Author Topic: AA "schedule change" but really they cancelled the flight. Any recourse?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline noah32

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
So my family's flight home from San Diego (to ORD) for pesach got "changed." But it wasn't really changed, they cancelled the flight and re-booked us on alternative flights. Problem is my wife and I (and our kids) were on 2 separate itineraries (used points from each account). So now they re-booked us on 2 different flights - both of which are worse (one 7 hours earlier, and one around the same time but now with a stopover).

My question is - Do I have any recourse? Firstly I'm upset that flight was "changed" so close to the actual departure date (April 28) also that they put my wife on a stopover flight even though original ticket was nonstop. They did say they have nonstop availability the next day. Would they have to pay for a hotel?

It seems there is not much I can do. Just wanted to know if anyone has any tips. Thanks!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
They're not going to pay for your hotel, but find better alternatives on your own and can call them. They should generally be accommodating.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline noah32

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
They're not going to pay for your hotel, but find better alternatives on your own and can call them. They should generally be accommodating.

Thanks. Yes, I found a perfect flight on United that is nonstop at about the same time as the original flight. They said they will not put us on that flight. Should I HUCA?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Thanks. Yes, I found a perfect flight on United that is nonstop at about the same time as the original flight. They said they will not put us on that flight. Should I HUCA?
I should have been more specific. They're not likely to put you on another carrier this far in advance. Best you can do is better alternatives on the same carrier.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline noah32

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
I should have been more specific. They're not likely to put you on another carrier this far in advance. Best you can do is better alternatives on the same carrier.

Gotcha. Yes, they have been pretty accommodating (on the platinum line at least:))

Thank you for your help!

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Gotcha. Yes, they have been pretty accommodating (on the platinum line at least:))

Thank you for your help!
Delta moved my brother's flight time to Vegas 7 hours so that it would be a redeye. I called and asked for him to be put on the AA flight which was leaving around the same time as the original flight. They initially said no but when I reminded the agent of the interline agreement the airlines have she came back and said everything was done for both passengers on the itinerary. Just a data point but don't give up!

Offline noah32

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Delta moved my brother's flight time to Vegas 7 hours so that it would be a redeye. I called and asked for him to be put on the AA flight which was leaving around the same time as the original flight. They initially said no but when I reminded the agent of the interline agreement the airlines have she came back and said everything was done for both passengers on the itinerary. Just a data point but don't give up!

Thank you. I'm going to keep trying.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Delta is far more generous than AA.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
Delta is far more generous than AA.
Democrats are more generous than Republicans
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline jose34

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Similar situation with Southwest though, I had a direct flight they changed me and a friend who were flying on separate itineraries to a stopover flight. They changed me to one flight and my friend to another flight. A few days after the switch I changed my friend to my flight and let myself be on the stopover flight, kept on checking availability and night before the flight  finally found on the on a direct flight. I called up Southwest and they changed me and my friend ( who already used up his free changed)....

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
Similar situation with Southwest though, I had a direct flight they changed me and a friend who were flying on separate itineraries to a stopover flight. They changed me to one flight and my friend to another flight. A few days after the switch I changed my friend to my flight and let myself be on the stopover flight, kept on checking availability and night before the flight  finally found on the on a direct flight. I called up Southwest and they changed me and my friend ( who already used up his free changed)....
SW is better than other US airlines in cs IME.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline noah32

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile

I've been doing that as well. A few seats opened up and I was able to get my wife on a direct flight (although not the same as me). almost a 9 hour time difference from the original flight. I was told this was all due to the 737Max being grounded.