Author Topic: Cheating Attitude?  (Read 28187 times)

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 08:50:14 AM »
Why would I hand anything over without telling the person so that they could fight the order?

Would he even be allowed to let them know?

If it were up to you, sure. But my question is if it will be up to you.

@AJK, can someone restrict @Dan from letting people know that their posts are being reviewed???

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 08:51:31 AM »
Why would I hand anything over without telling the person so that they could fight the order?
To what extent do you even have personal identifying information? I don’t recall having to disclose any at DDF signup?

Is this a case of misplaced paranoia/overreaction?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 09:03:08 AM »
To what extent do you even have personal identifying information? I don’t recall having to disclose any at DDF signup?

Is this a case of misplaced paranoia/overreaction?
Email address and IP address should go a long way.

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 09:04:00 AM »
If you are so paranoid sign up for an alternate email via proxy and use that to sign up for DD....

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 09:12:06 AM »
Email address and IP address should go a long way.
I never use my main email address to sign up for forums.
-- Dan

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 09:29:12 AM »
I never use my main email address to sign up for forums.

Well depends how good you are at anonymizing your activity.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 09:34:57 AM »
Well depends how good you are at anonymizing your activity.

I have nothing to hide. So I don’t put effort into that.
-- Dan

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2019, 09:41:56 AM »
In a criminal case? Sure. Civil? No.

I saw a civil case where a company subpoenad user info from discussion boards on Investorshub and Investorshub successfully fought it on First Amendment grounds.

But you are right that the Feds violate the First Amendment all the time so this shouldn’t be any different. They can hack in without asking Dan altogether.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2019, 09:42:56 AM »
I have nothing to hide. So I don’t put effort into that.

If I see the feds looking for you in 770...

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 10:13:23 AM »
I hear. I’m very naive. Now I will never trust anyone again, even the tzaddik I believed SS was.

This is what did it? If anything this is pretty benign. The first thing he should be doing even if he fully intends (realistically or not) to pay everyone back in full is to have a competent attorney representing him. Representing him means exactly that. If he can get everyone reimbursed then great but that is secondary to working to ensure that he doesn't end up in prison. That is the way it should be. The issue is not him defending his interests now but rather how he took advantage of the victims before.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online elimmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2019, 10:40:07 AM »
@Dan
Please remove @Denverite's post. Many of the points there are off mark and it will probably be quoted in an article that will be published soon, IMHO.
calling out an entire group of people most of whom are legitimately doing nothing wrong, is disgusting. Call out the thieves, don't blame the community. Yes, most people here are opportunists, not shady characters and no one here believes in stealing from non Jews, our coffee of law clearly prohibits that. Look up shulchan aruch. Stop spreading hate and giving legitimacy to mein kampf or protocols of the elders of Zion. Everyone here knows you're lying, but a non Jews reading this forum might say "hey, maybe it's true..." So basically you are trying to hate on hareidi Jews and pretending that there is even a single one who allowed stealing- totally against halacha!!!

Offline Denverite

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 11:17:20 AM »
@Dan
Please remove @Denverite's post. Many of the points there are off mark and it will probably be quoted in an article that will be published soon, IMHO.
calling out an entire group of people most of whom are legitimately doing nothing wrong, is disgusting. Call out the thieves, don't blame the community. Yes, most people here are opportunists, not shady characters and no one here believes in stealing from non Jews, our coffee of law clearly prohibits that. Look up shulchan aruch. Stop spreading hate and giving legitimacy to mein kampf or protocols of the elders of Zion. Everyone here knows you're lying, but a non Jews reading this forum might say "hey, maybe it's true..." So basically you are trying to hate on hareidi Jews and pretending that there is even a single one who allowed stealing- totally against halacha!!!

Guys, I asked a question. @Dan can feel free to remove my post, especially if it will harm other Jews as that was never my intention. I truly hope that people won’t fall into this trap again, end of story.

I’m sorry if I used the word shady. It wasn’t consice and I didn’t mean to be deragatory. My point is that selling points is clearly against the terms of all credit cards. In order to do it, you need to hide it from the banks and very lovely great people seem to be totally comfortable with it and I honestly don’t understand how (hence my question about Halacha, culture, etc.).

