Author Topic: What Is The Greatest Travel Hack You Did?  (Read 58091 times)

Online sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: What Is The Greatest Travel Hack You Did?
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2022, 12:00:17 AM »
Reminds me the Hyatt apartments in Doral, FL. They are next to the Trump hotel, now they have a different name. Anyway, in the fridge there was a BIG bottle of water and it had a light green paper hanging from it, saying 'WITH COMPLIMENTS" so I thought it's complimentary, I opened it up, but after drinking it halfway, I realized it says on the bottom $4.00. I was very upset, first don't make this light, so it's not visible, second why put "WITH COMPLIMENTS" which looks very similar to "COMPLIMENTARY". So I filled up the bottle with tap water, put back the hanging paper, put it back in the fridge.

Sorry next guest for giving you tap water, I could NOT pay for that bottle of water........I felt cheated.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2022, 12:03:30 AM »
Reminds me the Hyatt apartments in Doral, FL. They are next to the Trump hotel, now they have a different name. Anyway, in the fridge there was a BIG bottle of water and it had a light green paper hanging from it, saying 'WITH COMPLIMENTS" so I thought it's complimentary, I opened it up, but after drinking it halfway, I realized it says on the bottom $4.00. I was very upset, first don't make this light, so it's not visible, second why put "WITH COMPLIMENTS" which looks very similar to "COMPLIMENTARY". So I filled up the bottle with tap water, put back the hanging paper, put it back in the fridge.

Sorry next guest for giving you tap water, I could NOT pay for that bottle of water........I felt cheated.
I guess if you didn't notice that the last guest did it to you, he won't notice that you did it to him...

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2022, 12:11:37 AM »

Or you could've just bought the same bottle in Publix for like $1 and replaced it.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2022, 01:26:33 AM »

Online Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2022, 03:52:45 AM »
Reminds me the Hyatt apartments in Doral, FL. They are next to the Trump hotel, now they have a different name. Anyway, in the fridge there was a BIG bottle of water and it had a light green paper hanging from it, saying 'WITH COMPLIMENTS"

A number of hotels do something  like this, when it happened to me I complained at checkout and they took it off. They seemed to be familiar with the complaint, since they do it on purpose. Now I call down and ask if it's complimentary.

Offline SuperFlyer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2022, 05:18:40 PM »
As the return flight for pessach from Europe to Chicago was prohibitive in coach, I decided to use miles.
It was very close to departure, and I figured that chol hamoed, I'll call United at ease to fly the scenic route back with the kids.
When I called them, it seemed that everything that seemed available on the site, was no longer available.
I was an hour on the phone, and was ready to take nasty options, as nothing seemed available.
I suddenly had a thought: we see economy, business and first, but the agents see letters that correspond to cabins.
So I told the agent, hey, I found O class economy (O class on some airlines is First). She said, it's available, and I started bombarding her with questions, to keep her processor (brain) on 100% (Ctrl + Alt + Del).
I moved quickly onto the next flight, and added a weekend in Venice.
As soon as she wanted to select seats, I obviously had to stop her, so I told her that the phone is dying and please please to see to it that it gets ticketed before it disconnects.
In short, we all flew First B"H.

Offline Danlover111

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2022, 11:33:08 PM »
As the return flight for pessach from Europe to Chicago was prohibitive in coach, I decided to use miles.
It was very close to departure, and I figured that chol hamoed, I'll call United at ease to fly the scenic route back with the kids.
When I called them, it seemed that everything that seemed available on the site, was no longer available.
I was an hour on the phone, and was ready to take nasty options, as nothing seemed available.
I suddenly had a thought: we see economy, business and first, but the agents see letters that correspond to cabins.
So I told the agent, hey, I found O class economy (O class on some airlines is First). She said, it's available, and I started bombarding her with questions, to keep her processor (brain) on 100% (Ctrl + Alt + Del).
I moved quickly onto the next flight, and added a weekend in Venice.
As soon as she wanted to select seats, I obviously had to stop her, so I told her that the phone is dying and please please to see to it that it gets ticketed before it disconnects.
In short, we all flew First B"H.
Sorry I lost you there...

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2022, 01:18:18 AM »

I typically write such posts when half asleep.
Let's see if others get it....

Offline smart man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2022, 05:14:03 AM »
It seems he got this rep to book him in first class with economy mileage rates because O class on the other airline was first class as opposed to United where O class equals economy class! Cmiiw
Beautiful job if I’m understanding correctly!

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2022, 05:36:28 AM »
It seems he got this rep to book him in first class with economy mileage rates because O class on the other airline was first class as opposed to United where O class equals economy class! Cmiiw
Beautiful job if I’m understanding correctly!

You are one smart man, you got that right. (Except that also on United O is First. I used her exhaustion, combined with getting her to multitask, to get her brain on the needed performance level)

The main lesson to be learned here, is that as much as we get frustrated by having a dumb rep on the phone, know that it could be used sometimes to our advantage of played right.

Offline Buruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 22, 2022, 06:41:03 AM »
They manually price it out?

Online yeshivabucher

• View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2022, 07:51:55 AM »
Was traveling with a lap infant and noticed a few empty seats on the flight. Just walked on through with the doona and put him in the empty seat next to me.

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2022, 09:05:09 AM »
Was traveling with a lap infant and noticed a few empty seats on the flight. Just walked on through with the doona and put him in the empty seat next to me.
I would expect nothing less

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2022, 09:26:50 AM »
They manually price it out?

Once flying, yes.

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2022, 09:41:35 AM »
IME if you ask at the gate they’ll usually let you do this. I’ve done it many times and whenever there was an empty seat they let.

If you reserve seats at the back of the plane your chances are higher- on full flights I sometimes reserve the back row or second to back as those are usually the empty ones if there are only a few seats open. I’d prefer 3 non-reclining seats in the back row rather than 2 seats further up :)

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2022, 10:09:37 AM »
IME if you ask at the gate they’ll usually let you do this. I’ve done it many times and whenever there was an empty seat they let.

If you reserve seats at the back of the plane your chances are higher- on full flights I sometimes reserve the back row or second to back as those are usually the empty ones if there are only a few seats open. I’d prefer 3 non-reclining seats in the back row rather than 2 seats further up :)

Ime, the only airline that did not allow this was South African Airways.

Offline Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2022, 11:40:38 AM »
they didn't let you reserve or they didn't let you put the child in an empty seat?
I never had a problem with them
Swiss on the other hand... got  a seat for baby with GA and FA said she needs it for a tall passenger (bulkhead) and even showing a printed boarding pass didn't help.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2022, 12:27:51 PM »
AA GA and FA didn't let us when we flew F to EZE when Rafi was a newborn. "That seat costs $20,000!"
Rafi cried for 30 minutes and they asked what they could do for him.
Uh? Give him the seat to sleep in?
They did and he went to sleep for the rest of the flight.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2022, 12:50:43 PM »
they didn't let you reserve or they didn't let you put the child in an empty seat?
I never had a problem with them
Swiss on the other hand... got  a seat for baby with GA and FA said she needs it for a tall passenger (bulkhead) and even showing a printed boarding pass didn't help.

They didn't let us take a car seat on the plane for a lap child when they know there were plenty of empty seats. They did the same to my brother. Every other airline I've tried has done so. Don't recall if I ever did that on AA.