Author Topic: Ticket issued to a car i sold 9 years ago  (Read 16960 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Ticket issued to a car i sold 9 years ago
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 01:13:44 PM »
you live in NJ on the carfax it shows that the next owners were in PA and NY.

personally, i will send out the carfax and a letter saying that "i am sorry but as you can see i sold the vehicle back in 2010, and i am not any more related to that vehicle. etc .. "

notarize the letter and send it with "tracking and signature" to have proof that they got it.

and i will move on ..

again i am not a lawyer, this is just my 2cent

That makes a lot of sense. You're providing a reasonable response with reasonable proof, putting the ball back in their court (no pun intended). If they keep on pursuing you, then figure out how to continue. It's important not to let these kinds of nuisances bog you down mentally.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 01:15:41 PM »
Can one register a cat or get a title issued in a state they do not live in?
Yes, like a student etc.

Offline Pad18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2019, 01:26:24 PM »
Can one register a cat or get a title issued in a state they do not live in?

yes, but usually if it's the same owner moving to a different state/address on the carfax it will mention "new location/address" and not "new owner reported" specifically that the next owner you can see that he took a loan on the vehicle and it clearly says "New owner reported and Loan or
lien reported"

edit: and you can see that the vehicle was "repossessed" in 2013, so a long time after you sold it, and before the tickets were issued. so nothing to do with you.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 01:30:37 PM by Pad18 »

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2019, 03:25:25 PM »
I will send Nassau the carfax and bank statements showing i lived in NJ at the time the ticket was issued. I will also send them a certified letter requesting proof the debt is mine. (the collections agency said they just collect, don't own it).
The nassau supervisor called me back and saw that the current owner is NY DOT (it was salvaged) and i am the prior owner. SHe said i should send bill of sale (don't have it) so they can transfer the debt. I said that's ridiculous since it is not my job to prove who owns the car. It is on them to prove it is mine. She backed into saying she isn't a lawyer blah blah blah. Ill try to get to NY DMV tomorrow to see if i can get a title report showing that i last owned it in 2010.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2019, 03:55:49 PM »
The nassau supervisor called me back and saw that the current owner is NY DOT (it was salvaged) and i am the prior owner. SHe said i should send bill of sale (don't have it) so they can transfer the debt. I said that's ridiculous since it is not my job to prove who owns the car. It is on them to prove it is mine. She backed into saying she isn't a lawyer blah blah blah.

Unfortunately, when dealing with the government, it is your job. המוציא מחברו עליו הראי - doesn't apply here. As far as they are concerned, the vehicle is yours according to their database, and the burden of proof is on you to prove them wrong.

Ill try to get to NY DMV tomorrow to see if i can get a title report showing that i last owned it in 2010.
... or at least something in writing to that effect.

Incidentally, I think you should ask for copies of the original tickets, and possibly also look for other technicalities to have them dismiss.

If they remanded this to a collections agency, it means that they probably tried to send you the tickets - to where? An Old address? While you could establish that you moved well before the ticket was issued, they could argue back - yes, and you forgot to move your car registration.

If this was a moving violation, I would suggest you try to prove you were elsewhere on that day, but since it's on a registration violation,the owner is responsible for the car no matter where they are.

Here's another thought - although this would be more likely tied to a moving violation - have you tried reaching out to the local DA and explaining the situation?

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2019, 04:00:22 PM »
Unfortunately, when dealing with the government, it is your job. המוציא מחברו עליו הראי - doesn't apply here. As far as they are concerned, the vehicle is yours according to their database, and the burden of proof is on you to prove them wrong.
... or at least something in writing to that effect.

Incidentally, I think you should ask for copies of the original tickets, and possibly also look for other technicalities to have them dismiss.

If they remanded this to a collections agency, it means that they probably tried to send you the tickets - to where? An Old address? While you could establish that you moved well before the ticket was issued, they could argue back - yes, and you forgot to move your car registration.