I’m not naive about what goes on in DDF but I do try to stay away from all the threads about how to get around the rules the banks have set up because I so enjoy the trip reports and many other amazing things I’ve learned on here.

Offline Denverite

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 11:22:31 AM »
No.

I am willing to bet that many of the victims did NOT know that it’s against the t&c and are only finding this out now. If anything, the merchants used their Jewish/Chassidic background to lure unsuspecting Jewish/Chassidic victims into the scheme. It’s called affinity fraud and has been discussed in this thread.

Fair enough, many probably truly didn’t know. I appreciate your answer.  I know it may be unpopular, but then part of a holistic effort to prevent this type of horrible fraud in the future is having an open discussion and working to educate people about what financial Terms & Conditons of financial institutions are and the risks of breaking them in any form.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 11:24:53 AM »
My question is, do you think that certain attitudes of acceptance toward stealing and cheating non-Jews (ie, I know it’s against the bank rules but those rules of the goyim don’t really apply to us anyway) was also a large contributing factor

"[T]hose rules of the goyim don't really apply to us?" 

What on earth?  I'm not sure if that statement is meant to echo someone else (or another community entirely), or whether that "I" is meant to actually signify you talking, but even if what you're suggesting is accurate -- and it most certainly is not, see, at the very least, dina de-malchuta dina -- I would hope (and expect) that moral, law abiding, Jews were raised in such a way that they know, even inherently, that it not OK to steal, malign, trick, or cheat anyone, regardless of religion.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2019, 11:32:30 AM »
My point is that selling points is clearly against the terms of all credit cards. In order to do it, you need to hide it from the banks and very lovely great people seem to be totally comfortable with it and I honestly don’t understand how (hence my question about Halacha, culture, etc.).

You make a mistake (albeit one that is not uncommon): you conflate breach of contract with breach of the law.

Breaching a contract is not unlawful, it simply subjects you to whatever liability you contractually agreed to incur (whether expressly or otherwise).  By way of example, if I agree to sell you 100 widgets at $100 per piece, but then I find another buyer at $1,000 per piece, I can -- not unlawfully -- choose to not sell to you, with the knowledge and understanding that I am subjecting myself to certain liability to you (which will vary by contract).  I will not become a suspect in a criminal investigation simply because I decided to not sell to you.

In short, one can remain a "very lovely great" person even if they decide to breach a contract.

[This is not to be construed as legal advice, for which you should seek a competent attorney.]
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2019, 11:43:04 AM »
You make a mistake (albeit one that is not uncommon): you conflate breach of contract with breach of the law.

Breaching a contract is not unlawful, it simply subjects you to whatever liability you contractually agreed to incur (whether expressly or otherwise).  By way of example, if I agree to sell you 100 widgets at $100 per piece, but then I find another buyer at $1,000 per piece, I can -- not unlawfully -- choose to not sell to you, with the knowledge and understanding that I am subjecting myself to certain liability to you (which will vary by contract).  I will not become a suspect in a criminal investigation simply because I decided to not sell to you.

In short, one can remain a "very lovely great" person even if they decide to breach a contract.

[This is not to be construed as legal advice, for which you should seek a competent attorney.]

I would add that sometimes a breach of contract can also be a breach of law. For example, inflating income to get a higher credit limit would be a breach of contract and law at the same time.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2019, 11:49:29 AM »
I would add that sometimes a breach of contract can also be a breach of law. For example, inflating income to get a higher credit limit would be a breach of contract and law at the same time.

That’s not a breach of contract.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 11:54:29 AM »

That’s not a breach of contract.
+1

There’s no contract at that point.
-- Dan

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 12:05:28 PM »

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 12:14:47 PM »
I'll ask my question again. Who wants to take bets?

And my second question: will @Dan let people know their anonymity is compromised :)

To be clear, you want to bet that the feds will ask for the information, or that they will actually get the information?

https://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/legal_ref.aspx

Scroll down to the section titled "For the record - past litigation involving Investors Hub" and see how many subpoenas were sent to Investorshub for user information. They all lost.

By the way, Investorshub is a cesspool of people posting derogatory/false information about public companies that actually hurt their stock and reputation.

@Dan you should consider adding a privacy policy and legal reference in similar fashion.