Author Topic: What Is The Greatest Travel Hack You Did?  (Read 56439 times)

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: What Is The Greatest Travel Hack You Did?
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2022, 02:09:14 AM »
First of all, I didn't realize that it was so heavy - after all, I managed to lift it in and out of the trunk of the car. :)

I wasn't sure how much they charged for overweight, but if it was too much, I was planning to take out the pack n play and either pay for it as an additional bag, or leave it with my mother.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2022, 02:29:06 AM »

Coming into MIA, I had a suitcase filled with food and things for my daughter.  Our personal things had been in backpacks.
Leaving MIA, I was running late for my flight.
When we got to checkin, the agent refused to take our bag, saying it was too late. (She knew our flight was delayed.)
So I opened the suitcase, put out stuff back into the backpacks, and walked to our gate. Left the (B"H) cheap empty suitcase sitting there.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2022, 02:56:18 AM »
Booked a seat on JetBlue they "upgraded" me to the exit row aisle. Unfortunately the gentlemen sitting in the middle was not Large he was super sized large with a BO that could kill a Rhino. My whole body was in the aisle and this was not going to work for me. (It was hot and he was sweaty and wearing very short sleeves). Then the Jewish brain clicked into hyper-drive.....When they came to ask if we were willing to help in case of an emergency, I said absolutely not!! Needless to say some other gentlemen who did not see how I was sitting jumped at the offer to get the exit row......The look he gave me on the way out was priceless..

Love it

Offline lover of truth

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2022, 04:07:13 AM »
was looking to book ewr-lax a few days before flight and everything was pricing out around $700 so instead booked ewr-lax-oxnard (back in the day when united flew there) and it priced out $250. well flight was delayed and missed oxnard connection so ended up with free hotel night in LA
booked six AC yyz-tlv on glitch for only $300 during prime season that tickets were going for $2500 apiece, flight was overbooked duh!! there was a glitch and they needed party of six. i recieved $14,000 in vouchers and was rebooked on LH in under an hour

Offline ~King Lake~

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2022, 07:10:29 AM »
Youre allowed t bring liquid through security in TLV. I guess your hack was by the manual check when boarding the plane.
since when?
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Online yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2022, 08:16:07 AM »

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2022, 08:24:34 AM »
Reminds me of the bochrim that flashed their Social Security card at the Israel Lebanon border and identified themselves as "United States Social Security" to cross the border.
When I came back from Eretz Yisroel, I showed all my nieces and nephews my Rav Kav, with Eged's logo and my picture, and I told them that I was a licensed bus driver in Israel...

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2022, 08:37:00 AM »
When I fly Southwest with my baby instead of sitting in the middle seat next to the baby I sit in the aisle and that’s a sure way of having the last empty seat on the plane.

Offline drosenberg88429

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2022, 08:41:56 AM »
When I came back from Eretz Yisroel, I showed all my nieces and nephews my Rav Kav, with Eged's logo and my picture, and I told them that I was a licensed bus driver in Israel...

Lol. I was once pulled over while teaching an Israeli friend to drive in America. He was driving on the wrong side of the road. I told him to babble away in Hebrew, not let on that he understands a word of English, and to give them his Rav Kav when they ask for licence and I that order translate to him. I told cop that he must've gotten confused, because of the fact that they drive on right side of road in America. Cop let us go (but made me take over driving).

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2022, 08:51:27 AM »
For some reason, I think many people are not going to write about their greatest hacks they came up with and pulled off. :) Things get a lot more salacious and murky than a $300 FD to TLV or something.

Offline Joel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2022, 09:01:54 AM »
Hertz Valet.

Offline jose34

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2022, 09:18:01 AM »

Correct, always, as far as I'm concerned.

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2022, 09:28:50 AM »
Fairly innocuous: booked numerous HCs that had second leg delayed or cancelled, so got refund plus free return ticket to origin for trip in vain. Always nice bonus when you get that.

