Author Topic: Amex Closed Accounts  (Read 104809 times)

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Closed Accounts
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2019, 12:57:46 PM »
I just got an email from Amex that "After careful review of your MR account, we have removed points in your account... We recently noticed point accrual or redemption activity indicates a manner that is not appropriate..." They go on to include the paragraph from Terms "If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse...."
After logging into my account I noticed a points adjustment of 25k. Anyone have this happen to them? And any chance Amex will continue to pursue further investigation into my account (FR or account shutdown)?
Chaya L.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »
I just got an email from Amex that "After careful review of your MR account, we have removed points in your account... We recently noticed point accrual or redemption activity indicates a manner that is not appropriate..." They go on to include the paragraph from Terms "If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse...."
After logging into my account I noticed a points adjustment of 25k. Anyone have this happen to them? And any chance Amex will continue to pursue further investigation into my account (FR or account shutdown)?
Do you know why they deducted it ?

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2019, 01:09:12 PM »
Do you know why they deducted it ?
No idea... I recently shut down 2 green cards... Transferred 60k to airline via AU... 25k amount feels like a general amount, not related to any particular activity. I don't feel like I'll benefit in any way by calling Amex, I would just let it go. I normally get a phone call from them, but none this time, just an email.
Chaya L.

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »
yeah, they recently did this to me too. But I do agree, 25k seems quite odd...
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline chayal101

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2019, 01:18:23 PM »
Did you attempt to get back your points?
Chaya L.

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2019, 01:21:07 PM »
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline peace123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2019, 12:47:23 AM »
How do I safely spend $2500 until June 25th to meet the spend req on my Aspire card? I worry about using it to send  paypal payment or even a $500 GC.  Don't want to get shut down but I still have to meet at least $2500 in spend req in next 45 days.

Upgraded on 24th March and I have been struggling to spend the $4K spend req. If I don't do it, I won't receive the bonus points.
I have been using it for everyday spend such as at grocery and clothing items online and few hundred is theme park tickets.

Offline Mo2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2019, 09:36:40 PM »
How do I safely spend $2500 until June 25th to meet the spend req on my Aspire card? I worry about using it to send  paypal payment or even a $500 GC.  Don't want to get shut down but I still have to meet at least $2500 in spend req in next 45 days.

Upgraded on 24th March and I have been struggling to spend the $4K spend req. If I don't do it, I won't receive the bonus points.
I have been using it for everyday spend such as at grocery and clothing items online and few hundred is theme park tickets.
you can MS relatively safely with BGs.
Just make sure you do it responsibly and maybe dont make a habit out of it.
Do your research, read the wiki and ask for help...

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=97891.0
Common sense is not a gift, it is a punishment.
Because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2019, 10:26:53 PM »
you can MS relatively safely with BGs.
Just make sure you do it responsibly and maybe dont make a habit out of it.
Do your research, read the wiki and ask for help...

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=97891.0
I posted my Qs there. I didn't get what it is.
 I risk getting shut down for  $500 or more spend  on GCs or pay mortgage  with the card with payment site. My only 2 big spend on the Aspire card is $400 at homedepot  online pruchase and $400 at legoland tickets.   The other purchases are small grocery and restaurant purchases. I still have $2300 to spend until June 24th and if NOT, I get no bonus and I would have paid the $450 fee. Amex is SO NOTORIUS . They have shut me down before back in around 2008 for large spend on GCs. I have amex aspire card now because of the Citi Hilton got changed to Amex hilton.

Offline Mo2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2019, 12:15:19 AM »
I posted my Qs there. I didn't get what it is.
 I risk getting shut down for  $500 or more spend  on GCs or pay mortgage  with the card with payment site. My only 2 big spend on the Aspire card is $400 at homedepot  online pruchase and $400 at legoland tickets.   The other purchases are small grocery and restaurant purchases. I still have $2300 to spend until June 24th and if NOT, I get no bonus and I would have paid the $450 fee. Amex is SO NOTORIUS . They have shut me down before back in around 2008 for large spend on GCs. I have amex aspire card now because of the Citi Hilton got changed to Amex hilton.
with the BGs there's no way for Amex to know you're doing MS.
You'll usually be purchasing electronics from Best Buy or Amazon.
They can still shut you down or do a F/R if you have a sudden large spending that you didn't have before.
(From personal experience, I got a F/R on my Plat charge card for orders that I cancelled but still showed up as spending. During the F/R they specifically asked me about those purchases and I told them they were not actually charged. I passed.)
Common sense is not a gift, it is a punishment.
Because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2019, 12:34:40 PM »
Upgraded to aspire card 2 months ago and been using for organic regular spends such as grocery purchases restaurants transportations . If I purchase one $500 gift card at a grocery store, will Amex see this and shut down or deny the bonus later? Still have to spend $2K in a month

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2019, 12:47:47 PM »
Amex closed a friend of mine's account with 300k+ MR points. Rep says due to "inactivity". No notice was given (rep claims they warned of closure due to inactivity during a phone conversation a few months ago when AH called to downgrade from a Biz gold to green, which according to AH is not true).

Points are gone and Amex says there's nothing to be done. Any advice other than small claims court?

Offline BP16

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2019, 12:50:55 PM »
Amex closed a friend of mine's account with 300k+ MR points. Rep says due to "inactivity". No notice was given (rep claims they warned of closure due to inactivity during a phone conversation a few months ago when AH called to downgrade from a Biz gold to green, which according to AH is not true).

Points are gone and Amex says there's nothing to be done. Any advice other than small claims court?
Unfortunately once gone nothing to do.

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2019, 12:51:47 PM »
Unfortunately once gone nothing to do.
How can they legally take away your points without notice?

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2019, 01:11:17 PM »
How can they legally take away your points without notice?
They can't. Hence why you can sue them
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2019, 01:22:10 PM »
They can't. Hence why you can sue them
This is ridiculous. I get that big Corp's have their rules, but we're talking about a customer that gives them pretty decent annual spend. How do they expect a customer to trust them with their spend if they can simply turn around and erase those points.

Doesn't add up for me.

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2019, 04:32:55 PM »
Dosnt for me either.

It has been discussed, you can sue just as you can sue anyone. There are people that had success in doing so.

Depending where you live, if your not looking for big bucks, do it yourself.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2019, 06:48:22 PM »

Usually the MR account is still active for 30 days, you just can't access it online. Try speaking to an MR supervisor and see if they can transfer the points out OTP.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2019, 10:18:09 PM »
Usually the MR account is still active for 30 days, you just can't access it online. Try speaking to an MR supervisor and see if they can transfer the points out OTP.
Correct, problem is they didn't realize account was closed until it was too late. It's over 30 days now.

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2019, 11:37:51 PM »
you have 90 days, not 30