Author Topic: Charity Calls  (Read 3235 times)

Offline shiframeir

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
Charity Calls
« on: March 03, 2019, 11:21:21 AM »
I keep getting calls from different orgs with different people making almost identical shpeils off a script (it would be a tremendous help!) first asking for $54 like before though i never gave them before then slowly ratcheting down. I asked if the person is a paid soliciter and she said no, but hard to understand what is going on. used to be OU affiliated charities (NCSY etc.) but now expanded into a bunch of random israeli charities too, anyone know what the story is? how could they all have the same script and get my cell? I usually ask for their website so i can check it out which they reluctantly give but beg to send something in the mail to confirm my pledge. i worked for non-jewish soliciters (for school alumni) in the past and im pretty sure these people are doing the same thing, but how can they tell me they aren't paid soliciters? am i just jaded?

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Charity Calls
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 11:25:25 AM »
how can they tell me they aren't paid soliciters? am i just jaded?

They are probably volunteers

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 11:49:25 AM »
They are probably volunteers
+.5 there are a lot of volunteers, however there are companies that sell donor lists and will upon request also sell a auto-dialer system and if requested will hire people to man these call centers (mainly bochurim and high school girls).
The scripts are fairly standard that’s why they sound repetitive.

Offline yitrap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 01:40:18 PM »
I keep getting calls from different orgs with different people making almost identical shpeils off a script (it would be a tremendous help!) first asking for $54 like before though i never gave them before then slowly ratcheting down. I asked if the person is a paid soliciter and she said no, but hard to understand what is going on. used to be OU affiliated charities (NCSY etc.) but now expanded into a bunch of random israeli charities too, anyone know what the story is? how could they all have the same script and get my cell? I usually ask for their website so i can check it out which they reluctantly give but beg to send something in the mail to confirm my pledge. i worked for non-jewish soliciters (for school alumni) in the past and im pretty sure these people are doing the same thing, but how can they tell me they aren't paid soliciters? am i just jaded?
Been getting the same exact thing. Drives me nuts.

Offline shiframeir

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg gold. nothing else. sigh.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 01:55:20 PM »
Been getting the same exact thing. Drives me nuts.
its like a coordinated attack, no more than one per week, but the same script and begging.

+.5 there are a lot of volunteers, however there are companies that sell donor lists and will upon request also sell a auto-dialer system and if requested will hire people to man these call centers (mainly bochurim and high school girls).
The scripts are fairly standard that’s why they sound repetitive.
if they are volunteers why the push to send something by mail? that's a specific script play for a solicitor (i've drafted these contracts) to ensure the 3rd party solicitor can get credit for whatever is paid in later as it is locked in as a maybe  respondent. Just weirds me out and i dont want to give to any of these people, which of course makes me then feel guilty and terrible. and during ADAR ch'v!!

Offline yitrap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 01:57:51 PM »
its like a coordinated attack, no more than one per week, but the same script and begging.
 if they are volunteers why the push to send something by mail? that's a specific script play for a solicitor (i've drafted these contracts) to ensure the 3rd party solicitor can get credit for whatever is paid in later as it is locked in as a maybe  respondent. Just weirds me out and i dont want to give to any of these people, which of course makes me then feel guilty and terrible. and during ADAR ch'v!!
Usually I say that I never give pledges on the phone so they must be incorrect, if they insist I allow them to send a mailer but I'm clear to say I'm not committing to anything I just feel bad cause it's a waste of a stamp.

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 03:00:28 PM »
Because that the script the solicitor wrote for the volunteer, it increases income for the charity. One $18 Check covers 36 envelopes (not considering future income from the donor that replied)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 03:19:44 PM »
This is something I've been thinking about recently. I get a lot of phone calls from charities, and I end giving to a lot of them.
The problem is that it's very annoying to get charity phone calls all day and by helping them out I end up promoting this annoying fundraising method.

I just wish there's a better way to give to them without incentivizing this annoying fundraising method.
Visibly Jewish