Author Topic: Amex Closed Accounts  (Read 14783 times)

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Closed Accounts
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2019, 10:44:43 PM »
Conclusion: Amex has a new system in place that detects a pattern of swiping that would indicate cc spend is not for services or merchandise and shuts down accounts associated.

Story: Friend of mine does spending for merchant on AMEX cards in tune of 10k per month. Yes, I have warned him numerous times not to but...... no 1 is home . Each month at the end of billing cycle his card is paid in full and recharged. His and a second individual doing spend at the same merchant got shut down. There was no defaulted payments. My assumption is Amex is cracking down on this kind of behavior and rightfully does not want customers that are risky.
yeah, definitely seems merchant based.
To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

― Aristotle

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2019, 12:37:30 AM »
Merchant might've been flagged, not necessarily a system flagging your swiping pattern.

Offline tzifanya54

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2019, 08:27:54 AM »
Conclusion: Amex has a new system in place that detects a pattern of swiping that would indicate cc spend is not for services or merchandise and shuts down accounts associated.

Story: Friend of mine does spending for merchant on AMEX cards in tune of 10k per month. Yes, I have warned him numerous times not to but...... no 1 is home . Each month at the end of billing cycle his card is paid in full and recharged. His and a second individual doing spend at the same merchant got shut down. There was no defaulted payments. My assumption is Amex is cracking down on this kind of behavior and rightfully does not want customers that are risky.
I dont get it he was spending for the merchant, so why is that not goods or services being provided?

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2019, 09:33:47 AM »
He was not receiving any merchandise, he was lending money by use of his credit cards.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2019, 09:39:06 AM »
He was not receiving any merchandise,
How would the bank know that ?

1) how was he paying his card each month
2) what kind of merchandise does this merchant offer

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2019, 10:17:04 AM »
1. Merchant payed directly
2.  Clothing

My point is, Amex is picking up on spending habits and if someone is repetitively swiping at same merchant, maxing out each month it'll trigger some type of overview of account or possibly, if a terminal owner claims he sells  clothing retail and there are large CC charges from the same "costumers" over and over again amex will pick that up. Why would a clothing retailer have 10k+ charges each month from the same customer ?

I cant say forsure this is what's happening but based on the fact they closed accounts associated with people doing this kind of spending without YET defaulting, IMHO it's fair to say they have some type of system to pick up this type of behavior.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2019, 10:53:05 AM »
2.  Clothing

My point is, Amex is picking up on spending habits and if someone is repetitively swiping at same merchant, maxing out each month it'll trigger some type of overview of account or possibly, if a terminal owner claims he sells  clothing retail and there are large CC charges from the same "costumers" over and over again amex will pick that up. Why would a clothing retailer have 10k+ charges each month from the same customer ?

I cant say forsure this is what's happening but based on the fact they closed accounts associated with people doing this kind of spending without YET defaulting, IMHO it's fair to say they have some type of system to pick up this type of behavior.
yup

― Aristotle

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2019, 11:16:36 AM »
Isnt that a red flag ?

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2019, 11:41:25 AM »
Isnt that a red flag ?
Its basically telling the bank/CC, I am lending this guy your money that you wouldnt lend to this guy.

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2019, 10:51:55 PM »
Agreed

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2019, 12:57:46 PM »
I just got an email from Amex that "After careful review of your MR account, we have removed points in your account... We recently noticed point accrual or redemption activity indicates a manner that is not appropriate..." They go on to include the paragraph from Terms "If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse...."
After logging into my account I noticed a points adjustment of 25k. Anyone have this happen to them? And any chance Amex will continue to pursue further investigation into my account (FR or account shutdown)?
Chaya L.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »
I just got an email from Amex that "After careful review of your MR account, we have removed points in your account... We recently noticed point accrual or redemption activity indicates a manner that is not appropriate..." They go on to include the paragraph from Terms "If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse...."
After logging into my account I noticed a points adjustment of 25k. Anyone have this happen to them? And any chance Amex will continue to pursue further investigation into my account (FR or account shutdown)?
Do you know why they deducted it ?

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2019, 01:09:12 PM »
Do you know why they deducted it ?
No idea... I recently shut down 2 green cards... Transferred 60k to airline via AU... 25k amount feels like a general amount, not related to any particular activity. I don't feel like I'll benefit in any way by calling Amex, I would just let it go. I normally get a phone call from them, but none this time, just an email.
Chaya L.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »
yeah, they recently did this to me too. But I do agree, 25k seems quite odd...

― Aristotle

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2019, 01:18:23 PM »
yeah, they recently did this to me too. But I do agree, 25k seems quite odd...
Did you attempt to get back your points?
Chaya L.