Topic Wiki

Below I will create labeled links to each section of the TR for an easier reading experience. I will also be linking my Flickr album so if you're not interested in reading it all, you can just enjoy the pictures.

1.Introduction/Planning 2.ORD-RTB 3.Arriving in RTB/Departing RTB 4.Arriving in UII 5.Arriving at the Island 6.Island Tour 7.Island Life

Videos

Takeoff from RTB video  Island Flyover  Island flyaround  Utila and cays video
« Last edited by as2 on February 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM »

Author Topic: A Getaway to Paradise - as2's Private Island Escape  (Read 17399 times)

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Re: A Getaway to Paradise - as2's Private Island Escape
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 01:38:16 PM »
Now, we’ll take the tour of the interior

Awesome walkthrough, triggers happy memories.

If you don't mind, I'm going to link to your post from my TR.

ETA: Done.

So... Here's the part where you grab the tar and feathers and run me out of town: I don't have a single picture of the house to share. Not one.

But wait! There's hope. A guy named ‎Lucie Pineault was there shortly before me and has some decent pictures of the house, so I'll link to his Facebook pictures below when applicable. [EDIT 2/27/19: Lucie's pictures are now gone from Facebook, but DDFer @as2 just came back from the island has has an awesome walkthrough in his trip report - you can see it around halfways down this post.]
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 01:45:25 PM by Something Fishy »
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 01:58:16 PM »
Awesome walkthrough, triggers happy memories.

If you don't mind, I'm going to link to your post from my TR.

ETA: Done.
Awesome! Thanks!
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline theyankel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 03:02:02 PM »
this trip is the newest addition to my bucket list

Offline IGBES

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 03:38:18 PM »
Amazing TR!

The only thing that would hold me back, is that the house kinda reminds me of a camp bunkhouse, not sure I would wanna spend the night there. Did it feel clean?

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 03:41:27 PM »
Amazing TR!

The only thing that would hold me back, is that the house kinda reminds me of a camp bunkhouse, not sure I would wanna spend the night there. Did it feel clean?
Felt clean, but definitely not fancy or luxurious. The rest of it far outweighs that IMO

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2019, 03:48:21 PM »
Out of curiosity, what does one do on a private island in case of a medical emergency? Is there anyone to call?

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2019, 04:30:10 PM »
Out of curiosity, what does one do on a private island in case of a medical emergency? Is there anyone to call?
The owner is a call/text/email away. Obviously the response is not going to be instantaneous, but it'll probably be better than my local ambulance This is a risk in any semi remote location really.

Offline Denverite

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2019, 06:14:22 PM »
Really cool TR, thanks for sharing!!

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2019, 08:13:07 PM »
Great TR.
Appreciate all the effort you put into it.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2019, 08:16:44 PM »
Really cool TR, thanks for sharing!!
Great TR.
Appreciate all the effort you put into it.
Thanks! This is the motivation I need to finish it up Should have another post up tonight.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2019, 08:58:16 PM »

Island Life

We walked the island, from the north side, up to the east point, and stood there looking out at the water for a bit. We headed back on the south side of the island and took a detour among the trees in the more central area to get back to the cabin.

By this time, the sun was beginning to set, and being that we were quite exhausted both from not sleeping, as well as traveling all day, we decided it was time for dinner and an early bedtime.

For food, we had brought a pot and a pan as well as a spatula and ladle, a bunch of Meal Mart shelf stable meals (mainly chulent), a bunch of tradition soups, oatmeal, some noodles, granola bars, cheese, and bread. We purchased eggs there, along with some more noodles, some fruit and some other odds and ends. Overall, Meal mart meals aren’t all that bad, actually, I found some to be quite good. The chulent, comes with kishke and potato kugel, which when warmed right, is actually quite tasty, and filling. Avoid the parve cheese ravioli at all costs… The rib dinner was delicious as well.

We boiled up a pot of the unfiltered fresh water from the sink, so as not to waste our precious drinking water, and threw some chulents in for about 10 min.

After a hearty filling meal, we were ready to head to bed. I figured we’d charge up our phones before bed, and went to plug them into the charging station. It was working just fine before, but now, it was letting out a little beep, then nothing. Our power supply was gone. The lights were all still working, and the battery meter was showing ¾ full, so I assumed the power station was on its own system, and needed to charge back up. I left it for the night, and figured I’d give it a try in the morning. Our phones, and only means of communication with the kids, and barry, were at about 10%. I shut mine off to preserve battery in case we needed it later, and my wife kept hers on to use as a clock (there aren’t any in the cabin). I passed out at about 6:45 to the sound of the waves splashing against the shores of our own little paradise.

I typically am awakened by my kids, at some inhumane hours, and factoring in that I had gotten 10 hours of sleep, I was up at about 4:45. The sun didn’t rise until about 6:30, so I ended up heading back to bed, for a couple hours.(Ah, the luxury of a vacation without the kids!)

At around 8:00 we got out of bed and started our day. It was still a overcast, and it was drizzling occasionally. I checked out our power station, but was met with silence. With the winds still quite harsh, I figured Barry wouldn’t make it over, and started to worry a bit.

We made eggs for breakfast, and ate them in the living room, as the weather wasn’t cooperating enough to eat outside. After breakfast, I started playing around with the power station again, and realized it was wired to the main battery supply. If the lights were working, so should it. I took a look at the fuses on the back, and lo and behold, the thing came to life! Apparently it was just a loose connection. We called home, and checked on the kids who were doing just fine.

I wandered around admiring, and taking pictures of the little things, whose beauty was not at all diminished by the weather.

Pelicans hangin' on the dock

Coconuts!

