DansDeals Forum > Goods For Sale/Trade

PSA: Trading With New Members!

(1/22) > >>

Dan:
Use this board at your own risk. Dan's Deals LLC assumes no liability for deals gone bad.

Extra precautions should be taken when trading with new members.

Ideas include:
-Asking for references from established members.
-Asking for goods from a new members to be delivered before payment
-Asking for proof of who the seller is, with ID and DDF handle in the image.
-Speaking over the phone and calling the seller at a verified number.
-Agree to wait until after flight/hotel is used before payment is paid
-Use an escrow.
-Post your own ideas below.

Even with precautions taken, you still may be scammed with fraudulent items. Caveat emptor!

Denverite:
Anyone have links to sites that basically do escrow accounts for individual transactions?  It might be helpful for people.  I rented some timeshare weeks off of people years ago on Redweek.com and I know they recommended a company.  I figure the technology has improved since then and prices may have gone down.  I know it's not worth it for small gift cards, etc. but I see a lot of transactions (especially for Ritz/Marriott weeks) for large amounts, where using a third party service like this could be useful.

mmgfarb:

--- Quote from: Denverite on April 05, 2019, 02:45:03 PM ---Anyone have links to sites that basically do escrow accounts for individual transactions?  It might be helpful for people.  I rented some timeshare weeks off of people years ago on Redweek.com and I know they recommended a company.  I figure the technology has improved since then and prices may have gone down.  I know it's not worth it for small gift cards, etc. but I see a lot of transactions (especially for Ritz/Marriott weeks) for large amounts, where using a third party service like this could be useful.

--- End quote ---
Usually even a couple percent added to the cost will make the deal unviable, especially when you're talking about GC's.

Denverite:

--- Quote from: mmgfarb on April 05, 2019, 02:58:07 PM ---Usually even a couple percent added to the cost will make the deal unviable, especially when you're talking about GC's.

--- End quote ---

I know, that's why I said this isn't for small purchases, gift cards, etc (so I know this won't help a lot of people).  I was more referring the large amounts people are spending for Marriott weeks or multiple Hilton night certs.  Also, one guy that recently got scammed was for a "Travel Bank" purchase at 25% off.  I don't know how large of an amount he spent but paying an extra little bit for an escrow might have saved him a lot of heartache.

LEARNERBURNER:
I have been scammed multiple times on ddf. It is a real cesspool of opportunists....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version