Author Topic: Loving Avis Right Now...  (Read 30018 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Loving Avis Right Now...
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 06:30:09 PM »
i dont think he was referring to the quality of the car...

Precisely. He must have been referring to the mere fact that it IS German... and German, as we all know, is bad, right? Cuz that's where the Holocaust was, right? So, it'd be wrong to buy a German car, or anything German-made. Am I following?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 06:32:57 PM »
Precisely. He must have been referring to the mere fact that it IS German... and German, as we all know, is bad, right? Cuz that's where the Holocaust was, right? So, it'd be wrong to buy a German car, or anything German-made. Am I following?
how does you last statement reflect what you are now saying?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 06:33:35 PM »
a german car? ech
Buying a german car ≠ renting a german car.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 06:34:43 PM »
i got the the bmw pesach time from avis lga (jfk doesnt carry them). at least mine was black. red screams rental car

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 06:35:57 PM »
Buying a german car ≠ renting a german car.
i happen to agree to that as well. thats why i rent them as i sure wouldnt buy one

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 07:05:45 PM »
how does you last statement reflect what you are now saying?

I tried to give the commenter the benefit of the doubt and assume he was talking about driveability, and not the fact that it is merely German as being the impediment to renting. However, based on your comment, it seems (to the extent you're interpreting it correctly) that he was not talking about the former, but about the latter.

i happen to agree to that as well. thats why i rent them as i sure wouldnt buy one

Why?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 04:33:44 AM »
are you really asking why i wouldnt buy a german car? is this the first time youve heard such a position?

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 09:50:54 AM »
i was talking about not driving a german car due to the fact that it was german and not about the quality but i was also joking
 if i was given the option of renting a german car i would go for it also but i would never buy one

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 11:46:45 AM »
are you really asking why i wouldnt buy a german car?

Indeed.

is this the first time youve heard such a position?

No, definitely not. However, I'd love to hear an explanation of the position.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 11:48:20 AM »
is an explanation really necessary? come on

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 11:57:53 AM »
I think it is, IMHO. I'm truly curious to know why precisely you would not buy (or even rent for that matter) a German car.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 12:00:09 PM »
I think it is, IMHO. I'm truly curious to know why precisely you would not buy (or even rent for that matter) a German car.
i dont feel comfortable buying a german car based on our shared history

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 12:03:33 PM »

My grandfather only buys American cars out of respect to the country that offered him opportunity.  He would NEVER buy a German car. I understand him.  I just feel bad he only buys American as there are better options out there even without buying German.... :(   Oh well. He can afford to deal with the problems B"H.

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 12:27:40 PM »
i dont feel comfortable buying a german car based on our shared history

Because your explanation is terse, and not as explanatory as you may think, I'll assume "shared history' = WWII/Holocaust?

If so, do you (or would you) fly Air France, use BIC pens, or otherwise contribute in any way to supporting the economy in France? (See Second Crusade.)

Do you (or would you) fly British Airways, drink scotch, or otherwise contribute in any way to supporting the economy of Great Britain? (See Edict of Expulsion.)

Do you (or would you) fly Iberia Airlines, eat Spanish olives, or otherwise contribute in any way to supporting the economy of Spain? (See Spanish Inquisition.)

Need I continue, or can you provide a meaningful distinction among and between them and your seemingly incongruent stance on German products? (Aside, of course, for the temporal proximity.)

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 12:33:39 PM »
Because your explanation is terse, and not as explanatory as you may think, I'll assume "shared history' = WWII/Holocaust?

If so, do you (or would you) fly Air France, use BIC pens, or otherwise contribute in any way to supporting the economy in France? (See Second Crusade.)

Do you (or would you) fly British Airways, drink scotch, or otherwise contribute in any way to supporting the economy of Great Britain? (See Edict of Expulsion.)

Do you (or would you) fly Iberia Airlines, eat Spanish olives, or otherwise contribute in any way to supporting the economy of Spain? (See Spanish Inquisition.)

Need I continue, or can you provide a meaningful distinction among and between them and your seemingly incongruent stance on German products? (Aside, of course, for the temporal proximity.)

I agree with what you are saying.  I don't think the idea of not buying German is so much as  to not support them it's more of what people are trying to "say".    And while all the examples you listed are true, in regards to the holocaust and Germany, that is something most of us can relate to much easier with Grandparents/Parents who lived through it first hand.  And yes there are other products that are made in Germany but some not as widely known and nor do they STAND out as much as having a German car.    What you are saying is true in theory but you have to remember there are a lot of emotional reasons people do what they do. 

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 12:48:41 PM »

I agree with what you are saying.  I don't think the idea of not buying German is so much as  to not support them it's more of what people are trying to "say". 

...and what is it exactly, pray tell, that people are trying to "say?"

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 12:59:15 PM »
Nothing too complicated. Just that they wont forget..or are aware...   

If a store spits on you and treats you bad are you going to shop there? Even if it's a better deal?
Lots of people won't. And if they get new ownership? Lots of people still won't whether rational or not.  Like I said its more of an emotional thing for most people.  Not everything is black and white.   Were human beings. There's emotion involved. Everyones different.  That's all.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2011, 01:03:54 PM »
Nothing too complicated. Just that they wont forget..or are aware...

You mean, the same way they won't forget about France, Britain, and Spain (and all the rest of the countries and governments which have persecuted Jewry in the past 5000 years)?

It's intellectually inconsistent.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 01:43:10 PM »
That's why I exclusively eat/drink/ride/fly etc. Aussie! ;)

Offline sky121

• View Profile
Re: Re: Loving Avis Right Now...
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 01:53:15 PM »
You mean, the same way they won't forget about France, Britain, and Spain (and all the rest of the countries and governments which have persecuted Jewry in the past 5000 years)?

It's intellectually inconsistent.

You're right. Again I think its because the Holocaust is just more directly personal to most people.   

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk