Author Topic: Kicked Out Of Centurion Lounge In LAS For Eating Kosher Sandwich  (Read 17176 times)

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Just wanted to hear some thoughts about this... Here is the story in a nutshell:

I was at the Centurion Lounge @ LAS last week and it was extremely overcrowded. Like I have done many times before I got myself a drink from the bar, and took out my kosher Sub. 2 minutes in a security officer comes over to me and says no outside food allowed, and if I want to eat my sandwich I would have to eat it outside. He says we serve food right over there, to which I responded that there are no kosher options available. He says again policy is no outside food, I said ok, but I never knew that that was the policy and there is no sign stating that, he just ignored me and walked away. Considering at this point I was 2/3 done, I just finished my sandwich. My reasoning was that he didn't bother responding to me, then I don't have to make myself too crazy. Either way he doubled back 10 seconds later to see if I listened. I was eating my last bite then. He disappeared into the back , and came back with the club manger. Manager says I gotta ask you to leave. I am like its fine I am done. He says no you violated club policy so you must leave the club now. He starts picking up my knapsack. I said lets call cardmember services, since I pay $550 a year for the privilege of coming to these clubs. Then I asked his name which he refused to give. After dialing Amex he says you need to leave to make that call, and continues to walk with my backpack to the door. I calmly responded that I didn't think he was being fair, and that I tried having a conversation with the security guy, and he just walked away. I also pointed out that if he was confident in his decision, he should have no problem giving his name, as he is just enforcing Amex policy.  His response was don't make me call airport security and forcibly remove you... Having images of Dr Dao in my mind I obediently left.

Keep in mind I did not raise my voice once, and all questions were asked in a polite calm tone. I was looking for clarification as I honestly had no clue that was the policy. I have eaten many sandwiches in clubs around the world, and was never told anything. In a perfect world should I have stopped eating the sandwich? Yes, however IMO these guys were on a major power trip, trying to empty an overflowing club. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:58:30 AM by tzifanya54 »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Kicked Out Of Centurion Lounge In LAS For Eating Kosher Sandwich
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 10:52:30 AM »
Dr Dao made millions ya' know.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 10:52:51 AM »
I think you violated club policy and should have stopped eating. Had nothing to do with kosher food.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 10:56:31 AM »
I think you violated club policy and should have stopped eating. Had nothing to do with kosher food.
Dr. Dao should have complied with a lawful request.
Dr Dao made millions ya' know.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 10:57:48 AM »
I think this story should get the 550 waived for a couple years at minimum. If not dump the card and move on...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 10:58:49 AM »
True, but the last thing AMEX wants is to arrest someone for eating kosher in their Cent clubs.

Who knows, maybe that media coverage would have been the push to get AMEX to restore KSMLs for cent lounges.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 10:59:14 AM »
I think this story should get the 550 waived for a couple years at minimum. If not dump the card and move on...
The time to dump the card was in the lounge. I wouldn't leave without having the front desk arrange the cancellation.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 10:59:48 AM »
So far all I got was $50 as a credit to go to a different lounge. Amex wasn't even proactive on that, I had to ask for it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 11:00:43 AM »
So far all I got was $50 as a credit to go to a different lounge. Amex wasn't even proactive on that, I had to ask for it.
Sorry to say, but you played this all wrong.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 11:02:56 AM »

JC (and by that I mean I am not trying to be offensive I really want to know):

1) Where aware of the no outside food policy?
2) Do you never bring kosher food into lounges? I am not talking about a full spread, rather a measely sub neatly wrapped...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 11:03:14 AM »
The time to dump the card was in the lounge. I wouldn't leave without having the front desk arrange the cancellation.

I'm not sure I believe you.

Prohibiting food from outside is a very common rule, one that would presumably be enforced if it were Halal, McDonald's, or Kosher Express.

The way to have played this, assuming OP was not aware of the rule, was to have asked the guard respectfully to speak to the manager, and respectfully explain the issue.  If granted an exception, fine, but if not, you stop eating.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline mendy from lakewood

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, National EE, Hertz Presidential.
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 11:05:15 AM »
what would you have done?
"Respect is earned, Honesty is appreciated, Trust is gained, Loyalty is returned"

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 11:05:47 AM »
I know, what would you have done? Also, what can I still do?
Keep in mind this was lees than 24 hours to Purim and I really just wanted to get home, couldn't afford make any kind of ruckus that would prevent me from taking my flight...

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 11:07:40 AM »
I'm not sure I believe you.

Prohibiting food from outside is a very common rule, one that would presumably be enforced if it were Halal, McDonald's, or Kosher Express.

The way to have played this, assuming OP was not aware of the rule, was to have asked the guard respectfully to speak to the manager, and respectfully explain the issue.  If granted an exception, fine, but if not, you stop eating.
So had it been you, you would have taken it all in stride? If manager didn't approve you would smile wrap you 3 bites up and be on your merry way??

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 11:08:09 AM »
what would you have done?
Probably this, but with a bit more force

However I wouldn't take being tossed out so easily had I gone down OPs route. Once there I'd let it play out by asking to cancel the card before I left to get things on the record. And I'd video record everything from that point on as everyone should in airport situations.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 11:11:23 AM »
Probably this, but with a bit more force
However I wouldn't take being tossed out so easily had I gone down OPs route. Once there I'd let it play out by asking to cancel the card before I left to get things on the record. And I'd video record everything from that point on as everyone should in airport situations.
Likely front desk rep says ok let me cancel that for you... she cancels card, now what?
Also, a manager at card member services is reveiwing the case, I am just not sure what to push for at this point....

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 11:13:22 AM »
JC (and by that I mean I am not trying to be offensive I really want to know):

1) Where aware of the no outside food policy?
2) Do you never bring kosher food into lounges? I am not talking about a full spread, rather a measely sub neatly wrapped...

1) No, but I'm far from surprised.
2) I do, and I don't hide it.  I've never been asked to stop eating. That said, if I had been asked, I'd have done just as I suggested, and that's coming from someone who is naturally pretty argumentative. (I know, you're shocked.)

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2019, 11:14:36 AM »
1) No, but I'm far from surprised.
2) I do, and I don't hide it.  I've never been asked to stop eating. That said, if I had been asked, I'd have done just as I suggested, and that's coming from someone who is naturally pretty argumentative. (I know, you're shocked.)
LOL.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2019, 11:15:17 AM »
Likely front desk rep says ok let me cancel that for you... she cancels card, now what?
Also, a manager at card member services is reveiwing the case, I am just not sure what to push for at this point....
More likely they make it up for you with a sweet retention offer on the spot or ask the lounge dragons to chillax about kosher food. Those agents are not trying to lose you over a sub.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 11:19:54 AM »
More likely they make it up for you with a sweet retention offer on the spot or ask the lounge dragons to chillax about kosher food. Those agents are not trying to lose you over a sub.
Ok, I guess I blew that...and now any recourse? I can still call retention and tell them the whole story, but a week later, it's a much weaker story...