Author Topic: Over The Top Purim Parties  (Read 34365 times)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Over The Top Purim Parties
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2019, 05:15:41 PM »
It seems safer to assume self image is involved rather then not.

Self images can be of all shapes and sizes. The Environmentalist or the guy that tries new things, or the guy that enjoys an awesome new car... Point is self image plays into everything.

Not sure what test driving a tesla has to do with anything here.

( I really care about the other conversation, I am just commenting here because you are in the thread related to purim parties...)
The fact that I probably never tried out a Tesla does not preclude me from stating an opinion.

Let's say you had two choices: A Camry or a Tesla. Let's say, for argument's sake, that the cost was pretty similar.

Granted there are good reasons to opt for Tesla over the Camry. One of them is performance. Another one is fun.

Do you honestly believe that image is not a factor in most cases?

Even Tesla would disagree with you.

Ridiculous. If you buy anything it is about self image, when you build a sukka it is about self image, where you send your kids to school, where you eat out, the clothes you wear and the house you live in.

In that case I agree. Every single thing you have ever done in your life is for self image.

Next.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2019, 05:17:24 PM »
Or it does bother him but he is not bothered by the rabbonim not "banning" it.

Is "banning" in quotes to indicate that rabbonim are not capable of banning wild parties because people won't listen anyhow? Or are you saying that they can't ban anything in the first place?

A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
I don't give a damn what you or anyone else does, that's the difference, I'm only saying what will be more effective than complaining about other people, focus on the things in your control rather than on the things outside of your control.

Having control over something is not the barrier for being something to be "my business". Nonetheless when the community speaks out they exert much control (influence) over others and their wealth.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2019, 05:20:43 PM »
Ridiculous. If you buy anything it is about self image, when you build a sukka it is about self image, where you send your kids to school, where you eat out, the clothes you wear and the house you live in.

In that case I agree. Every single thing you have ever done in your life is for self image.

Next.

Oh please. You got to be kidding me. I think it is obvious that we are talking about inappropriate image.

Yes, wearing clothing is about image. Good image. Self-respect.
Then there is another type of image. Let me think....let's say someone spends 5k on a suit. Do you view that form of image the same way as wearing, say, a Brooks Brothers suit?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2019, 05:27:28 PM »
Oh please. You got to be kidding me. I think it is obvious that we are talking about inappropriate image.

Yes, wearing clothing is about image. Good image. Self-respect.
Then there is another type of image. Let me think....let's say someone spends 5k on a suit. Do you view that form of image the same way as wearing, say, a Brooks Brothers suit?
So we are assuming a tesla is inappropriate.

And a spending 10x the price on a suit is the same as spending the same money on a car you enjoy more. Ok then...

I'm sorry but as said from the start this really doesn't deserve a serious reply. You don't know what someone's reasons are.

And implying a $5,000 suit instead of a $500, is the same as a $30,000 car instead of a $30,000 is ridiculous. If you want to talk about a $300,000 Ferrari you may have a point to make.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2019, 05:30:06 PM »
To all the complainers out there let’s try this: you spend multiples of what you spent on yourself for purim to sponsor kollel yungerleit and then you can kvetch about others. Deal?

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2019, 05:39:57 PM »
So we are assuming a tesla is inappropriate.

And a spending 10x the price on a suit is the same as spending the same money on a car you enjoy more. Ok then...

I'm sorry but as said from the start this really doesn't deserve a serious reply. You don't know what someone's reasons are.

And implying a $5,000 suit instead of a $500, is the same as a $30,000 car instead of a $30,000 is ridiculous. If you want to talk about a $300,000 Ferrari you may have a point to make.

Note: I wrote "inappropriate image" not "inappropriate". Not qualifying what inappropriate means leads to things never intended. We are talking about image. I wrote specifically about inappropriate or unhealthy image.

Anyway, you agree about a 300k Ferrari. So it's just a question about where to draw the line.

I assert that for most "regular" people a Tesla or a $5000 suit is partially about unhealthy image, as did someone upthread. Feel free to disagree. 

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2019, 05:42:11 PM »
To all the complainers out there let’s try this: you spend multiples of what you spent on yourself for purim to sponsor kollel yungerleit and then you can kvetch about others. Deal?

One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2019, 05:43:07 PM »
Note: I wrote "inappropriate image" not "inappropriate". Not qualifying what inappropriate means leads to things never intended. We are talking about image. I wrote specifically about inappropriate or unhealthy image.

