Author Topic: Planned legislation limiting credit card rates to 15% - What are DDFs thoughts?  (Read 1786 times)

Offline CreamofSoup

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Sanders and AOC are planning on introducing the Loan Shark Prevention Act establishing, among other things a 15% cap on credit card interest rates. Marketwatch has an interesting take on this that I hadn't considered, stating that this "could be the death knell for credit-card rewards programs."

I think death knell may be a bit strong and overly dramatic, but I could see significant devaluations happening across the board. I don't play the game nearly as intensively as most here, but I am a hobbyist so this piqued my interest and I'm curious how others may feel about the not-yet-proposed legislation and the effects it could (in theory) have on rewards programs.

Personally, I doubt the bill will pass in it's entirety (too many big bank lobbyists) but I wouldn't be surprised if some portion of it (namely, stricter regulations on loan sharks) did.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
We've been there with government mandating certain mortgage programs, and we know how that ended.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Sanders and AOC are planning on introducing the Loan Shark Prevention Act establishing, among other things a 15% cap on credit card interest rates. Marketwatch has an interesting take on this that I hadn't considered, stating that this "could be the death knell for credit-card rewards programs."

I think death knell may be a bit strong and overly dramatic, but I could see significant devaluations happening across the board. I don't play the game nearly as intensively as most here, but I am a hobbyist so this piqued my interest and I'm curious how others may feel about the not-yet-proposed legislation and the effects it could (in theory) have on rewards programs.

Personally, I doubt the bill will pass in it's entirety (too many big bank lobbyists) but I wouldn't be surprised if some portion of it (namely, stricter regulations on loan sharks) did.
I think we've all experienced cases where banks basically do whatever they want to customers, so having real rules around that would be huge.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
We've been there with government mandating certain mortgage programs, and we know how that ended.
Thus selfish banks

I think we've all experienced cases where banks basically do whatever they want to customers, so having real rules around that would be huge.
These rules have nothing to do with those things.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Most CC companies waive interest payments in many instances anyway.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
Thus selfish banks
These rules have nothing to do with those things.
If they're doing it about points, they are probably doing it for fees also.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
[citation needed]. Interest is what keeps the lights on

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Card issues make their money primarily from interest and the interchange fee. It's the "losers" who pay these high interest fees who are paying for our First class flights and 5 Star hotels.

Offline CreamofSoup

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
For a lot of us this may be true - but this is a combination of knowing how to ask and rarely being in a position where any interest would be accrued anyway. Waived interest is far from the norm.

Card issues make their money primarily from interest and the interchange fee. It's the "losers" who pay these high interest fees who are paying for our First class flights and 5 Star hotels.
Do you think that the lower rates (and thus "losers" paying less) will effect the value of points though? We're already/still seeing significant devaluations across a lot of major programs.