Author Topic: Overnight flight change with short notice - any recourse?  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Overnight flight change with short notice - any recourse?
« on: April 05, 2019, 02:34:28 PM »
My son had a flight this morning scheduled to fly out at 5:45 am. Last night at 10, we got an e-mail from Delta saying the flight was delayed until 9:30am this morning. So we went to bed, assuming that we'd get up at a regular time, and take him to the airport. My wife woke up at 3am, to discover an e-mail from delta that was sent at 2am that the flight was back on for 5:45.

Thankfully, we made it to the airport okay - only to get another e-mail in the airport that the flight was delayed to 6:30am.

Seeing that we got the 2am e-mail for a 5:45am flight, do we have any recourse from delta? Is it worth calling/writing a letter?

Offline mileagejunkie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
Re: Overnight flight change with short notice - any recourse?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 02:39:27 PM »
My son had a flight this morning scheduled to fly out at 5:45 am. Last night at 10, we got an e-mail from Delta saying the flight was delayed until 9:30am this morning. So we went to bed, assuming that we'd get up at a regular time, and take him to the airport. My wife woke up at 3am, to discover an e-mail from delta that was sent at 2am that the flight was back on for 5:45.

Thankfully, we made it to the airport okay - only to get another e-mail in the airport that the flight was delayed to 6:30am.

Seeing that we got the 2am e-mail for a 5:45am flight, do we have any recourse from delta? Is it worth calling/writing a letter?
So your son flight was delayed 45 minutes and he most likely landed with a minimal delay? I understand that the scheduling, but they don’t owe you anything.

Offline BarryLincoln

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 02:40:43 PM »
Despite the emails that you received, airlines will always tell you to be at the gate based on the scheduled departure time.  That generally absolves them of future obligations.  You can certainly try to write them a letter/email, but it's doubtful you'll get anywhere...

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 05:36:48 PM »
Despite the emails that you received, airlines will always tell you to be at the gate based on the scheduled departure time.  That generally absolves them of future obligations.  You can certainly try to write them a letter/email, but it's doubtful you'll get anywhere...
+1 Unfortunately no.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 11:17:04 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their responses - my son mentioned that he only had 12 people on this flight - which means that a lot of them are probably complaining about the overnight e-mail.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 12:39:40 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their responses - my son mentioned that he only had 12 people on this flight - which means that a lot of them are probably complaining about the overnight e-mail.

Well, at least he had plenty of empty seats available to stretch out.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 12:50:10 PM »
not as good as that guy that just got the whole plane to himself!
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 12:50:58 PM »
not as good as that guy that just got the whole plane to himself!
Not necessarily. How many seats can one stretch out on? How much attention can one get from a flight attendant? At some point, one reaches the point of diminishing returns on marginalized improvements.

In any event, he definitely had it much better than all those that understood that the flight time really changed, and now will have to go on alternative flights which are likely to be very full.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline NTorch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 01:54:16 PM »
Seems like this happens with every airline, domestic and international and they always include that disclaimer.

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 02:54:34 PM »
PSA:
Mentioned elsewhere, but if you have a late flight and it gets delayed, the guys at the counter still go home at their regular scheduled time, so if you arrive late, there may be nobody there to check your luggage.
^^^