Author Topic: United Refua need to make decision  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Leah613

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
United Refua need to make decision
« on: March 27, 2019, 02:45:32 AM »
 Hi so after being dropped by Kaiser the local great HMO when my husband went alone in business, we have a crazy expensive insurance that has a huge deductible and is really there for gd forbid emergency. We are looking into United Refua which is a healthshare group started by some nice Frum yidden in Cleveland  (not Dan
). There are some obvious red flags like what of several members needed major expenses the whole thing would crash. On other hand it's less than half what we pay for emergency huge deductible insurance. Thoughts? I know the dandeals forums had a discussion on it last year but it seemed like people from the company were commenting.  I want YOUR views.

Offline nucheiner

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: United Refua need to make decision
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 10:14:36 AM »
So far seems to be working well. Supposedly they only paid out less then 5% so far. I do know that someone actually was able to go to Sloan using it which very few insurances these days would allow. Bear in mind however they have yet to cover labor and delivery as they weren't around for 9 months yet. These can get expensive especially if an infant ends up in the NICU.

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 11:56:18 AM »
I am very skeptical:

In addition to the risks of insolvency, there are other caveats:

1. Pre-exisiting conditions from the last 36 months are either not covered (year 1) or are capped at 25k
2. No contraceptive care (I guess you could get discounted care from PP if relevant to you)
3. Require you follow "spiritual guidance" on alcohol (whatever that means - unless member docs cover this in detail, this seems like an easy out)
4. Giant disclaimer that they can refuse to pay for any claim at any time
etc. etc.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 12:43:43 AM »
I’d worry just because they are so new. I know a number of people that use Liberty Healthshare and are very happy.

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 06:43:45 AM »
I signed up for liberty this year, but I’m nervous  cuz I heard people aren’t getting paid

Offline Denverite

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 01:24:37 PM »
I signed up for liberty this year, but I’m nervous  cuz I heard people aren’t getting paid

They definitely have had some techlogy glitches when they moved to the new system a couple months ago and I’ve seen big surgery, etc bills paid.  But I guess you never know.