Author Topic: Adding Financial Literacy Courses In Yeshivas  (Read 72585 times)

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2019, 05:31:38 PM »
Someone making assumptions here? Did I say it's not possible? I said it's daunting. Let me know how you do with your own kids...
You said "How can one teach common sense?" And then you said "What are math and finances if not common sense?" I was just pointing out the inherent contradiction.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2019, 05:46:20 PM »
You said "How can one teach common sense?" And then you said "What are math and finances if not common sense?" I was just pointing out the inherent contradiction.

So I guess you're pointing out that this is a case of הוא מתיב לה, והוא מפרק לה. Teach some Chumash and Mishnayos properly, and you've taught common sense.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
Re: Adding Financial Literacy Courses In Yeshivas
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2019, 05:49:02 PM »
So I guess you're pointing out that this is a case of הוא מתיב לה, והוא מפרק לה. Teach some Chumash and Mishnayos properly, and you've taught common sense.
I just don't think you'll be able to teach what kids need to know nowadays from chumash and mishnayos (or even gemara for that matter,) but I guess we can agree to disagree on that.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2019, 06:41:51 PM »
I just don't think you'll be able to teach what kids need to know nowadays from chumash and mishnayos (or even gemara for that matter,) but I guess we can agree to disagree on that.

Still waiting for you to respond to my challenge.

Here's a challenge:

Take the following line out of the mishna: ודבר שאין עושה ואוכל, ימכר, שנאמר (דברים, כב) והשבותו לו, ראה היאך תשיבנו לו and ask the average person (whoever that may be) what ראה היאך תשיבנו לו means here. Let us know the results. We can then proceed to the next part of the Mishna of מה יהא בדמים?

Someone who can properly explain those concepts, has a very strong foundation for modern financial literacy - probably much more than most high school graduates. (And will probably be a step ahead of the class at Accounting 101)
-- Dan

Offline AussieMan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2019, 07:10:19 PM »
ראה היאך תשיבנו לו - therefore sell it?
What about depreciation due to inflation?

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2019, 02:01:19 AM »
ראה היאך תשיבנו לו - therefore sell it?
What about depreciation due to inflation?
Was there a real risk of inflation back then?
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2019, 02:45:36 PM »
Was there a real risk of inflation back then?
Sure. See the entire Perek Hazahav. Also, the countless times throughout the Gemara where it discusses fluctuating currency values, method of payments, etc.
I STRONGLY disagree. May I suggest there are possibly Gemaros and Halachos you haven’t yet covered properly?

@aygart, as our resident posek, do you agree that there are lessons about modern day finances that cannot be gleaned from proper Torah study? I don’t consider this a Choshen Mishpat shayla ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 02:54:18 PM by S209 »
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2019, 02:51:59 PM »
If it's true, as people have mentioned up thread, that kids don't know how to write checks, then please explain to me where in the Torah it explains how to do that. And yes, @S209 I've been through the entire choshen mishpat.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2019, 02:55:50 PM »
If it's true, as people have mentioned up thread, that kids don't know how to write checks, then please explain to me where in the Torah it explains how to do that. And yes, @S209 I've been through the entire choshen mishpat.
You are right about check-writing. But that is hardly grounds for a course, or even a teacher’s responsibility. Also, check-writing will soon be a thing of the past.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2019, 02:57:32 PM »
And you don’t feel that practical modern day personal finance is comprehensively covered?

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2019, 03:00:35 PM »
You are right about check-writing. But that is hardly grounds for a course, or even a teacher’s responsibility. Also, check-writing will soon be a thing of the past.
That was just one example, not my basis for having a method of teaching people about fiscal responsibility.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2019, 03:06:14 PM »
How about transferring funds between checking accounts online?

Using an excel doc?

CC vs debit card options now?

Using programs like mint?

You said everything and he gave an example that you agree is not covered, so clearly you concede your point of everything.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline AussieMan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2019, 03:07:27 PM »
Torah doesn't teach math or Financial Literacy, but you definitely need working knowledge of these subjects to understand any parts of Torah.
As such, even a school which doesn't want to teach "Choil" can include these important concepts as part of their Jewish studies.
(@ExGingi - this is similar but not exactly the same as heilike numerin, where you are using Torah as a platform for teaching math).