Hiding hermit crab

Pelican

Barnacles(?) on some driftwood

Hermit Crab

Hermit Crab

With the weather being so ‘blah’, we kinda just chilled most of the day, with an occasional dip in the water and walk on the beach. We were more than happy with the weather, even if it could’ve been better, and were fine knowing that it might not clear up. Still worth it by a long shot, but it’s not like we weren’t still hoping for some sun. After a very relaxing day, we headed to bed, concluding our first full day on the island.

We awoke Tuesday morning to sun shining through the trees! Finally!

We whipped up some eggs for breakfast, and enjoyed eating out on the deck, with the warm breeze perfecting the ambiance. While the islands beauty was evident the previous days, it was notched up when flooded with natural warmth and light. Today the water had an inviting look that couldn’t be ignored. After breakfast, we took a walk around the island once more, but this time, it was like a whole new world. As we made our way around the back of the island, we found a large fallen tree the seemed to be hollow. Apparently this was an iguana hot spot, because they were camped out on it, enjoying the sun.

Mr Iguana (Larry)

Our reptilious friend

We headed to the eastern point of the island, all the while, basking in the sun. The waves meet at the tip of the island, and kid of clap together.

The waves...

meeting...

splash!

As we walked the island, we noticed some of the things that seemed to pop a bit more when the sun was out. Along the south shore, some beautiful orange flowers grew.

Random flower

Some fungus grew off a nearby tree, kind of looking like a disc that impaled it.

Tree fungus

Back at the dock, the pelicans were enjoying the sun too.

Sunbathing pelican

Up in a nearby tree, a pelican sat and waited for the perfect time to swoop down and grab some fish.

Pelican watching for fish, from above

In the distance, you could clearly see the shores of Utila, and its outlying cays.

The shores of Utila on the horizon

Arial view of Utila

Some other cays off of Utila

The last cay in that string of cayos is actually Little Cay, the other island owned by the Jacksons.

We went snorkeling throughout the trip, but unfortunately, my Gopro case left a black ring around my pictures and videos. I didn’t bring much else for underwater photography, and the one other option I had didn’t work. So for great underwater pictures, I’ll refer you to SF’s report, where the pictures are clearer than my goggles were.There are a few in my Flickr, but not even worth posting. I’ll still verbalize (in writing) it a bit. We opted to enter primarily from the area off the tip of the island just a bit south. That area deepened gradually, and was easy to maneuver in, out, and around. Literally the second your goggles dip below the surface, you are met with the sight of gorgeous reefs. Fish of all shapes sizes, and colors surround the reefs, swimming in and out of the nooks and crannies or the reefs. I’ve been diving before, but this was another world. The coral alone was beyond gorgeous, and the sea life that swarmed it was dialing it up a notch. I regret not doing more snorkeling, but I still got some solid time in.

As the day came to a close, we walked the south shore and enjoyed watching the sun set. Fish of all colors were visible even from the shore, and they’d practically swim up onto the sand. As we walked, I noticed a stingray in the water just a few feet away from me. This was a small ray, but cool nonetheless.

Stingray
Stingray

I tried to get some underwater shots, but as soon as my hand went under, he swam away…

Tuesday and Wednesday were pretty much a bunch swimming, snorkeling, eating, hammocking, and strolling the island.

Wednesday evening, our last on the island, I took the drone up for a final sunset spin.

Sunset

Sunset

The orange horizon

More sunset

Sunset

Nightfall on the island

Well that’s enough of that. We had a 6:00 am flight Thursday morning departing from UII, So we packed up a bit, ate dinner, and called it a night, with alarms set for 4:00 am...

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2019, 09:06:57 PM »
Awesome! Seems like a shame to go for so short though.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2019, 09:08:38 PM »
Awesome! Seems like a shame to go for so short though.
Shabbos would probably be doable, but not ideal. This was pretty much the longest we'd get without being away for shabbos. I don't feel like it was too short, but longer definitely wouldn't have hurt.

Offline Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2019, 03:17:04 PM »
Those last few drone pics are amazing! What model did you use for them?

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2019, 04:22:53 PM »
Those last few drone pics are amazing! What model did you use for them?
I brought a Mavic Pro

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2019, 03:12:22 PM »
Tuesday and Wednesday were pretty much a bunch swimming, snorkeling, eating, hammocking, and strolling the island.

I must have missed this the first time around, but apparently they added hammocks between our stays. Where on the island was it?

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2019, 05:59:31 PM »
I must have missed this the first time around, but apparently they added hammocks between our stays. Where on the island was it?
No they didn't. I brought my own. Well worth the $15 or so on Amazon.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2019, 06:40:32 PM »
No they didn't. I brought my own. Well worth the $15 or so on Amazon.

Got it.

Offline Zalc

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2021, 11:15:52 PM »

A quick side by side of my overhead shot, and SFs, shows that the island is, shall we say, moving.[/size]

Side by side

2021 Update: the island has changed shape again, and the 2 sides of the house have a roof connecting them.

Thank you for posting this TR, it was invaluable in planning the trip.

Is there interest in a 3rd TR for Sandy Cay?

Most of the details have already been laid out by @Something Fishy  and OP who have better writing and photography skills than I.

Offline 1avigrun

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2021, 06:46:51 AM »

2021 Update: the island has changed shape again, and the 2 sides of the house have a roof connecting them.

Thank you for posting this TR, it was invaluable in planning the trip.

Is there interest in a 3rd TR for Sandy Cay?

Most of the details have already been laid out by @Something Fishy  and OP who have better writing and photography skills than I.

Just add what you think hasn’t been said