Anyway, you agree about a 300k Ferrari. So it's just a question about where to draw the line.

I assert that for most "regular" people a Tesla or a $5000 suit is partially about unhealthy image, as did someone upthread. Feel free to disagree. 

I'm with JJ here. This is so dumb it does not merit a response.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2019, 05:45:34 PM »
I'm with JJ here. This is so dumb it does not merit a response.

Is that an attempt to get out of discussing the finer details of the argument?
I don't see why a discussion on what forms of spending are healthy is any dumber than a million discussions on this amazing forum.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2019, 05:48:34 PM »
Is that an attempt to get out of discussing the finer details of the argument?
I don't see why a discussion on what forms of spending are healthy is any dumber than a million discussions on this amazing forum.

The only fine details I am seeing in anything you are writing is that you are very jealous. Of the three items which are motzi'in es ho'odom min haolam jealosy is first. Kovod is third.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2019, 05:50:13 PM »
The only fine details I am seeing in anything you are writing is that you are very jealous. Of the three items which are motzi'in es ho'odom min haolam jealosy is first. Kovod is third.

I am simply continuing a discussion I find interesting and attempting to argue my position.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2019, 05:51:18 PM »
Is "banning" in quotes to indicate that rabbonim are not capable of banning wild parties because people won't listen anyhow? Or are you saying that they can't ban anything in the first place?

And by the way, you put the word banning in quotes. Could you explain?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2019, 06:20:29 PM »
Jealousy so strong that it blinds common sense R"L.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2019, 06:21:22 PM »
Having control over something is not the barrier for being something to be "my business". Nonetheless when the community speaks out they exert much control (influence) over others and their wealth.
Yea yea, gives your money for my all important moisid. Oh also let me tell you how you should and shouldn't spend the rest of your money.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2019, 06:21:33 PM »
Jealousy so strong that it blinds common sense R"L.
As do the other two

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2019, 06:49:08 PM »
As do the other two

100%. And to the point of this thread, throwing a retardedly expensive Purim party with singers, bands, waiters, expensive booze, bouncers, etc. is a glorious example of kavod seeking that causes kinah and taavah. What a colossal shame.

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2019, 06:55:27 PM »
100%. And to the point of this thread, throwing a retardedly expensive Purim party with singers, bands, waiters, expensive booze, bouncers, etc. is a glorious example of kavod seeking that causes kinah and taavah. What a colossal shame.
Why do you propose to know why all of these people make these parties? Besides for the fact that somebody else's "struggle" with kavod is, quite frankly, none of your business.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2019, 07:17:04 PM »
It would be fun if you could finagle about why the whole issue of wealthy people creating wild parties doesn't bother you much considering your own admission of zealotry.
Or it does bother him but he is not bothered by the rabbonim not "banning" it.
As I posted already, inappropriate Purim parties are not at all restricted to the 1%.

I know of regular middle class couples who celebrated in a way that I would deem to be very inappropriate as well. And this all does technically bother me. Would you really like a 1000 word essay/rant against the new shallow culture of materialism? Meh, I don't have the energy..

So what exactly is the big deal if some rich dude throws a ridiculous party? To me personally it does absolutely nothing to impress, I basically couldn't care less.. I may shake my head and mutter something about kids these days...

Whoever wrote that OP letter though is despicable. They obviously hate rabbonim and we're just looking for an excuse to disparage them. It has nothing to do with the writers great pains about the party. I won't be jumping on that bandwagon.. this whole crises has nothing to do with the poor loser who needed to show off his success... Let them enjoy it.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2019, 07:18:42 PM »
As I posted already, inappropriate Purim parties are not at all restricted to the 1%.

I know of regular middle class couples who celebrated in a way that I would deem to be very inappropriate as well. And this all does technically bother me. Would you really like a 1000 word essay/rant against the new shallow culture of materialism? Meh, I don't have the energy..

So what exactly is the big deal if some rich dude throws a ridiculous party? To me personally it does absolutely nothing to impress, I basically couldn't care less.. I may shake my head and mutter something about kids these days...

Whoever wrote that OP letter though is despicable. They obviously hate rabbonim and we're just looking for an excuse to disparage them. It has nothing to do with the writers great pains about the party. I won't be jumping on that bandwagon.. this whole crises has nothing to do with the poor loser who needed to show off his success... Let them enjoy it.
+100