TLV airport the lines to security before check in were very long. After waiting about 30 minutes in line I realized that my hand luggage is not mine. I guess when we came out of the rental shuttle our suitcases got mixed up and someone took mine. I had my tefillin in there and my laptop and lots of food for our trip. Help! What do we do now? So I went to security and told them what happened. They told me to open that suitcase and see if I find the name of the passenger. Luckily there was some medication in the suitcase (and some dirty laundry). The security operator paged this persons name on the loudspeakers to come to security.

This older couple shows up and says they already checked in their luggage and since it’s a short flight for them they checked in the hand luggage too. His flight was 6:20 am. The fun begins. Security did not let him check his hand luggage or remove our suitcase from the checked bags for security purposes. The only thing we can do is make both of us miss our flights. Once the flight leaves they will return that persons luggage and our hand luggage.

We begged and begged. Then finally they said ok they will let the guy check his hand luggage they will remove our luggage but we can only get it back once that flight leaves. That means we are missing our flight.

So we miss our flight and wait patiently for security to bring us our hand luggage. I did not want to book another flight before I have my luggage. It was too risky. At 7am I got my hand luggage. We were so tired and couldn’t think straight what to do next.

Lesson learnt always double check your luggage at all times!

04/30/18 7:00 AM

We have our luggage and what do we do. There were no normal tickets out of Israel to Athens. We were ready to cancel our trip but no refund for food hotel and car and plane to come home it wasn’t worth it.   We saw a ticket but it was too close to check in we couldn’t book it online so we went to the ticket desk. We booked a flight with Pegasus air from Israel to Turkey from Turkey to Athens and from Athens to Santorini. Instead of Arriving 10 am we arrived 11pm.

We flew with Pegasus Airlines paid for the total of the new tickets $380.00

The plane left at 10:35 Am TLV to SAW.  Our stop over there was 4 hours. From there we flew to Athens with a stop of 1 hour. Once we arrived to Ath we ran to the gate to Santorini. It was the last flight of the day so we had to make it. Flight was 7:50pm with Olympic air. 

Overall it was a long day. The flights were ok. The service was great.  Hashem wanted us to be there a day later so we take it with open hands.

Our flight that day

Arriving in ATH nice views

Arriving in JTR small airport u can see the airport from the sky

The plane ride from Ath to Jtr only took 30 minutes. It’s a small airport. We got our luggage and we were out 15 minutes later. When you come out there is a counter for car rental. There was no line I had the keys in 10 minutes. 

When I picked up the car he asked if I have an international license, I said no he said its ok I can rent you a car but if you get stopped by a police you will get a 1000 euro fine. The entire time in  Greece I didn’t see any police.

It was 9:15pm by the time we left the airport. The way to our hotel in Oia took 30 minutes. It’s a beautiful scenic route but at night its pitch dark. The roads are very curvy so you have to drive very slow.

Once I got closer to the hotel, they told me where I have to park and the concierge was waiting for me there to take my luggage. From parking to the hotel is a 5 minute walk.

The guy was extremely nice and helpful. He showed us everything. He kept on asking if we need anything. He gave us his personal cell number so we can call him with any information we want.
We got to our suite, the look of it was amazing. Like in a cave. A huge box with all our food was there waiting for us. The private Jacuzzi overlooking the water was very tempting. Se we quickly warmed up some food and relaxed in the Jacuzzi and called it a night.

We were very happy and relaxed that we finally made it to Greece.

Our Food in the box waiting for us 

and amazing TR, and pictures, which reminds me i gotta finish mine  ;) ;D ;D

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 12:12:35 PM »
nice TR - keep it coming

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 12:58:53 PM »

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 12:59:34 PM »
is there a favorite tho? it has a young awesome vibe to it, for the most part no junkies and the sites i mean.... its just a really awesome place i'd go back there anytime (cant find the right words to explain the place but for honeymoon it should be at the top of your list)

I am 1000% with u .