Author Topic: If not Sprint, who else?  (Read 1808 times)

Offline The Travelin Man

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
If not Sprint, who else?
« on: September 26, 2011, 01:04:04 PM »
Maybe you guys can give me some advice....

Myself: Has 1st gen Evo 4G; cracked the screen; has Sprint's unlimited 450 mins plan ($69+10), with a 15% corp discount + TEP plan; not too techie a guy, but I get by.

Question: I took the phone to the local Sprint store and they told me that they could not just replace the cracked screen on-site - needed to call the insurance company and they would replace for $100 co-pay.  OK, fine.  Realizing that I could technically get out of my Sprint contract due to changes in the terms and conditions this month.  That would make me a free agent.  But, I guess I'm not sure if there is another reliable provider who can match Sprint for service and quality of phone.

What bugged me is that they could  have fixed the screen on-site, hassle-free.  Instead, they make me go through the insurance company, which is a hassle.  They are offering the same Evo 4G to new subscribers for the same $100.  So, if a new subscriber can get the same deal that I can get - after having paid the insurance premiums for the last year and change, it would seem that I could get a similar phone elsewhere as a new customer, no?

I went to a Verizon store today and their phones seem much more expensive than the Sprint equivalents.  Their HTC Thunderbolt (closest thing to Evo) was $249 with new subscriber agreement, and the monthly service would be about $20 more than I am paying now - for "less" service, even though I don't use the "unlimited" nature of my data/text plan to their fullest.  Their new Motorola handset was $300, with new agreement, while Sprint's Photon (seemingly equivalent) is $200.

So, my questions are this....

(a) Should I just suck it up, pay the $100 and keep Sprint?
(b) Try to find something else equivalent from another provider?  Who might that be?
(c) Get the new $100 Evo; port my number to a pre-paid company; get new phone from Sprint (Photon? Evo 3D?) and sell the new $100 Evo on Ebay/Criagslist?

Honestly, from a financial perspective, (c) sounds like the best of all options - but, it sounds like a hassle.  I would be interested in the most hassle-free option, as well.  I travel for a living and am currently in Austin, TX, but based out of central Florida.  So, hassle would also have to fit into  an aggressive, on-the-road work schedule.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline ceejay

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: If not Sprint, who else?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:13:49 PM »
Do you need 4G?

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:21:30 PM »
Radioshack has a sale this week on verizon phones.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »
VZW phones are cheaper from places like amazon wireless.
Sure it's more expensive, but it's not Sprint.  'Nuff said.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline The Travelin Man

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 01:32:31 PM »
VZW phones are cheaper from places like amazon wireless.
Sure it's more expensive, but it's not Sprint.  'Nuff said.

Dan,

Right after I posted this, I started searching around and found the deal on Amazon Wireless for the Motorola Droid Bionic, which would end up being about the same $100.  It just adds to the hassle factor - I liked the idea of walking into the VZ store and walking out with a new phone.  Any chance they'll match Amazon?

Also, assuming that I do switch to VZ, you would, no doubt, recommend still getting the brand new Evo for $100, yes?

Offline The Travelin Man

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 01:47:09 PM »
Do you need 4G?

4G isn't even available where i live, but I travel a lot and is usually available when I am out of town.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 01:58:33 PM »
Actually the Droid Bionic is $149 from AW and you also get a $50 Amazon GC with purchase.
That's $200 less than from VZW.  VZW would not price match AW for me.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline The Travelin Man

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 02:19:58 PM »
Yes.  There are also some additional credits available in the app store, for mp3 and from Kindle, I think.

If the store won't match, then it will be through Amazon Wireless for me.

Do you have any idea whether I can pull my card from the Evo and use in Bionic?  Or what the going rate for a new Evo would be on Craigslist?

Offline Jakob

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 03:30:16 PM »
You can use your EVO card in your VZ phone. SD cards are pretty much standard spec.