Author Topic: Cheating Attitude?  (Read 27654 times)

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Cheating Attitude?
« on: March 04, 2019, 12:08:55 AM »
Guys, I have a sincere question and if I’m offbase please feel free to (nicely) tell me. I’ve read through probably 30 pages of this thread in the last couple days and I’m still having trouble wrapping my mind around all of this. Those people/transactions of the final months seem to totally be scams where these guys were clearly defrauding victims as they knew their businesses were heading south. The earlier transactions, however, seem to be totally mutually agreed upon transactions where the lender was happy to do so because of the money they made on the points. Everyone clearly knows that the banks don’t intend for credit cards to be used this way (and that you aren’t supposed to sell points).

My question is, do you think that certain attitudes of acceptance toward stealing and cheating non-Jews (ie, I know it’s against the bank rules but those rules of the goyim don’t really apply to us anyway) was also a large contributing factor, in addition to the obvious greed, in this clearly inappropriate behavior? I’ve seen people often post on DDF about how cheating non-Jews is permitted in Halacha, without any regard to whether it’s something that is just Stam not good for them to do. Heck, this attitude is so pervasive in the Hareidi world (don’t worry, I know that the MO world has other huge problems too) that my own kids try to tell me they can badmouth a non-Jew because it’s not Lashon Hara! At which point I nicely explain to them that it affects their neshama to speak like that and mine to hear it.

Again, feel free to express if you think I’m off base here but I just feel like this is the elephant in the room here. Dan always makes very clear that not only wouldn’t he do some swiping scheme to get points but he won’t even sell any points!  I don’t see how you address one part without honestly addressing the other.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:27:37 PM by Dan »

Offline YesThatsMe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 12:21:55 AM »
@Victim 2008 your inbox is full.

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 12:25:58 AM »
Guys, I have a sincere question and if I’m offbase please feel free to (nicely) tell me. I’ve read through probably 30 pages of this thread in the last couple days and I’m still having trouble wrapping my mind around all of this. Those people/transactions of the final months seem to totally be scams where these guys were clearly defrauding victims as they knew their businesses were heading south. The earlier transactions, however, seem to be totally mutually agreed upon transactions where the lender was happy to do so because of the money they made on the points. Everyone clearly knows that the banks don’t intend for credit cards to be used this way (and that you aren’t supposed to sell points).

My question is, do you think that certain attitudes of acceptance toward stealing and cheating non-Jews (ie, I know it’s against the bank rules but those rules of the goyim don’t really apply to us anyway) was also a large contributing factor, in addition to the obvious greed, in this clearly inappropriate behavior? I’ve seen people often post on DDF about how cheating non-Jews is permitted in Halacha, without any regard to whether it’s something that is just Stam not good for them to do. Heck, this attitude is so pervasive in the Hareidi world (don’t worry, I know that the MO world has other huge problems too) that my own kids try to tell me they can badmouth a non-Jew because it’s not Lashon Hara! At which point I nicely explain to them that it affects their neshama to speak like that and mine to hear it.

Again, feel free to express if you think I’m off base here but I just feel like this is the elephant in the room here. Dan always makes very clear that not only wouldn’t he do some swiping scheme to get points but he won’t even sell any points!  I don’t see how you address one part without honestly addressing the other.

No comment on the above but I will say that there is virtually no one on these forums that uses credit cards exactly the way the banks intend them to to be used. Not me. Not Dan. Not anyone. If you think otherwise you haven’t been on these forums long enough. Whether there’s any problem with using credit cards in a legal but unintended way is a different discussion for a different thread...

Offline Denverite

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 12:59:11 AM »
No comment on the above but I will say that there is virtually no one on these forums that uses credit cards exactly the way the banks intend them to to be used. Not me. Not Dan. Not anyone. If you think otherwise you haven’t been on these forums long enough. Whether there’s any problem with using credit cards in a legal but unintended way is a different discussion for a different thread...

I disagree and believe you are actually proving my point. Is even one of these high dollar loss victims/lenders not selling points? Would people’s yetzer hara’s ever convince them to do such an idiotic thing (and I’m not saying that meanly but factually because right now along with their anger, these victims are kicking themselves for being so stupid) if not for the temptation of the ill-gotten money from selling points? When you sell points you are taking the step down a wrong path that most people don’t escalate. Others have noted here that when you are getting “free” money, no matter what the source, it’s hard though for many to stop doing it. I’m just taking it a step further calling out the acceptance of the clearly shady and selective practice of selling points or other shady actions and that if our culture, condones all sorts of bad behavior simply because Halacha doesn’t forbid it, we are just inviting ourselves to keep experiencing these same painful things.

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 01:02:28 AM »
I just got info on a hiemishe optical store in willi that was a swiping farm ( is that a good terminology?) That went bust.
Swiping farm or swiping for actual merchandise?  And are they also bankrupt and stopped paying?
#TYH

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 01:07:26 AM »
I disagree and believe you are actually proving my point. Is even one of these high dollar loss victims/lenders not selling points? Would people’s yetzer hara’s ever convince them to do such an idiotic thing (and I’m not saying that meanly but factually because right now along with their anger, these victims are kicking themselves for being so stupid) if not for the temptation of the ill-gotten money from selling points? When you sell points you are taking the step down a wrong path that most people don’t escalate. Others have noted here that when you are getting “free” money, no matter what the source, it’s hard though for many to stop doing it. I’m just taking it a step further calling out the acceptance of the clearly shady and selective practice of selling points or other shady actions and that if our culture, condones all sorts of bad behavior simply because Halacha doesn’t forbid it, we are just inviting ourselves to keep experiencing these same painful things.
Why are you so convinced that selling points is so shady or that much of a problem? I'm just curious.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 01:36:59 AM »

More likely desperation coupled with lack of financial literacy is to blame  (in most cases) rather than tasting forbidden fruits.

Offline PSA2

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 06:30:49 AM »
Swiping farm or swiping for actual merchandise?  And are they also bankrupt and stopped paying?
Swiping farm. No merchandise. And they stopped paying.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 07:37:33 AM »

Do you not notice the irony of criticizing and defaming people that legally sell points in the same post where you mention how the big of a problem it is to say loshon hara?
Visibly Jewish

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 07:38:11 AM »
How long before Dan is told to hand over user name identifying info?

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 07:45:59 AM »

No.

I am willing to bet that many of the victims did NOT know that it’s against the t&c and are only finding this out now. If anything, the merchants used their Jewish/Chassidic background to lure unsuspecting Jewish/Chassidic victims into the scheme. It’s called affinity fraud and has been discussed in this thread.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 07:48:20 AM »

That would be a first amendment violation. They can only ask for that if someone made a direct threat or wrote something that indicates that they committed a crime.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 08:13:25 AM »
That would be a first amendment violation. They can only ask for that if someone made a direct threat or wrote something that indicates that they committed a crime.
Lol, no.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 08:18:41 AM »
Lol, no.

I hope he isn't the defense attorney :)

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 08:19:02 AM »
Lol, no.

OK, do you believe that a warrant will be needed?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »
In a criminal case? Sure. Civil? No.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 08:40:59 AM »

I'll ask my question again. Who wants to take bets?

And my second question: will @Dan let people know their anonymity is compromised :)

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 08:45:25 AM »
OK, do you believe that a warrant will be needed?
Subpoena will suffice
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 08:45:54 AM »

And my second question: will @Dan let people know their anonymity is compromised :)

Would he even be allowed to let them know?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 08:47:01 AM »
Why would I hand anything over without telling the person so that they could fight the order?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.