Author Topic: Please don't overwhelm our brothers  (Read 43637 times)

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Re: Please don't overwhelm our brothers
« Reply #360 on: July 19, 2023, 07:02:33 PM »
Let's talk about the other side of the coin, when Chabad doesn't appreciate YOU.

I brought a cooler full of cheese and milk to Chabad of Iceland, who haven't had CY for ages and we're living on almond milk. Everyone was delighted, except for their little daughter who wanted to know why "this milk tastes strange" 🤣...
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 19, 2023, 07:17:25 PM »
Would love to hear a Shliach's perspective to some of these posts... anyone here on DDF?

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 19, 2023, 08:32:33 PM »
Where do you see shluchim getting mad at a small or no donation?

I simply stated my experience, with a lesson which I think applies across the board. Regardless I do recall some talk about it here in previous posts…

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #363 on: July 19, 2023, 09:48:43 PM »
Would love to hear a Shliach's perspective to some of these posts... anyone here on DDF?

Shluchim have posted on this thread. Dan's post is very much influenced by Shluchim, and those I have heard from, including one from a relatively popular frum tourist destination, think his post was excellent.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #364 on: July 19, 2023, 09:52:32 PM »
https://twitter.com/elinadoff/status/1681729976066818049

This is an oft overlooked thing. If you are in a rural place, if the Shliach is lucky enough to have a minyan, he is always the chazan, baal koreh, speaker, Kiddush preparer, janitor, gabbai, etc etc. Don't be bashful, take the amud. No one is going to know if you are butchering the ivrah or the tunes, besides the Shliach, who will be glad for the break. And if you have a kid who is a teenager, there is no better place to practice and gain some confidence.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 19, 2023, 10:11:21 PM »
Let's talk about the other side of the coin, when Chabad doesn't appreciate YOU.

I brought a cooler full of cheese and milk to Chabad of Iceland, who haven't had CY for ages and we're living on almond milk. Everyone was delighted, except for their little daughter who wanted to know why "this milk tastes strange" 🤣...
Reminds me of a story my mother always tells of cousins of ours that live in some far flung part of Australia who came in for a wedding. My mother went out and bought CY milk for them. The little kids came to the kitchen in the morning before the mother was up, and my mother offered them cereal and milk, but they wouldn't take it. Later their mother explained that they have little concept of CY because it's just not available where they live, so they assumed they weren't allowed to have it.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 19, 2023, 10:26:57 PM »
[tweet]1681729976066818049[/tweet]

This is an oft overlooked thing. If you are in a rural place, if the Shliach is lucky enough to have a minyan, he is always the chazan, baal koreh, speaker, Kiddush preparer, janitor, gabbai, etc etc. Don't be bashful, take the amud. No one is going to know if you are butchering the ivrah or the tunes, besides the Shliach, who will be glad for the break. And if you have a kid who is a teenager, there is no better place to practice and gain some confidence.
Don't forget laining.  If you have can read from the Torah, offer.  I've been at a far flung Chabad minyan where the parsha was split in 3 and at least 1 baal koreh was butchering it.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #367 on: July 19, 2023, 10:29:06 PM »
Don't forget laining.  If you have can read from the Torah, offer.  I've been at a far flung Chabad minyan where the parsha was split in 3 and at least 1 baal koreh was butchering it.
If you're baal koreh, yes. Though if you're not accustomed to it, leining without preparation is not something I'd expect anyone to be comfortable doing, even in a Chabad House where no one can read.