Author Topic: Selling Chometz  (Read 4500 times)

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Selling Chometz
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 12:02:17 PM »
They should state a price upfront, but don't, probably because it might cause some people to stay away.

or because it would cause smaller donations from the wealthy

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 12:20:21 PM »
+1
Those giving a check on Purim, or Chanukka aren't paying to get Misloach manos, or to see the Rav light the menorah. It's simple הכרת הטוב and this so happens to be the accepted time to do it.

Aside from what is brought down in terms of שליחות a Rov is usually busy non stop in the weeks leading up to pesach and over Yom Tov with the many shaalos that come up. This coupled with the fact that making pesach can be daunting financially even for those doing ok the rest of the year, is probably why there is a widespread minhag to give the Rov a small hakaras hatov by mechiras chametz.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 12:52:25 PM »
This whole idea is interesting. My father z"l didn't have this minhag, but my in-laws do, and my wife insisted that we follow along. I usually give the Rav two checks when I sell chometz one for him, and one for Maos Chitim. I also generally don't share the amount I give with others for a lot of reasons.

I often wondered about how this evolved. In my limited anecdotal evidence, I think it has to do with the financial model of your shul (or of the shul the family member you inherited this minhag from)

Most shuls have one of two models:
- A membership model where you pay one big membership dues per year that covers all costs of the shul
- A pay-for-play model (for lack of a better term) - where you pay a small or no membership fee, but every little thing has a dollar value - i.e. aliyah auctions etc.

in the former, especially in a large shul, I would image tipping the Rav is a lot less prevalent, because the Rav is drawing a decent salary, and it's likely that the shtellar is a his main parnash.

in the latter, especially if it's a shtieble, I think people are more inclined to give, as every little dollar goes to help the Rav and/or Bedek habayis.