Author Topic: Adding Financial Literacy Courses In Yeshivas  (Read 72558 times)

Online S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2019, 12:52:05 PM »
It is asinine to believe that the average person can learn everything they need to know about modern financial literacy from "proper" limud torah.

Hafach ba vehafach ba dekula va

The Gemara brings countless lessons in all areas of finance, responsibility, prudence and caution.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 12:57:20 PM by S209 »
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: Adding Financial Literacy Courses In Yeshivas
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »
It is asinine to believe that the average person can learn everything they need to know about modern financial literacy from "proper" limud torah.

Here's a challenge:

Take the following line out of the mishna: ודבר שאין עושה ואוכל, ימכר, שנאמר (דברים, כב) והשבותו לו, ראה היאך תשיבנו לו and ask the average person (whoever that may be) what ראה היאך תשיבנו לו means here. Let us know the results. We can then proceed to the next part of the Mishna of מה יהא בדמים?

Someone who can properly explain those concepts, has a very strong foundation for modern financial literacy - probably much more than most high school graduates. (And will probably be a step ahead of the class at Accounting 101)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 01:19:51 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2019, 01:05:07 PM »
Currency 101: from Avios to bitcoin 😂

ALOL.

And Skypesos in between....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 01:20:01 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2019, 02:07:57 PM »

The Gemara brings countless lessons in all areas of finance, responsibility, prudence and caution.

you missed his point

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2019, 02:18:46 PM »
Depends what you call proper.

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2019, 02:56:04 PM »

absolutely, however many current students in school haven't yet mastered some basic levels of common sense.
Ideally these basic skills are taught at home, however in an era where some children see their parents and/or friends glamorizing Pesach trips/hotels, the 'fancy' cars that people own, and allowing themselves to be enamored by leadership or role models based on how (religious) they dress or who their parents were, then we have a large job ahead of us regarding educating some basic fundamental skills of community trust, priorities, and moral literacy, overall...
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2019, 03:48:12 PM »
absolutely, however many current students in school haven't yet mastered some basic levels of common sense.
Ideally these basic skills are taught at home, however in an era where some children see their parents and/or friends glamorizing Pesach trips/hotels, the 'fancy' cars that people own, and allowing themselves to be enamored by leadership or role models based on how (religious) they dress or who their parents were, then we have a large job ahead of us regarding educating some basic fundamental skills of community trust, priorities, and moral literacy, overall...

Unfortunately, the task seems way too daunting. How can one teach common sense?
-- Dan

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2019, 04:07:59 PM »

Just like parents explicitly say their expectations of tznius, kashrut, etc, you can do it about financial things and the way things are done in your family, without being derogatory of others. 

My kids know I have a "hashkafah" about money, not ever paying with a credit card if I can't pay it off fully, choosing not to buy a new car until I can pay for it in full, etc.  Again, never demeaning others but explaining what we do and the comfort and freedom it provides us.

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2019, 04:08:40 PM »
Stop spoiling your kids - tell your kids "no"
Make your kids earn some money - these people that gave away their credit cards, socials clearly do not treasure the $ how can you in your right mind let someone swipe thousands of dollars under your name and pray that it'll get paid back? Did it not enter their minds that something can go wrong - and they'll be on the hook for all that $$? I don't think these people lack common sense as some are insinuating. These people clearly just lacked the value of a Dollar - so big deal let someone swipe I'll get points etc. . Money they may end up owing down the line clearly did not play any significant roll in their decision...

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »
Make your kids earn some money - these people that gave away their credit cards, socials clearly do not treasure the $ how can you in your right mind let someone swipe thousands of dollars under your name and pray that it'll get paid back? Did it not enter their minds that something can go wrong - and they'll be on the hook for all that $$? I don't think these people lack common sense as some are insinuating. These people clearly just lacked the value of a Dollar - so big deal let someone swipe I'll get points etc. . Money they may end up owing down the line clearly did not play any significant roll in their decision...
You, like many others in these threads lately, are making many assumptions.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2019, 04:20:04 PM »
So maybe teach them other things instead? Like math and finances for instance?
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline 4yourinfo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2019, 04:28:04 PM »
You, like many others in these threads lately, are making many assumptions.
You're right - pretty much everything being said including what   @Dan said that people need courses in finance is all assumptions - I'm not sure why you're only responding to me? I am saying what I know is hold me back from giving people my cc and line of credit to others and I believe if others would value money like I do they would also keep their CC for themselves..

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2019, 04:31:36 PM »
You're right - pretty much everything being said including what   @Dan said that people need courses in finance is all assumptions - I'm not sure why you're only responding to me? I am saying what I know is hold me back from giving people my cc and line of credit to others and I believe if others would value money like I do they would also keep their CC for themselves..
Again, you're making assumptions about how other people think, you're projecting your beliefs about the "correct" way to think about things on others.

Offline gozalim

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2019, 04:36:46 PM »
Also, financial literacy provides information to one to be able to live a proper life and includes many topics of doing things in a straight and honest way.  And many topics which should be important to oneself such as tzedakah, not doing illegal activities etc fall under financial literacy as well.    It's an especially important topic in a frum community where we choose to send our kids to private schools even though many can't really afford it.
FTFY

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2019, 04:52:40 PM »
So maybe teach them other things instead? Like math and finances for instance?
ALOL.

What are math and finances if not common sense?
-- Dan

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2019, 04:56:14 PM »
I would not equate math & finances in that regard.

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2019, 05:03:15 PM »

I doubt people thought they would be on the hook for the money. They either thought it would never happen to them or they can easily dispute the charges and get the money back. they probably value the dollar they just don't value hard work

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2019, 05:04:26 PM »
ALOL.

Clearly you don't know much math then. Aside from that, you said it's not possible to teach common sense, it is possible to teach math and finances though, so....

Offline 4yourinfo

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2019, 05:21:37 PM »
I doubt people thought they would be on the hook for the money. They either thought it would never happen to them or they can easily dispute the charges and get the money back. they probably value the dollar they just don't value hard work
That is exactly my point if you truly regard something you don't just overlook and say it won't happen, I can probably dispute it etc. you will make sure you're covered 100 percent.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2019, 05:24:34 PM »
Clearly you don't know much math then. Aside from that, you said it's not possible to teach common sense, it is possible to teach math and finances though, so....

Someone making assumptions here? Did I say it's not possible? I said it's daunting. Let me know how you do with your own kids...
-- Dan