Author Topic: Over The Top Purim Parties  (Read 34379 times)

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Over The Top Purim Parties
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2019, 12:35:30 AM »
The parties aren't negativly affecting youth any more than a pizza shop affects youth by being open and youths hanging out there

Please read the letter (assuming all points are true). I kind of am beginning to think you never actually read it...
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2019, 12:35:39 AM »
I beg to differ.

Here is a small part of the letter:

One party in the Ir Hatorah of Lakewood, a party that likely cost around $250,000 (including a full band, massive tent, multiple superstar singers, tons and tons of food, open bars) caused more damage than any possible good. Taaruvos galore, with boys and girls mingling all over the nearby streets.

At a different Shul party, Hatzolah had to be there so many times it is not possible to count. One kid after the next was carried out, as children of all ages managed to get toasted on all types of hard liquor. Of course, the wonderful Baalei Batim of this Shul were writing checks while the 13 year old boys got hammered on as much liquor as they wanted.

Is there nothing intrinsically wrong with endangering kids so that Hatzolah needs to be called multiple times, boys and girls mingling, and little boys getting toasted on all types of hard liquor? I think there is a lot wrong.
Do you honestly think that's not going to happen at all if we "shut down" certain parties?
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2019, 12:36:31 AM »
Please read the letter (assuming all points are true). I kind of am beginning to think you never actually read it...
You're just deluding yourself as to who and what is to blame for the kind's of behavior that the writer of the letter says is happening at these parties.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2019, 12:37:31 AM »
Image was literally 0% of the equation. I was perfectly happy driving around a $500 beater until it broke down

Along came a car that's a complete paradigm shift in driving. You don't need to waste time filling it up with gas imported from countries that want to destroy us. You don't need to worry about losing the key as there is no key. You don't have to worry about wasting time on oil changes and engine maintenance as those don't exist. And it's more like piloting an awesome rocketship than driving a car. And the government offered me a $7,500 handout to go green and buy it.
+1

the moshol with the Tesla being about image is for sure not by all people.

I would gladly buy a Tesla that has a Camry shell. (as long as I like the way it looks) Nothing to do with the head turning I'd get. If anything I get more of a image boost thingy out of my current jalopy of a car due to it's uniqueness.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2019, 12:37:38 AM »
I beg to differ.

Here is a small part of the letter:

One party in the Ir Hatorah of Lakewood, a party that likely cost around $250,000 (including a full band, massive tent, multiple superstar singers, tons and tons of food, open bars) caused more damage than any possible good. Taaruvos galore, with boys and girls mingling all over the nearby streets.

At a different Shul party, Hatzolah had to be there so many times it is not possible to count. One kid after the next was carried out, as children of all ages managed to get toasted on all types of hard liquor. Of course, the wonderful Baalei Batim of this Shul were writing checks while the 13 year old boys got hammered on as much liquor as they wanted.

Is there nothing intrinsically wrong with endangering kids so that Hatzolah needs to be called multiple times, boys and girls mingling, and little boys getting toasted on all types of hard liquor? I think there is a lot wrong.
There are plenty of inappropriate Purim parties amongst the 99% as well.. shhh
The only reason to pick on the 1% parties is because it's an easy target for the 99%.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Denverite

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2019, 12:40:03 AM »
The only reason to pick on the 1% parties is because it's an easy target for the 99%.

+1000

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2019, 12:40:20 AM »
Do you honestly think that's not going to happen at all if we "shut down" certain parties?

While nobody is capable of literally preventing such parties, raising awareness is certainly a good thing!

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2019, 12:41:38 AM »
+1

the moshol with the Tesla being about image is for sure not by all people.

I would gladly buy a Tesla that has a Camry shell. (as long as I like the way it looks) Nothing to do with the head turning I'd get. If anything I get more of a image boost thingy out of my current jalopy of a car due to it's uniqueness.
There's definitely a certain image that having a Tesla portrays to the public, regardless of the price. That doesn't mean that image had anything to do with anyone's reasons for purchasing their car though.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2019, 12:44:03 AM »
You're just deluding yourself as to who and what is to blame for the kind's of behavior that the writer of the letter says is happening at these parties.

I don't think anyone is deluding themselves by saying that there is room to blame the people that actually pay for events that result in kids getting so slammed that Hatzalah needs to constantly be dashing into the place. It's a super logical conclusion.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2019, 12:44:47 AM »
There's definitely a certain image that having a Tesla portrays to the public, regardless of the price. That doesn't mean that image had anything to do with anyone's reasons for purchasing their car though.
Only because people don't realize that they can go buy one today for $30K. Within a year or 2 at the most, everyone and their mother will have one.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2019, 12:47:15 AM »
I think they should do both. They should worry about themselves and worry about issues that affect the Jewish community. It isn't mutually exclusive.
Jealousy isn't a pretty image. Do you also protest teens mingling at pizza shops on motzash?

The whole concept of worrying about what others spend is just so strange.

Someone in shul this past Shabbos was saying how nobody should spend more than $20 on all their shaluch manos combined as anything more than $20 should be allocated to better causes.