Parsha/Divrei Torah can be used as a platform to teach public speaking, how to say a Sicha at a Shabbos meal, etc.
A lot really depends on the teacher creativity and the student desire to learn life skills.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2019, 03:13:37 PM »
And you don’t feel that practical modern day personal finance is comprehensively covered?
No. By the time someone would have a good enough understanding of halacha and Torah to be able to apply that to the modern day fiscal world, he would be past the point where he would have needed the information. Especially with the way yeshivos are now where most of the learning is abstract, and most of the emphasis is not on halacha, it's hard to take the concepts that you learn and apply them to your everyday life. I'm not saying we shouldn't be better in how we teach Torah and halacha, I'm saying that it's our responsibility to set kids up to succeed in the modern world. We need to give kids a solid foundation in emuna, Torah, halacha, etc, and also teach them how to succeed in the modern financial world. I don't understand why people have such a strong aversion to the idea of teaching a fiscal responsibility course. Is it because it will take away time from limud Torah? You think Hashem would rather the kid learn during that short amount of time but then put his whole family into debt for years because he doesn't understand how anything works?
Besides, even if you're right that everything can be gained from proper limud Torah, clearly the way our system is right now, we're not doing it correctly. What would be easier, setting up financial literacy courses in schools or completely overhauling our entire way of limud Torah? It's as if you'd all rather have kids continue to grow up financially clueless than have teach them anything about the world that doesn't come from a mishna. We have a problem in our community, the amount of linud torah being done today isn't it, it's our inability to mesh torah judiasm with the modern world in the correct way.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2019, 03:18:01 PM »

Since when is knowing how to write checks part of financial literacy? That's a technical skill.

However, knowing what a check is, is definitely financial literacy. And I would argue that anyone who learned Yeshivishe Masechtos would have a much better grasp of what a check is, than any high-school graduate that took a course in financial literacy.
-- Dan

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2019, 03:18:58 PM »
Since when is knowing how to write checks part of financial literacy? That's a technical skill.

However, knowing what a check is, is definitely financial literacy. And I would argue that anyone who learned Yeshivishe Masechtos would have a much better grasp of what a check is, than any high-school graduate that took a course in financial literacy.
That doesn't matter, clearly it hadn't helped has it?

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2019, 03:29:06 PM »
Sure. See the entire Perek Hazahav. Also, the countless times throughout the Gemara where it discusses fluctuating currency values, method of payments, etc.I STRONGLY disagree. May I suggest there are possibly Gemaros and Halachos you haven’t yet covered properly?

@aygart, as our resident posek, do you agree that there are lessons about modern day finances that cannot be gleaned from proper Torah study? I don’t consider this a Choshen Mishpat shayla ;)
I distinguish between cannot and are not. It is unlikely that a typical high school kid will get enough from his Torah studies alone. Bringing the abstract to a practical discussion (per @mmgfarb ) that would be a reason to make sure that they do learn it on some level.

Using Torah as a springboard to teach it is a questionable practice since it is somewhat against רבי צדוק אומר, אל תעשם עטרה להתגדל בהם, ולא קרדום לחפור בהם
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2019, 03:36:16 PM »
I distinguish between cannot and are not. It is unlikely that a typical high school kid will get enough from his Torah studies alone.
Exactly, thank you.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2019, 03:39:33 PM »
Exactly, thank you.
To be clear though, my kids do not learn this in yeshiva. They learn it at home very regularly. I would be concerned over them teaching it in yeshiva for a number of reasons. Foremost among them that I would have no way of knowing if the teacher is adequately literate.
Either way, part of financial literacy is understanding that people need likes to feed their kids.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2019, 03:45:08 PM »
To be clear though, my kids do not learn this in yeshiva. They learn it at home very regularly. I would be concerned over them teaching it in yeshiva for a number of reasons. Foremost among them that I would have no way of knowing if the teacher is adequately literate.
Either way, part of financial literacy is understanding that people need likes to feed their kids.

That's why someone has to create an approved financial literacy course for yeshivas. Maybe a DD Agudah course :)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)