Author Topic: Android Ad Blocker  (Read 974 times)

Offline Moe Ginsburg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Android Ad Blocker
« on: March 28, 2019, 05:36:29 PM »
What options are available to block ads on an Android device? The device is non-rooted.

I want to use the standard Chrome browser.  (I believe Firefox for Android has an available ad blocker extension, but I want to stick with Chrome.) If it can block ads in apps that would be a bonus.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Android Ad Blocker
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 08:52:34 AM »
What is your reason for sticking with Chrome? There are good Chromium based Android browsers that do have Ad Blocking built in, like Brave, Opera, and the Samsung Browser.

Other than that there is no easy and efficient ad blocking thingy on non-rooted Android. You can try Blokada

Offline Moe Ginsburg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 09:51:13 AM »
Is it worthwhile rooting in order to place an ad blocker? If so, what is the best ad blocker for a rooted device?

Are Brave and Opera for Android the best Chromium browsers for Android? How do they compare to Chrome for Android overall, aside from ad blocking?

I wanted to continue using Chrome since I'm fully invested in the Google ecosystem, utilizing a Google account with Gmail, Google Password Manager and browsing history/tabs shared across multiple devices and platforms (PC, smartphone, tablet and Chromebook). Is this possible to continue without using Google Chrome on Android?

Is there a downside to Blokada?

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 10:00:09 PM »
Is it worthwhile rooting in order to place an ad blocker? If so, what is the best ad blocker for a rooted device?
I do not think it is worth it.
Are Brave and Opera for Android the best Chromium browsers for Android? How do they compare to Chrome for Android overall, aside from ad blocking?
Brave, Opera, Kiki, and others. All of them are great, each one a bit different. In functionally and browsing they are very much the same. You will certainly miss the Google sync (for passwords you can use LastPass for all devices which is anyhow more safe than Google's.)
Is there a downside to Blokada?
Although I have not experienced it myself, but I only used it sporadically, the method it uses requires all traffic to go through its app (it acts like a VPN) so it can certainly slow things.

Offline Moe Ginsburg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 04:46:58 PM »
What are the downsides to rooting?