Author Topic: Dimeththyltryptamine (DMT) & Halacha  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Philosophypsychologypsych

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Dimeththyltryptamine (DMT) & Halacha
« on: April 02, 2019, 11:57:02 PM »
I'm assuming most of you don't know too much about Dimeththyltryptamine, better known as DMT, but I'm hoping their are some people who are familiar and might be able to add their opinions on the matter.
To cut straight to the point, I was considering going on a vacation to Australia where they have licensed regulated clinics where one can have a DMT experience.
Is their ANY reason to think that this can possibly be problematic according to halacha?
From what I understand their are tribes that use DMT in their rituals but I don't see why that would make it assur being that this would not involve any religious ritual and would be conducted in a private clinic, so if certain religious groups used alcohol I find it hard to believe that it would render alcohol assur to use...
Anyone hear anything specific in regards to this subject?

(P.s. The DMT expierance is a purely spiritual one, and in today's day and age with almost complete hester panim, that even a "Dybbuk" was known to be a normal occurrence is no longer happening, it is as if hashem specifically does not want any supernatural phenomenon to be occurring as to amplify the hastaras panim of our generation, so for me to expierance an out of body feeling is something I am fascinated by and would love to do if it was not halachicaly problematic)

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Dimeththyltryptamine (DMT) & Halacha
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 03:00:17 PM »
please let's not fool ourselves that there's anything religious or spiritual in it.

just enjoy the trip
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:03:17 PM by jj1000 »

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 03:25:46 PM »
Do you really want to experience what for some is a life changing event and not necessarily in a positive sense?

“Many users describe profound, life-changing experiences such as visiting other worlds, talking with alien entities known as "DMT elves" or "machine elves," and total shifts in the perception of identity and reality.”

“Rabbi” Zalman Schachter-Shalomi was originally highly regarded by the Lubavitcher Rebbe. Partially as a result of his experience with LSD he went completely off the deep end. He was the originator of the rainbow tallit and he preached that if you enjoy gardening on shabbos it’s a mitzvah. He ended up running off with a Goya and was accused of some sordid stuff in the guise of his new religion.

In his own words:

“The most serious challenges to Judaism posed by modern thought and experience are to me game theory and psychedelic experience. Once I realize the game structure of my commitments, once I see how all my theologizing is just an elaborate death struggle between my soul and the God within her, or when I can undergo the deepest cosmic experience via some minuscule quantity of organic alkaloids or LSD, then the whole validity of my ontological assertions is in doubt. But game theory works the other way too. God too is playing a game of hide-and-seek with himself and me. The psychedelic experience can be not only a challenge, but also a support of my faith. After seeing what really happens at the point where all is one and where God-immanent surprises God-transcendent and they merge in cosmic laughter, I can also see Judaism in a new and amazing light.”

Reflecting on his first acid trip many years later, Schachter said:

“I realized that all forms of religion are masks that the divine wears to communicate with us. Behind all religions there’s a reality, and this reality wears whatever clothes it needs to speak to a particular people.”

The hallucinogenic experiences are not innocuous. They can permanently alter one’s perception of reality.

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 03:55:27 PM »
Do you recognize that Pot, Hashish ect is in fact assur (referring to the famous R' Moshe F psak)? Do you recognize LSD is Assur? If so why should this be any different? If not you are clearly already off the deep-end.

Online Lou Bob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starbucks gold, Optavia
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 06:37:50 PM »
I'm assuming most of you don't know too much about Dimeththyltryptamine, better known as DMT, but I'm hoping their are some people who are familiar and might be able to add their opinions on the matter.
To cut straight to the point, I was considering going on a vacation to Australia where they have licensed regulated clinics where one can have a DMT experience.
Is their ANY reason to think that this can possibly be problematic according to halacha?
From what I understand their are tribes that use DMT in their rituals but I don't see why that would make it assur being that this would not involve any religious ritual and would be conducted in a private clinic, so if certain religious groups used alcohol I find it hard to believe that it would render alcohol assur to use...

