Author Topic: Half-Off Mileage  (Read 3587 times)

Offline SBS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 27
    • View Profile
Half-Off Mileage
« on: June 05, 2008, 08:34:21 PM »
In times of hardship, when European and Canadian Airlines have the audacity to charge fuel surcharges on FREE Mileage Award Redemptions (even on partners which themselves don't charge a fuel surcharge!) it's nice to see those same airlines giving discounts on the amount of miles needed for an award.

For a in-depth analysis from DANSDEALS.COM of the various airlines and their fuel charges SEE HERE: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/3740.

I am aware of only two airlines (both charge fuel surcharges) which have a significant mileage discount for award tickets.

1) FLYING BLUE (Air France / KLM) PROMO AWARDS: They release every two months a list of destinations which cost half the price for redemption (a.k.a. 25000 instead of 50000 to Europe). Right now they have flights from Dallas and Toronto to anywhere in Europe where KLM flies. Its 25000 for a r/t or 12500 for a one-way redemption. SEE HERE: http://www.flyingbluenews.com/promotions/spendingmiles/promoawards.html. They also have a myriad of other destinations at Half-Off.

2) VIRGIN ATLANTIC: They release promo fares to/from UK. The current promo is for 50% off Economy tickets from the US to London if booking before July 31st for flights before July 31st, 25% off Economy tickets booked before July 31st for flights after July 31st, and 20% off Economy-Plus rewards. SEE HERE: http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/us/frequentflyer/spendmiles/rewardflights/flightsformiles.jsp. This means that a flight to London can cost 22500 Virgin Atlantic miles plus Taxes and Fuel Surcharge (about 300 total).
Available for Sha'alos

levi

Re: Half-Off Mileage
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 08:38:25 PM »
Way to go SBS!! Thanks for the great info. Would you know, if I have my miles that I earn from flying Continental go to my Air France account will I still recieve the elite bonus of 100% more?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 08:42:08 PM by Levi »

Offline SBS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 09:58:24 PM »
I am against depositing miles into Air France because you end up paying fuel surcharges on ANY flight, regardless of whether the airline charges the fuel or not. Regarding your question: I don't know whether you will get the Elite bonus, and I doubt you will. Anyways, just get triple... Once in Air France and twice in CO.
Available for Sha'alos

levi

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 02:08:54 AM »
I am against depositing miles into Air France because you end up paying fuel surcharges on ANY flight, regardless of whether the airline charges the fuel or not. Regarding your question: I don't know whether you will get the Elite bonus, and I doubt you will. Anyways, just get triple... Once in Air France and twice in CO.
I thought the fuel surcharges were only if you fly on there own metal?

Offline SBS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 03:25:57 AM »
I thought the fuel surcharges were only if you fly on there own metal?

NO. AirFrance is the only carrier which will charge you a fuel surcharge to redeem a All-Continental flight when Continental themselves don't charge that surcharge. As an example, A flight EWR-CCS-EWR cost 35000 miles on Continental +44 in taxes. The SAME FLIGHTS on AirFrance cost 35000 miles AND close to $300 in taxes and "fees"
Available for Sha'alos

Offline sns

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 07:40:50 PM »
I am against depositing miles into Air France because you end up paying fuel surcharges on ANY flight, regardless of whether the airline charges the fuel or not.

how about if im only flying one way(moving from israel), would it be worth it to transfer starwood points into flying blue and pay the fuel surcharge? or should i rather transfer to lan?
 is there anyone else that allows redeeming for a one way?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:45:11 PM by sns »