Author Topic: Airline's Entire Profit Margin From Mileage Sales?  (Read 11017 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 01:58:31 PM »
Price rises won’t stick due to competition. If everyone was forced to come up with additional revenue they would, much what happens when fuel prices rise...
You're ignoring that prices are low due to Frontier and Spirit, which don't make significant money on selling miles.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 02:09:07 PM »
Price rises won’t stick due to competition. If everyone was forced to come up with additional revenue they would, much what happens when fuel prices rise...
Do I understand your argument correctly?

"You can't say that the airlines make their profit primarily from selling miles because if they weren't making their profit from selling miles they would raise their prices to make a profit."

Is that the gist of it?

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 03:26:30 PM »
Do I understand your argument correctly?

"You can't say that the airlines make their profit primarily from selling miles because if they weren't making their profit from selling miles they would raise their prices to make a profit."

Is that the gist of it?

There are hundreds of components to the airlines’ bottom lines of which miles selling is only a tiny component so I guess I would tweak what I said a bit. You can say that airlines profit margins are entirely composed of “x” , “x” being any revenue item or cost savings out of the hundreds of contributory items. Potentially if under pressure from losing any one item, airlines could try anything from raising prices to renegotiating airport fees or dozens of other cost or revenue line items. I get what Dan is saying but I’m not sure how that would play out since in the end of the day spirit and frontier are a fraction of the total capacity and certainly don’t figure in the international scene. I get that it’s not a perfect analogy but I still think that if push can to shove it would work out largely the same as the milk distributors losing the orange juice route.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 03:28:46 PM »
Your claims of being to raise revenue from other routes simply doesn't hold water.

On international routes there are other airlines, like WOW, Norwegian, and even El Al, that make small potatoes if anything off of mileage revenue. There wouldn't be some magical way to raise fares without the competition eating their lunch.

If there are other ways of maximizing profits today, they'd be doing it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline cmey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 03:31:27 PM »
Your claims of being to raise revenue from other routes simply doesn't hold water.

On international routes there are other airlines, like WOW, Norwegian, and even El Al, that make small potatoes if anything off of mileage revenue. There wouldn't be some magical way to raise fares without the competition eating their lunch.

Isn’t it a lot easier to get a collective fee increase to stick or to make  a convincing case to renegotiate a union contract or an airport fee if all the big airlines are losing money?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 03:34:07 PM »
Isn’t it a lot easier to get a collective fee increase to stick or to make  a convincing case to renegotiate a union contract or an airport fee if you are all collectively losing money?
You keep saying all collectively, but there are only a few airlines that are making a true killing off mileage sales.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 03:35:08 PM »
+1000 that's the main point here.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Airline's Entire Profit Margin From Mileage Sales?
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 03:35:39 PM »

Do they record the outstanding mileage at a lower price than they sold it, recognizing an immediate profit, or do they only recognize the profit once the miles are used/expired?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:04:25 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline cmey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 03:55:23 PM »
+1000 that's the main point here.

I guess we don’t see eye to eye on that one. Can we agree that the statement “their entire profit margin comes from miles” could just as easily be said about numerous other revenue or expense items on the airlines books as well?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 03:58:05 PM »
I guess we don’t see eye to eye on that one. Can we agree that the statement “their entire profit margin comes from miles” could just as easily be said about numerous other revenue or expense items on the airlines books as well?
Nope.
Everything else is a traditional cost or profit of doing business.
Miles are something that were not intended to be a profit center, but became one and could not be replaced. It also allows them to dump practically zero cost inventory that was spoiling before and recognize those revenues on the books.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 04:12:10 PM »
Do they record the outstanding mileage at a lower price than they sold it, recognizing an immediate profit, or do they only recognize the profit once the miles are used/expired?
Very important point. I don't really understand the whole discussion because of this.

They report revenue up front (with a liability offset), so all they are doing essentially is selling tickets to Citi instead of directly to pax. So all this is really is a agressivly sales technique.. Not sure how this is a material change in how they make money. It's not even a separate business model, and doesn't have different margins/prices/loads etc

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 04:16:12 PM »

Nope.
Everything else is a traditional cost or profit of doing business.
Miles are something that were not intended to be a profit center, but became one and could not be replaced. It also allows them to dump practically zero cost inventory that was spoiling before and recognize those revenues on the books.

If you are correct that they wouldn't be able to sell this inventory otherwise, then I can accept that this is a major profit driver.

In other words, though it appears to be only a top line item, it's really about selling spoiled inventory, which is an expense reduction as well...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 04:20:31 PM »

If you are correct that they wouldn't be able to sell this inventory otherwise, then I can accept that this is a major profit driver.

In other words, though it appears to be only a top line item, it's really about selling spoiled inventory, which is an expense reduction as well...
Just try to find a a business saver award on DL or UA to TLV. These go out full, so they don't open them up for saver awards except for the rare cases where inventory management decides that there would be spoilage.

Same reason why CX and LH open premium space close-in.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 04:20:34 PM »
Very important point. I don't really understand the whole discussion because of this.

They report revenue up front (with a liability offset), so all they are doing essentially is selling tickets to Citi instead of directly to pax. So all this is really is a agressivly sales technique.. Not sure how this is a material change in how they make money. It's not even a separate business model, and doesn't have different margins/prices/loads etc
They aren't selling tickets, they are selling an expiring currency of which they control the value. So they can use whatever creative formula they want for the liability. And upon redemption (other than partner redemption - which I would love to find out how those are accounted for) they erase the liability and recognize a small operating expense not directly related to the liability.
-- Dan

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 05:36:54 PM »
Just try to find a a business saver award on DL or UA to TLV. These go out full, so they don't open them up for saver awards except for the rare cases where inventory management decides that there would be spoilage.

Same reason why CX and LH open premium space close-in.
I'm guessing this is only true to an extent (an acceptable one to the airlines I'm sure), as there are pax that would've paid cash if not for mileage availability.
They aren't selling tickets, they are selling an expiring currency of which they control the value. So they can use whatever creative formula they want for the liability. And upon redemption (other than partner redemption - which I would love to find out how those are accounted for) they erase the liability and recognize a small operating expense not directly related to the liability.
Not to mention expiring miles that's pure income.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2019, 05:38:36 PM »
According to my calculations
Can we have the formula please? (and while you're at it, tell us what the airlines pay each other for partner awards).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:04:13 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2019, 05:45:39 PM »
and while you're at it, tell us what the airlines pay each other for partner awards.
@EJB

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2019, 05:51:58 PM »
@EJB

I have no idea what you’re talking about  ;D

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2019, 05:56:39 PM »
I have no idea what you’re talking about  ;D
Booo milts
How long is that NDA for anyway?

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2019, 05:57:31 PM »
I'm guessing this is only true to an extent (an acceptable one to the airlines I'm sure), as there are pax that would've paid cash if not for mileage availability.Not to mention expiring miles that's pure income.

I haven't read the entire discussion, but read any of the numerous articles online about ASC 606 and how it impacts points accounting by airlines.