(P.s. The DMT expierance is a purely spiritual one, and in today's day and age with almost complete hester panim, that even a "Dybbuk" was known to be a normal occurrence is no longer happening, it is as if hashem specifically does not want any supernatural phenomenon to be occurring as to amplify the hastaras panim of our generation, so for me to expierance an out of body feeling is something I am fascinated by and would love to do if it was not halachicaly problematic)
DDF and Google are not your
A: Doctor
B: Rabbi
Always use an Amex, you'll thank me one day.

Offline Philosophypsychologypsych

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 07:08:16 PM »
DMT is a category of its own, natural pyschedelics have been used by some of the biggest Kabbalists in their attemts to reach high meditative states.
The pineal gland is one of the most misunderstoon or just simply not studied parts of the body, with referances in Kabbalah with some sources tying in the placement of the Tefillin directly above the pineal gland is not a coincedence..but to simply say that trying DMT is the same as a drug seeker using his acid is simply uneducated.

Offline doodle

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 08:25:37 PM »
Please go for help . Don’t look for excuses or make it into a “religous” thing .
Have pity on Yourself! No one else cares about you like you do .
Please ! Get the help you need
Salt Is Good

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 08:53:10 PM »
Please go for help . Don’t look for excuses or make it into a “religous” thing .
this is possibly the first post you made that I agree with! Maxes tic!
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 08:57:23 PM »

First of all, ask your LOR for halachic advice, not an anonymous internet forum.
Second of all, at least spell the drug correctly.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 08:58:12 PM »
Do you really want to experience what for some is a life changing event and not necessarily in a positive sense?

“Many users describe profound, life-changing experiences such as visiting other worlds, talking with alien entities known as "DMT elves" or "machine elves," and total shifts in the perception of identity and reality.”

“Rabbi” Zalman Schachter-Shalomi was originally highly regarded by the Lubavitcher Rebbe. Partially as a result of his experience with LSD he went completely off the deep end. He was the originator of the rainbow tallit and he preached that if you enjoy gardening on shabbos it’s a mitzvah. He ended up running off with a Goya and was accused of some sordid stuff in the guise of his new religion.

In his own words:

“The most serious challenges to Judaism posed by modern thought and experience are to me game theory and psychedelic experience. Once I realize the game structure of my commitments, once I see how all my theologizing is just an elaborate death struggle between my soul and the God within her, or when I can undergo the deepest cosmic experience via some minuscule quantity of organic alkaloids or LSD, then the whole validity of my ontological assertions is in doubt. But game theory works the other way too. God too is playing a game of hide-and-seek with himself and me. The psychedelic experience can be not only a challenge, but also a support of my faith. After seeing what really happens at the point where all is one and where God-immanent surprises God-transcendent and they merge in cosmic laughter, I can also see Judaism in a new and amazing light.”

Reflecting on his first acid trip many years later, Schachter said:

“I realized that all forms of religion are masks that the divine wears to communicate with us. Behind all religions there’s a reality, and this reality wears whatever clothes it needs to speak to a particular people.”

The hallucinogenic experiences are not innocuous. They can permanently alter one’s perception of reality.
One person going off because of something doesn't make that thing assur.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 08:58:27 PM »
Do you recognize that Pot, Hashish ect is in fact assur (referring to the famous R' Moshe F psak)?
Not so pashut, read the tshuva.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 09:00:11 PM »
DMT is a category of its own, natural pyschedelics have been used by some of the biggest Kabbalists in their attemts to reach high meditative states.
The pineal gland is one of the most misunderstoon or just simply not studied parts of the body, with referances in Kabbalah with some sources tying in the placement of the Tefillin directly above the pineal gland is not a coincedence..but to simply say that trying DMT is the same as a drug seeker using his acid is simply uneducated.
If you're going to do it, just do it, don't make believe that there is anything inherently spiritual or kabbalistic about it. If you were holding on a certain level and felt it was a tool to be used to gain something then maybe but you're not there so don't kid yourself.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 09:02:23 PM »
You're just being dismissive and putting him down, that accomplishes nothing and just makes you look like a fool. If you have something intelligent to say then say it, if not then kindly take your holier than thou attitude elsewhere.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 09:14:01 PM »
DDF and Google are not your
A: Doctor
B: Rabbi
WebMD and Stack Exchange on under the other hand
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD