Poll

Is it really possible to say every word in the tiffilah in the amount of time they do it?

Yes
No,impossible.
Every other word.
Thats why I daven nusach askenaz.
I end up skipping it because I would be the last one in the shul.

Author Topic: Kavey El Hashem-Ein Keloykeinu.How come in every shul i'm always falling behind?  (Read 19839 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
This is my selichos struggle

https://twitter.com/Squilled/status/1175645638962405376

This is something that is never taught and should not be taught. The reason is that you should appreciate the importance of מסורה and not think that everything can be self taught by reading.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Now that we're on the topic, one thing I noticed is that most baal tefillos don't know that the pizmon every day has a different tune. Another thing I noticed is that most shuls (in Lakewood) don't open the Aron for the Pizmon and Shma Koleinu. Anyone has any input in this?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 11:24:36 AM by yelped »

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
Now that we're on the topic, one thing I noticed is that most baal tefillos don't know that the pizmon every day has a different tune. Another thing I noticed is that most shuls don't open the Aron for the Pizmon and Shma Koleinu. Anyone has any input in this?

I've never seen a shul that doesn't open for shema koleinu. I've only seen one shul that opens for the pizmon and I thought it was bizarre because I'd never seen that before.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline tzifanya54

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Now that we're on the topic, one thing I noticed is that most baal tefillos don't know that the pizmon every day has a different tune. Another thing I noticed is that most shuls don't open the Aron for the Pizmon and Shma Koleinu. Anyone has any input in this?
Minhag Hayeshivos is usually not to open.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
This is something that is never taught and should not be taught. The reason is that you should appreciate the importance of מסורה and not think that everything can be self taught by reading.

When I wrote that, I thought, "if I posted this to DDF, ExGingi would definitely have an krumeh drei about why no one should have a clue where the minyan is up to."

Offline yelped

• View Profile
Minhag Hayeshivos is usually not to open.
Which kehila is minhag "hayeshivos" based off?

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
When I wrote that, I thought, "if I posted this to DDF, ExGingi would definitely have an krumeh drei about why no one should have a clue where the minyan is up to."

Would you rather: a. know where the minyan is up to and realize you are far behind, or b. know where the minyan is up to and lose patience with the excruciatingly slow chazzan?
-- Dan

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Would you rather: a. know where the minyan is up to and realize you are far behind, or b. know where the minyan is up to and lose patience with the excruciatingly slow chazzan?
Definitely A

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled

A.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Which kehila is minhag "hayeshivos" based off?
BMG when discussing Lakewood and the yeshivos started by its talmidim
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yelped

• View Profile
BMG
Thanks. Which kehila is BMG based off? Also, do you have any insights in the other question in my post?

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
A.

So there you have it. You are behind, and you don't need to wait for the Chazan.
-- Dan

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
So there you have it. You are behind, and you don't need to wait for the Chazan.

Or, and bear with me here, I could know where the chazan is up to AND also be at the same place! Imagine that

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
Or, and bear with me here, I could know where the chazan is up to AND also be at the same place! Imagine that

Unheard of!
-- Dan

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled

Let me guess, you also think the "new" machzorim that explain how the tefillos on R"H and Y"K are recited with the chazan (in English noch!) are an abomination?

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Thanks. Which kehila is BMG based off? Also, do you have any insights in the other question in my post?
BMG is based off Kletzk.

Do you mean a different tune for each pizmon? I am not sure that you are correct about that in the first place at least for all nuschaos. As a bochur in yeshiva there was someone who went through each day's slichos with whomever was going to daven for the amud the next day and I am pretty certain that they used at least just about the same nusach for just about each day's pizmon, but this is something I am uncertain about and do not know enough about to give a knowledgable answer.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yelped

• View Profile
BMG is based off Kletzk.

Do you mean a different tune for each pizmon? I am not sure that you are correct about that in the first place at least for all nuschaos. As a bochur in yeshiva there was someone who went through each day's slichos with whomever was going to daven for the amud the next day and I am pretty certain that they used at least just about the same nusach for just about each day's pizmon, but this is something I am uncertain about and do not know enough about to give a knowledgable answer.
Thank you for your insight. So neither of us has any real info besides experiences. I'll try to find out more. Yes, I mean a different tune for each pizmon. It's usually for the first stanza. The rest usually goes to the regular nusach, depending on the piyot.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
Let me guess, you also think the "new" machzorim that explain how the tefillos on R"H and Y"K are recited with the chazan (in English noch!) are an abomination?

I don't think the concept is an abomination, but I think parts of the implementation are. I tried using one of those one year and got all mixed up. If one cannot have davening flow easily in them without stopping to read the English instructions, that's a bad implementation.
-- Dan

Offline yelped

• View Profile
Thank you for your insight. So neither of us has any real info besides experiences. I'll try to find out more. Yes, I mean a different tune for each pizmon. It's usually for the first stanza. The rest usually goes to the regular nusach, depending on the piyot.
Confirmed with a few people that I'm not imagining things. That is as far as they know the correct nusach.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Confirmed with a few people that I'm not imagining things. That is as far as they know the correct nusach.
There's no such thing as 'correct nusach'. Maybe you mean that you've davened in places where the official nusach is that each pizmon has its own 'tune'. I personally have never been in a place where each day had a different tune - unless maybe they're only subtly different and I didn't notice.