Author Topic: Loving Avis Right Now...  (Read 30007 times)

Offline sawlw

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Loving Avis Right Now...
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »
Dan Njoy ur beemer while we argue over buying a Maytag washing machine and eating hagn das' bec it sounds german ;D

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Loving Avis Right Now...
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »
Dan Njoy ur beemer while we argue over buying a Maytag washing machine and eating hagn das' bec it sounds german ;D

Lol.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline mercaz1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2011, 02:06:50 PM »
Because your explanation is terse, and not as explanatory as you may think, I'll assume "shared history' = WWII/Holocaust?

Need I continue, or can you provide a meaningful distinction among and between them and your seemingly incongruent stance on German products? Aside, of course, for the temporal proximity.)

that is the real reason i think
in 2 or 3 generations i think ppl will be buying german cars much more readily without any qualms about the holocaust. that is human nature to forget but nowadays when we still have survivors and 1st generation after survivors it is almost a smack in the face to buy a german car from the same nation that murdered your grandparents/aunts/uncles/family

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »
you dont get it, do you

flaunting that you have a car built with german ingenuity, the same ingenuity that was used to facilitate the brutal slaughter of my family

besides the issues of the slave labor and the association of these brands with the nazis

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2011, 02:43:52 PM »
you dont get it, do you

who doesnt get it?

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2011, 02:49:43 PM »
That's why I exclusively eat/drink/ride/fly etc. Aussie! ;)

Eat Aussie? The Aussies are up there with their British cousins in that category. Uch.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2011, 02:51:23 PM »
what about curtis stone?

Offline MnM1130

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2011, 03:00:04 PM »
Actually from my understanding (and i can be totaly wrong) the reason why jews have a "no buying cars policy" from Germany is because after the holocaust they were giving the jews presents for their wrong doings- and it was cars... So theres a connection between the holocaust and the german cars... (the story goes something like that... i dont usually listen to storys very well)

Offline shmiel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
Because your explanation is terse, and not as explanatory as you may think, I'll assume "shared history' = WWII/Holocaust?

If so, do you (or would you) fly Air France, use BIC pens, or otherwise contribute in any way to supporting the economy in France? (See Second Crusade.)

Do you (or would you) fly British Airways, drink scotch, or otherwise contribute in any way to supporting the economy of Great Britain? (See Edict of Expulsion.)

Do you (or would you) fly Iberia Airlines, eat Spanish olives, or otherwise contribute in any way to supporting the economy of Spain? (See Spanish Inquisition.)

Need I continue, or can you provide a meaningful distinction among and between them and your seemingly incongruent stance on German products? (Aside, of course, for the temporal proximity.)
Are you kidding me? All of those events combined do not equal the massacre and destruction that took place in the Holocaust, so your comparison doesn't stand (regardless of the intent of those governments you mentioned). And, of course time matters; as time passes Jews will increasingly buy more German products including cars, but you still have many people who survived the Holocaust and it makes perfect sense that they or their children don't want to buy German products (and especially cars, which are big purchases).

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2011, 03:18:39 PM »

If so, do you (or would you) fly Air France, use BIC pens, or otherwise contribute in any way to supporting the economy in France? (See Second Crusade.)

Do you (or would you) fly British Airways, drink scotch, or otherwise contribute in any way to supporting the economy of Great Britain? (See Edict of Expulsion.)

Do you (or would you) fly Iberia Airlines, eat Spanish olives, or otherwise contribute in any way to supporting the economy of Spain? (See Spanish Inquisition.)

Need I continue, or can you provide a meaningful distinction among and between them and your seemingly incongruent stance on German products? (Aside, of course, for the temporal proximity.)
Are you serious? I don't even know where to start. You can't compare those to the holocaust which took millions of jewish lives and is still very fresh on our minds. And while the younger generations may have no issue driving german cars (especially with globalization switching around who actually designs builds and owns these cars) many of us have a grandparent or two who would cringe at the site of their grandchild stepping out of such a car. I know a family who grew up saying german is treif. Besides the fact that most of the companies you mentioned weren't around during nor did they participate in any way in those tragic events, while many of these german companies supported (or were at least visible during)the holocaust one way or the other.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2011, 03:32:19 PM »
i dont think time will change anything with the holocaust, with video and museums

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2011, 03:59:28 PM »
i dont think time will change anything with the holocaust, with video and museums

have to disagree with you this one.