I said I spent $4 each (A box of P"Y Oreo thins and a small bottle of chocolate milk) on 50 that we gave out and don't regret that at all, in fact many people commented how nice it was to having something they weren't going to dump right into the trash while others commented how this was the first time in their life they had ever gotten to eat Oreos.

To which the person responded, but why not allocate the $180 towards tzedaka. I said what I gave to tzedaka is quite frankly none of your business, but I gave generously to many causes on Purim and that the number would be no different had I spent $20 or $200 on Shaluch manos. So why kvetch about what others spend on it?

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2019, 12:56:02 AM »
Jealousy isn't a pretty image. Do you also protest teens mingling at pizza shops on motzash?

The whole concept of worrying about what others spend is just so strange.

Someone in shul this past Shabbos was saying how nobody should spend more than $20 on all their shaluch manos combined as anything more than $20 should be allocated to better causes.

I said I spent $4 each (A box of P"Y Oreo thins and a small bottle of chocolate milk) on 50 that we gave out and don't regret that at all, in fact many people commented how nice it was to having something they weren't going to dump right into the trash while others commented how this was the first time in their life they had ever gotten to eat Oreos.

To which the person responded, but why not allocate the $180 towards tzedaka. I said what I gave to tzedaka is quite frankly none of your business, but I gave generously to many causes on Purim and that the number would be no different had I spent $20 or $200 on Shaluch manos. So why kvetch about what others spend on it?

I agree that in many instances people shouldn't care. Keeping up with the Cohens is stupid. Who cares about what the next guy spends on his shaluch manos?

BUT that doesn't mean we should ignore it in all instances. If someone decides to throw a wild, expensive Purim party that results in little kids getting hammered, inappropriate mingling, Hatzolah needing to haul away stone drunk kids ....then I'm sure the Torah wants us to care. And the point about mingling at pizza shops is probably something we as a community should care about, but it wasn't the topic of this thread.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2019, 01:02:24 AM »
Who cares about what the next guy spends on his shaluch manos?
I'd guess people like you. Once you care about what car someone drives or how nice their bar mitzvahs are, it becomes an obsession and you can about it all.

I agree that in many instances people shouldn't care. Keeping up with the Cohens is stupid. Who cares about what the next guy spends on his shaluch manos?

BUT that doesn't mean we should ignore it in all instances. If someone decides to throw a wild, expensive Purim party that results in little kids getting hammered, inappropriate mingling, Hatzolah needing to haul away stone drunk kids ....then I'm sure the Torah wants us to care. And the point about mingling at pizza shops is probably something we as a community should care about, but it wasn't the topic of this thread.
Back to my original problem with the article. Decide what exactly the beef is, Rabbis, fancy parties, or unsupervised kids?

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2019, 01:05:08 AM »
Only because people don't realize that they can go buy one today for $30K. Within a year or 2 at the most, everyone and their mother will have one.
Wasn't saying it had any basis in reality, just that the image that Tesla built up around themselves is still there even when you're driving a base model 3.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2019, 01:08:45 AM »
I'd guess people like you. Once you care about what car someone drives or how nice their bar mitzvahs are, it becomes an obsession and you can about it all.
Well, you would be wrong. I care about parties that are atrocious like in the letter and somebody used Tesla as a comparison to which I agreed. You became defensive because you blog about owning one. But if you are right that Tesla is a bad comparison, then I'm all for using another example. Rolls Royce. There we go. Now we can all sing the Kumbaya.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2019, 01:09:45 AM »
Wasn't saying it had any basis in reality, just that the image that Tesla built up around themselves is still there even when you're driving a base model 3.
The image was built based on years of selling 6 figure cars and falcon doors.

There's no way they keep that image as the Model 3 and Y go mainstream. There's nothing luxurious about a Model 3 other than it being high-tech and fun to drive.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2019, 01:11:10 AM »
Well, you would be wrong. I care about parties that are atrocious like in the letter and somebody used Tesla as a comparison to which I agreed. You became defensive because you blog about owning one. But if you are right that Tesla is a bad comparison, then I'm all for using another example. Rolls Royce. There we go. Now we can all sing the Kumbaya.
If someone handed out millions of dollars in checks from his Rolls on Purim I wouldn't care about that either. I don't understand why you care so much about what other people spend their money on at all, it's non of your business. As Dan said, pick which part you actually care about and we can address it but you're just all over the place spewing nonsense.

Offline Shkop

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2019, 01:14:23 AM »
If someone handed out millions of dollars in checks from his Rolls on Purim I wouldn't care about that either.

If only that was the issue. Again, you probably never read the letter or don't care about what it said. It was about wild Purim parties that were dangerous, and more. I hope that isn't difficult to comprehend.

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2019, 01:14:29 AM »
@Dan could I redeem my HT for a DO in your tesla?

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2019, 01:15:46 AM »
I'm with JJ here. This is so dumb it does not merit a response.
Pure suburban Clevelander soul.. You sure have no image intentions.. but here in the "city" (Brooklyn,Lakewood etc) there is surely an image factor of driving a Tesla when the rest of the people didn't gave up yet the Siennas and Oddesys..