Hack is that I was actually being completely honest when I said that after the delay/rescheduling, I have no reason to be in the destination city, and it would be a pointless flight. (Incidentally, I never had a reason to be there, but that's irrelevant, isn't it?)

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2022, 09:28:39 PM »
Got to a check-in desk not flying to Israel, while most other yidden were.
Agent immediately assumed we were going to Israel, and once realized felt really bad.
That's how our overweight bags got through, and our carryons were tagged without being weighed... :)

Offline lazertek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: delta gold medllion status alaska mvp marriott gold elite uber gold Hertz PC Aeoroplan silver National EE
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2022, 11:12:16 PM »
I bought the American premium glitch for $277 on TLV-MAD-JFK and my ticket was booked in y and w afew days later american called me that they want to switch me to tlv-jfk direct so I okayed it and they rebooked me to the direct but in p class after that I called aa to ask how much it would cost to upgrade with miles to business and they told me 25000 plus $350 so I hung up and I called back and told them that I want my ticket in w class since that's what it originally was so the rep switched it for me to w now I hung up and called back to ask the price for a mileage upgrade to business and I was told that's it's 15,000 miles and no copay so I requested the upgrade and was put on a wait list and thank God I got to the gate and there was two no shows in business and that's the story how I payed $277 and 15k miles for an AA OW direct business class from tlv to jfk!
The only difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude(:

Offline ~King Lake~

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2022, 11:51:15 PM »
I bought the American premium glitch for $277 on TLV-MAD-JFK and my ticket was booked in y and w afew days later american called me that they want to switch me to tlv-jfk direct so I okayed it and they rebooked me to the direct but in p class after that I called aa to ask how much it would cost to upgrade with miles to business and they told me 25000 plus $350 so I hung up and I called back and told them that I want my ticket in w class since that's what it originally was so the rep switched it for me to w now I hung up and called back to ask the price for a mileage upgrade to business and I was told that's it's 15,000 miles and no copay so I requested the upgrade and was put on a wait list and thank God I got to the gate and there was two no shows in business and that's the story how I payed $277 and 15k miles for an AA OW direct business class from tlv to jfk!
יותר מזל משכל
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2022, 01:11:48 AM »
The ones I'm posting all expired, so no use asking for the little details:

I had found a system to rent by Avis in a way that the miles earned per rental had a way higher value than the actual rental.
Practically, that means that I rented 5x per week a one day rental for a couple of months till it died.
Since I used it in the city I live in, I arrived by Avis by bike in the morning, picked up the car and returned it in the evening. I drive so little that refueling made no sense.
They kept on asking me why I don't rent for a month straight. Way cheaper and way less paperwork...
Result: free car + about $800 / month.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 01:17:09 AM by SuperFlyer »

Offline STL EQUITIES

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2022, 01:27:33 AM »
I arrived way after bag check closed for a low cost flight from Prague to Milan. My friend and I had full sized suitcases with us, we somehow convinced the security to allow us to take our suitcases with us through security, and we shlep our suitcases all through the airport, to the gate, onto the bus to the plane, and have our bags to the baggage handler by the plane. Guy didn’t know what hit him. Only minus was we had to throw out liquids to take the suitcase with us

Offline lazertek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: delta gold medllion status alaska mvp marriott gold elite uber gold Hertz PC Aeoroplan silver National EE
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2022, 04:45:13 AM »
יותר מזל משכל
U sound jealous not excactly the reason I called in to switch the class was cuz I wanted it to count as full fare premium so that way it's only 15k miles and no surcharge to upgrade.
The only difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude(:

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2022, 10:57:40 AM »
Flew back from TLV to NY had 2 bottles of liquor in the check-in luggage, luggage was overweight took out the 2 bottles and placed them in a bag I had with dirty laundry, wrapped the 2 bottles in a towel placed it in the bottom of the bag dirty laundry on top of that .don't remember the exact details how it went by security, but bordered the plane with it and got home with it!!
When Shmoozy Bar was open, I'd just put the free wine at the bottom of my bag and offer sacrificial water bottles on top.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.