I know a family who grew up saying german is treif.
my grandmother refused to disembark when she had a stopover in germany on the way to israel

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »
Eat Aussie? The Aussies are up there with their British cousins in that category. Uch.
It was a joke.

On a side point, I love how things go so OT over here...

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2011, 04:35:53 PM »
All of those events combined do not equal the massacre and destruction that took place in the Holocaust, so your comparison doesn't stand

Those are examples, food for thought, a whetting of the appetite. Hence why I said "need I continue" at the bottom of my post. There are dozens more examples of Jewish persecution over the ages.

Now, I'm no historian buff, but I'd wager that over the course of the last 5000 years the number killed is significantly more than 6-7 million people. Additionally, unless you're an historian buff, you don't know the extent to which Jewish people were persecuted, raped, and robbed during the previous calamitous periods. In fact, I'd further wager that the persecution the Jewish people experienced at the hands of the Mitzrim was orders of magnitude more egregious than what was experienced from 1939-1945.

You can't compare those to the holocaust which took millions of jewish lives and is still very fresh on our minds. And while the younger generations may have no issue driving german cars (especially with globalization switching around who actually designs builds and owns these cars) many of us have a grandparent or two who would cringe at the site of their grandchild stepping out of such a car.

Again, aside from the temporal proximity, there is no real distinction to be made. Yes, I'd agree it may be emotionally disturbing to someone who survived the Holocaust to see one of their progeny step out of a German-made vehicle. However, emotion is certainly not infallible, and it certainly is not perpetually (or ever) logical.

Despite what you may have learned, German ≠ Nazi, and German car manufacturers ≠ Nazi.

Besides the fact that most of the companies you mentioned weren't around during nor did they participate in any way in those tragic events, while many of these german companies supported (or were at least visible during)the holocaust one way or the other.

So just being in existence during 1939-1945 is enough for you to boycott? Interesting approach.

So video is the saving grace? In 100 years, the Holocaust will be but a blip on the world's historical radar. You may not like it (hell, I don't like it), but them are the facts of life and time.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:40:31 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2011, 04:36:30 PM »
On a side point, I love how things go so OT over here...

True, my bad.

I suffer from intellectual curiosity.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 04:52:56 PM »
Maybe some peoples sentiments are similar to this WWII Vets feeling about Japanese cars

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2011, 05:23:19 PM »
you dont get it, do you

flaunting that you have a car built with german ingenuity, the same ingenuity that was used to facilitate the brutal slaughter of my family

besides the issues of the slave labor and the association of these brands with the nazis

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2011, 08:40:19 PM »
Maybe some peoples sentiments are similar to this WWII Vets feeling about Japanese cars

How did u get it to start at that point? I see that if u change the URL u can have it at any second u want, but did u sit and calculate how many second in was the POI?

Offline smurf

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2011, 08:59:03 PM »
How did u get it to start at that point? I see that if u change the URL u can have it at any second u want, but did u sit and calculate how many second in was the POI?
Right click and choose "copy URL at selected time"
Does anyone know how to get an embedded  video to start at a selected time?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2011, 09:08:13 PM »
you dont get it, do you

Actually, it's looking like you're the one who has some insuperable mental sticking point.

As I said earlier:

Yes, I'd agree it may be emotionally disturbing to someone who survived the Holocaust to see one of their progeny step out of a German-made vehicle. However, emotion is certainly not infallible, and it certainly is not perpetually (or ever) logical.

Despite what you may have learned, German ≠ Nazi, and German car manufacturers ≠ Nazi.

And "flaunting?" Really?

Driving a car does not a "flaunter" make... unless your Amish.