If this was a moving violation, I would suggest you try to prove you were elsewhere on that day, but since it's on a registration violation,the owner is responsible for the car no matter where they are.

Here's another thought - although this would be more likely tied to a moving violation - have you tried reaching out to the local DA and explaining the situation?
They sent it to the address last on my registration in ny.  Pa has confirmed that they had the title there. I don’t understand why Nassau doesn’t just call pa. What would happen if the car was never registered in ny. They’d just ignore it?
Someone is being very lazy on their end
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2019, 04:22:34 PM »
They sent it to the address last on my registration in ny.  Pa has confirmed that they had the title there. I don’t understand why Nassau doesn’t just call pa. What would happen if the car was never registered in ny. They’d just ignore it?
Someone is being They are all very lazy and incompetent on their end

If you're dealing with a debt collection agency, just handle it like any other debt collection. Deny the debt, request validation of debt. If there's a default judgment against you, you'll need to bring an Order to Show Cause (not sure how that works with parking violations though).
-- Dan

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2019, 04:28:00 PM »
If you're dealing with a debt collection agency, just handle it like any other debt collection. Deny the debt, request validation of debt. If there's a default judgment against you, you'll need to bring an Order to Show Cause (not sure how that works with parking violations though).
The agency says they just collect but don't own it. They said all. Disputed go through naassai county.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 05:18:04 PM »
The agency says they just collect but don't own it. They said all. Disputed go through naassai county.

Well, they aren't legally allowed to collect a debt you don't owe, and have to follow procedures. They might be in violation of the Federal Law if they try to collect and ignore your request to validate the debt. There are attorneys that make a business out of suing such debt collectors for the violations, which could actually get you some $ in your pocket.
-- Dan

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2019, 05:28:41 PM »
Someone is being very lazy on their end

Again, they're the government, and you owe them money unless you prove otherwise. Will PA give you proof that it was owned by someone other than you? (Even if they don't want to name the person).

Years ago, a newly married friend of mine got a letter saying that her car payments were overdue, and that they were going to repo her car - problem was - she didn't own the car listed on the loan, and the name on the loan was her married name - but the car was bought before she had even met her husband.

She had to go into the bank (thankfully they had a local branch) and show her documents and marriage certificate, they still gave her a hard time.

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2019, 02:54:46 PM »
 And the saga ends.
Nassau county just called to get my address and send me clearance paperwork. Something with the new owners never actually registering the car or something but she got the paperwork from the nys dot who  towed the car and impounded it and had the proper owner. I have no idea wth happened but I'm off the hook.
I'm amazed at how quickly they got this resolved!

Thanks for all the help!
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Pad18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2019, 03:17:34 PM »
bh, happy for the good and quick ending 

Offline ludmila

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2019, 05:30:30 PM »
Good it worked out for you. Car fax is usually very helpful in a situation like this.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 07:07:08 PM »
And the saga ends.
Nassau county just called to get my address and send me clearance paperwork. Something with the new owners never actually registering the car or something but she got the paperwork from the nys dot who  towed the car and impounded it and had the proper owner. I have no idea wth happened but I'm off the hook.

Thanks for all the help!

Thank you for making it ur bizniss to update us once it was resolved.
-- Dan

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2019, 08:05:44 PM »
Thank you for making it ur bizniss to update us once it was resolved.
he. Should quickly claim that user name . Depending on what he’s posting he can use whichever account is more appropriate
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2019, 08:43:57 AM »
And the saga ends.

Thanks for all the help!

B"H - glad to hear they realized their own mistake.

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2019, 08:19:53 PM »
as this thread seems to be the most relevant:

dealing with an actual collection agency who have submitted to my EXP over a small, bogus charge.
(when they called to collect I asked for documentation of the debt, instead they submitted to CR)
do i just dispute it with EXP? or do I have to worry about getting stuck with something like this guy https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=15272.0