Author Topic: Adding Financial Literacy Courses In Yeshivas  (Read 72573 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: Adding Financial Literacy Courses In Yeshivas
« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2019, 11:47:29 PM »
Oh, I didn't mean that you'll get that out of a secular education, just that most people don't get it out of a jewish education either.

Which is why I brought it up in the first place as something that should be incorporated into Jewish education.

On a separate note, and somewhat tying into language skills, I proposed to a few Menahalim that a curriculum of Jewish Stories (preferably in Hebrew/Yiddish, but obviously it depends on the school) be incorporated into the schedule. The main benefit of the stories is to increase אהבת השם, אהבת התורה and יראת שמים, but a side benefit would be increased vocabulary and language skills.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #201 on: March 11, 2019, 11:48:50 PM »
My father never let me read a d'var torah at the Shabbos table from a sheet we brought home. Read it a few times and then give it over in your own words.
Was good advice.
Indeed. I'm always impressed when I watch my Oholei Torah'nik nephews translate their divrei Torah into English and give them over without hesitations or pauses.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2019, 11:56:08 PM »
Indeed. I'm always impressed when I watch my Oholei Torah'nik nephews translate their divrei Torah into English and give them over without hesitations or pauses.
Oh, if only @mmgfarb and others would know the lyrics to the Oholei Torah song  ;D
-- Dan

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2019, 12:11:51 AM »
Anyway, I just feel this whole "Yeshivahs need to teach public speaking" is just so inane, what with public speaking being one of the most despised tasks by all of humanity. (k'yodua the joke about it being the #1 fear).

I had to make a speech a few hours ago and I still have knots in my stomach. Maybe I should revisit this topic in a couple of days when my nerves are back to normal.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2019, 12:20:22 AM »
Oh, if only @mmgfarb and others would know the lyrics to the Oholei Torah song  ;D
I guess I'll count myself lucky
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline 12HRS

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2019, 12:44:22 AM »
Which is why I brought it up in the first place as something that should be incorporated into Jewish education.

I really do not understand the need for public speaking to be part of curriculum. Communication skills perhaps?

My father never let me read a d'var torah at the Shabbos table from a sheet we brought home. Read it a few times and then give it over in your own words.
Was good advice.

Same, aside from the speaking benefits I also found it helped me know what I was saying vs just reading the words.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2019, 10:51:14 AM »
Anyway, I just feel this whole "Yeshivahs need to teach public speaking" is just so inane, what with public speaking being one of the most despised tasks by all of humanity. (k'yodua the joke about it being the #1 fear).

I had to make a speech a few hours ago and I still have knots in my stomach. Maybe I should revisit this topic in a couple of days when my nerves are back to normal.
Public speaking is not the point. Communication is.
I really do not understand the need for public speaking to be part of curriculum. Communication skills perhaps?
this.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2019, 10:57:03 AM »
Public speaking is not the point. Communication is.this.

When one practices public speaking, one becomes much better at communications at all levels.
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #208 on: March 12, 2019, 11:08:19 AM »
When one practices public speaking, one becomes much better at communications at all levels.
Even so,
Public speaking is not the point. Communication is.this.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 12, 2019, 11:27:29 AM »
Eh, I think communication skills come first and are more important on a day to day level in all aspects of life. Most people can get away with not being the best public speakers if they know how to communicate information well.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 12, 2019, 11:43:45 AM »
Eh, I think communication skills come first and are more important on a day to day level in all aspects of life. Most people can get away with not being the best public speakers if they know how to communicate information well.

Are you talking from experience? Did you ever practice (even informally) public speaking? There's a lot to be gained from something like https://www.toastmasters.org/
-- Dan

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 12, 2019, 11:52:27 AM »
It never was taught until after the war and even then it was a big chidush. I believe R' Moshe was matir among others due to the law necessitating it. But I'm not sure that was the reason.
When talking about why his mesivta has english, R' Reuven Feinstein says it's better to learn english than to learn to waste time.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Yitzshpitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 12, 2019, 11:53:51 AM »
Are you talking from experience? Did you ever practice (even informally) public speaking? There's a lot to be gained from something like https://www.toastmasters.org/

There is certainly what to gain through public speaking but its not the solution by itself to deal with the core issue which is a literacy/communication/expression issue. Kids struggle with reading, writing and speaking articulately. Not necessarily in a public setting but even communicating in private or casually. Many kids or young adults who act out or are outcasts are often just lacking communication skills necessary for them to express themselves properly and be successful.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2019, 11:57:02 AM »
There is certainly what to gain through public speaking but its not the solution by itself to deal with the core issue which is a literacy/communication/expression issue. Kids struggle with reading, writing and speaking articulately. Not necessarily in a public setting but even communicating in private or casually. Many kids or young adults who act out or are outcasts are often just lacking communication skills necessary for them to express themselves properly and be successful.

You are right. And a combination of
On a separate note, and somewhat tying into language skills, I proposed to a few Menahalim that a curriculum of Jewish Stories (preferably in Hebrew/Yiddish, but obviously it depends on the school) be incorporated into the schedule. The main benefit of the stories is to increase אהבת השם, אהבת התורה and יראת שמים, but a side benefit would be increased vocabulary and language skills.

along with something along the lines of Toastmasters will give ALL children important life and literacy/communication/expression skills.
-- Dan

Offline Yitzshpitz

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2019, 12:12:01 PM »
When talking about why his mesivta has english, R' Reuven Feinstein says it's better to learn english than to learn to waste time.

I am not being facetious- I honestly do not understand this. Why is the alternative to learning English learning to waste time?

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2019, 12:15:21 PM »
I am not being facetious- I honestly do not understand this. Why is the alternative to learning English learning to waste time?
Mishnayos Avos.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2019, 12:20:23 PM »
My understanding is that when you try to tell a 9th grader to learn all day, he's going to be coming up with very "important" things to do other than learn. You also need to have longer bein hasedarim.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2019, 01:05:21 PM »
Yes

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2019, 01:07:37 PM »
My understanding is that when you try to tell a 9th grader to learn all day, he's going to be coming up with very "important" things to do other than learn. You also need to have longer bein hasedarim.
+1 the amount of time that is wasted, especially in mesivta, in the name of learning is astounding. That's not to say there aren't places where the majority of guys are really learning most of the day, just that there are a lot of places where they aren't.

Offline YesThatsMe

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2019, 01:31:31 PM »

Yes this is a huge American problem. In Europe, Yeshivah doesn't begin until a boy is 16 or 17, equivalent of 11th or 12th grade. Until then they stay in Grammar school and get a proper education. Americans stick 13-14 year olds in Mesivta's which is a disaster.