Poll

Is it really possible to say every word in the tiffilah in the amount of time they do it?

Yes
No,impossible.
Every other word.
Thats why I daven nusach askenaz.
I end up skipping it because I would be the last one in the shul.

Author Topic: Kavey El Hashem-Ein Keloykeinu.How come in every shul i'm always falling behind?  (Read 19466 times)

Offline miles lover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
This is not about the speed of davening...
Then what is it about ? Whenever I daven in yeshiva I can finish tachnun. When I daven in a shtiebel, I can never finish it. ( I daven askenaz and the minyan davens nusach sefard, which is significantly shorter tachnun so I really can’t finish it. I finish it between aliyos or after davening )

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
Same with the end of selichos, somehow the chazzan can rip through like 6 solid pages.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Same with the end of selichos, somehow the chazzan can rip through like 6 solid pages.
Kefitzas Haderech.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
Kefitzas Haderech.

Sshhh not everyone here knows you're a malach

Offline sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
For me, it's Brich Shmei if they want me to do psicha - is it possible to do psicha and still say it?

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Same with the end of selichos, somehow the chazzan can rip through like 6 solid pages of poetic liturgy.
FTFY
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
I have the opposite problem of all of you! So stop complaining

Offline ~King Lake~

• View Profile
I have the opposite problem of all of you! So stop complaining
you should be happy with that and shouldn't make the other ones feel like fools because of that
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline yoelkon

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I would call myself an average baal tefillah and I try to be fair and let people catch up after Krias shema, I find that there are 3 groups of people that daven in a minyan 1) from beginning till after shmonei esrei, 2) borchu till aleinu, and finally 3) those that are there for the full program. Yet, once I am ready to start shmonei esrei I have to wait for 10. I've had a guy walk in late and berate me for going too quick, I stepped aside and gave him the floor. That guy didn't like it but had no choice. I've got plenty of stories, from broches to Reb yishmoel in under 2min - I don't know how that's done yet.

Offline stooges44

• View Profile
I would call myself an average baal tefillah and I try to be fair and let people catch up after Krias shema, I find that there are 3 groups of people that daven in a minyan 1) from beginning till after shmonei esrei, 2) borchu till aleinu, and finally 3) those that are there for the full program. Yet, once I am ready to start shmonei esrei I have to wait for 10. I've had a guy walk in late and berate me for going too quick, I stepped aside and gave him the floor. That guy didn't like it but had no choice. I've got plenty of stories, from broches to Reb yishmoel in under 2min - I don't know how that's done yet.

Good for you!

Offline ben89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 142
    • View Profile
How about במה מדליקין?

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Last nights Aleinu was super slow

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

I don’t thing everyone says everything at the end of slichos. I pick and chose the ones that I connect with making sure to leave in the aval anachnu... and ashamnu which are the ikar. Not much point in saying all of the aleph beis acrostics just to turn the pages and move my lips. טוב מעט בכוונה.

Offline ~King Lake~

• View Profile
I don’t thing everyone says everything at the end of slichos. I pick and chose the ones that I connect with making sure to leave in the aval anachnu... and ashamnu which are the ikar. Not much point in saying all of the aleph beis acrostics just to turn the pages and move my lips. טוב מעט בכוונה.
Not true as it is mekubel by us that this paragraphs with the alef beis is the most important part of the selichos!!
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
How about במה מדליקין?
I can count how many times I've said bameh madlikin in the friday night davening.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
And you admit to it? Btw, some people specifically do not say ashamnu more than once. But I definitely never heard of anyone lekatchila skipping pieces. Maybe you should consider davening with a slower minyan. After learning Mateh Efraim and associated Perushim I don't think you would want to intentionally skip any parts of Selichos.

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
And you admit to it? Btw, some people specifically do not say ashamnu more than once. But I definitely never heard of anyone lekatchila skipping pieces. Maybe you should consider davening with a slower minyan. After learning Mateh Efraim and associated Perushim I don't think you would want to intentionally skip any parts of Selichos.
טוב מעט בכוונה.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile

See the sources I quoted, and the option provided...

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

I admit it. See attached. I also plead guilty to skipping some of the kinnos (from the ones not written by Rav Elazar Hakalir) such as some of the ציון ones if I find that one or more of the kinnos connects with me particularly , and I want to take it slow because that kinnah brings out emotions of the churban and galus. I find that preferable to rattling off all of the kinnos just to have gone through all of them. (The maharil did not say all of the kinnos).

By the avoda of Yom Kippur I had a hard time with the אמיץ כח piyyut. The language is difficult (along with some of the phrases such as והפר צווי כפתי) so I say the sefard version that is clear and allows me to understand and connect to  what I am saying.

I think that many of us are just not willing to admit that we need work on our davening. In the fairly yeshivishe place where I daven on shabbos the reason the guys are running for the seforim the moment they come in, and spend much of davening learning, is not because they simply can’t  tear themselves away from learning; its because davening is difficult for them and it’s easier to learn half the time.

We have to be honest that many of us are not where we want to be when it comes to davening. So we rattle off yotzros. And vehu rachum. And selichos. And countless other tefillos. Ideally we should all learn the beauty of davening and join super slow minyanim that allow us to say every word leisurely. But is that realistic? Two and a half hour shacharis on a Monday-Thursday of assures yimei teshuva anyone? (There actually isn’t physically enough time between sunrise and tzeis on Yom Kippur to slowly say all of the davening and piyyutim that many Kehillos say.) But that’s not the reality. We can select some parts to have more כוונה or we can resign ourselves to rattling off everything hoping it counts for having said it. I don’t think the latter is what we are meant to do. Obviously slower and more כוונה is the ideal we should all strive for, but don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good...

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 12:25:32 AM by cmey »