Author Topic: Amex Closed Accounts  (Read 104777 times)

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Closed Accounts
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2019, 08:41:31 PM »
Here is my 2 cents from a recent financial review and account closure. A Financial review was opened in my opinion from maxing out my available credit limit (which is pretty high) on my 0% apr Business Blue Cash Preferred Credit Card. The form 4506T that they requested was filled out for 2018 which I have filed an extension. I sent in the form for 2017 and then my account was closed. I called up and the financial review case manager and she said that she closed my accounts because there was a box that was mistakenly unchecked on the Form 4506T and therefore they could not pull my tax records. Very harsh in my opinion. I then proceeded to call both the financial review and credit departments and asked for a supervisor. The supervisors in both departments tried to open my accounts and said I would receive a letter in the mail in 7-10 days. I received the letter in the mail and it stated that due to unpaid balances on my account they could not reinstate my account. for the record I have no unpaid balances and contrarily I have never made a late payment or done anything to cause an account closure. I called them up again stating that the reason they provided is inaccurate as I have no unpaid balance on my account. In the end of the day there was no one that was able to help me. I filed a complaint with the CFPB explaining the scenario. I was charged $1,800 in annual card membership fees this year plus I had a lot of Membership Reward points.. And Its effecting my credit score.. I guess I will wait and see what happens. However I do plan on taking them to court, as it is very feasible being that they closed an attorneys account ;) and I have a valid grievance of course. If anyone wants to see the complaint that I have penned to the CFPB, either to help submitting a complaint or just for reference can PM me.
Btw you don't need to wait for CFPB to get your points call MR anytime theyr'e open, and you can transfer to any program but needs to be in your name, no AU's. oh and you won't get any bonus if threre's a promo going on.

Offline yaakovely

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2019, 11:10:14 PM »
Btw you don't need to wait for CFPB to get your points call MR anytime theyr'e open, and you can transfer to any program but needs to be in your name, no AU's. oh and you won't get any bonus if threre's a promo going on.
Thanks. But I won't get the same value as you stated..

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2019, 11:40:38 PM »
Actually, a friend of mine who was shut down got the QF bonus.

Offline ah giten

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2019, 12:05:33 AM »
from QF or AMEX?

Offline LoLo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2019, 12:12:59 AM »
Both.

Offline ah giten

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2019, 12:16:40 AM »
Both.
nice! hoe long after closure did he do the transfer?

Offline yosefsv

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2019, 01:08:38 PM »
Both.
+1
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline tdb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2019, 11:03:49 AM »
Amex closed a friend of mine's account with 300k+ MR points. Rep says due to "inactivity". No notice was given (rep claims they warned of closure due to inactivity during a phone conversation a few months ago when AH called to downgrade from a Biz gold to green, which according to AH is not true).

Points are gone and Amex says there's nothing to be done. Any advice other than small claims court?

Same thing happened to me i spent a couple of hours on the phone and eventually found a rep who agreed to reinstate the points but since account was closed i had to redeem the points immediately. I applied for a new everyday card on the spot and the rep was able to transfer the points to that account. I did not even receive the new card yet.  It was more that 90 days since account was closed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 11:13:19 AM by tdb »

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2019, 11:17:45 AM »
Same thing happened to me i spent a couple of hours on the phone and eventually found a rep who agreed to reinstate the points but since account was closed i had to redeem the points immediately. I applied for a new everyday card on the spot and the rep was able to transfer the points to that account. I did not even receive the new card yet.  It was more that 90 days since account was closed.
Nice!
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline ah giten

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2019, 08:46:53 PM »
One second, you were approved for a card right after getting shut? that would be great news for some of us here.

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2019, 09:40:51 PM »
Getting shut due to inactivity is different than getting shut for.....
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline ah giten

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2019, 11:29:01 PM »
Getting shut due to inactivity is different than getting shut for.....
... for nothing!

Offline tdb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2019, 10:16:47 AM »
One second, you were approved for a card right after getting shut? that would be great news for some of us here.

yes was shut down for inactivity but have excellent credit so I just applied for a new card while on the phone with them and it was approved instantly.

Offline yaakovely

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2019, 01:42:41 PM »
They are letting me transfer 251k MR points out. being that their are no bonuses, which would be my best redemption option for travel to Israel?

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2019, 06:10:41 PM »
... for nothing!
This may, or may not be true. However the way Amex looks at it is differently.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline yaakovely

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2019, 12:16:52 AM »
Here is my 2 cents from a recent financial review and account closure. A Financial review was opened in my opinion from maxing out my available credit limit (which is pretty high) on my 0% apr Business Blue Cash Preferred Credit Card. The form 4506T that they requested was filled out for 2018 which I have filed an extension. I sent in the form for 2017 and then my account was closed. I called up and the financial review case manager and she said that she closed my accounts because there was a box that was mistakenly unchecked on the Form 4506T and therefore they could not pull my tax records. Very harsh in my opinion. I then proceeded to call both the financial review and credit departments and asked for a supervisor. The supervisors in both departments tried to open my accounts and said I would receive a letter in the mail in 7-10 days. I received the letter in the mail and it stated that due to unpaid balances on my account they could not reinstate my account. for the record I have no unpaid balances and contrarily I have never made a late payment or done anything to cause an account closure. I called them up again stating that the reason they provided is inaccurate as I have no unpaid balance on my account. In the end of the day there was no one that was able to help me. I filed a complaint with the CFPB explaining the scenario. I was charged $1,800 in annual card membership fees this year plus I had a lot of Membership Reward points.. And Its effecting my credit score.. I guess I will wait and see what happens. However I do plan on taking them to court, as it is very feasible being that they closed an attorneys account ;) and I have a valid grievance of course. If anyone wants to see the complaint that I have penned to the CFPB, either to help submitting a complaint or just for reference can PM me.
So I received a response from Amex through the CFPB. It did not help much since they were basically justifying themselves for what they did. However they did give me some more evidence, additionally they made false statements and contradicted themselves. This only makes things better for me in court. I will keep everyone posted on what the final outcome is!

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2019, 12:26:52 AM »
So I received a response from Amex through the CFPB. It did not help much since they were basically justifying themselves for what they did. However they did give me some more evidence, additionally they made false statements and contradicted themselves. This only makes things better for me in court. I will keep everyone posted on what the final outcome is!

I'd continue the complaint thru the CFPB if possible and quote all the contradictions and the false statements. Much easier hassle then going to court, and can't hurt to do.
And if they've been tripping over themselves already they'll probably do more with the next reply and it'll give you even more ammunition.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline yosefsv

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2019, 02:15:35 PM »
A Friend of mine got his accounts closed by Amex about a month ago, He got today a $90 Check to reimburse him for points that he earned from for the refer a friend program, that they were unable to transfer to his Marriott account.

He did refer 2 friends about a year ago, but he already got 40,000 Bonvoy points deposited in his MT account...

If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline yaakovely

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2019, 04:19:47 PM »
I'd continue the complaint thru the CFPB if possible and quote all the contradictions and the false statements. Much easier hassle then going to court, and can't hurt to do.
And if they've been tripping over themselves already they'll probably do more with the next reply and it'll give you even more ammunition.
A few weeks ago I sent in another complaint to the CFPB. This time American Express said that they need more time to review the complaint..

Offline chinagel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2019, 07:36:59 PM »
Any chance of getting cards at a later date after this email?

"We want to let you know that after a recent review of your American Express® account(s), we have cancelled the accounts referenced above because one or more of these accounts, or other accounts to which these accounts are linked, have been identified as not being used for the intended purpose."

Wasn't MS'ing, just a lot of churning.